Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

Michelin Commander air pressure.

Hey all, just had my first set of Michelin Commander IIs mounted. So far I really like the ride and handling. What PSI are you all running with these tires?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

41 psi rear and 38 psi front

Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

40 rear, 38 front...

Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #4

Both are good. I run mine 42 rear 40 front. BUT, keep in mind they can be slick on wet running straight, even lane changes. Simply use extra caution when wet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 06-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

34 front, 38 rear

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
34 front, 38 rear
Have you had more than one set? If so how many miles are you getting out of them?

Old 06-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

commander ll front and back. 38 psi front and 40 psi rear. first set of michelins and have not been out in the rain ....yet, but find it hard to believe that michelin would build a motorcycle tire that handles poorly in the rain. I guess I will find out soon enough.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 06-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Have you had more than one set? If so how many miles are you getting out of them?
First set with only about 3K miles so far and no visible wear, front or rear, but I haven't measured the tread depth. At this point, the Bridgestones that came on the bike were well below the indicators. I should have changed them sooner.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie View Post
commander ll front and back. 38 psi front and 40 psi rear. first set of michelins and have not been out in the rain ....yet, but find it hard to believe that michelin would build a motorcycle tire that handles poorly in the rain. I guess I will find out soon enough.
I have ridden in the rain, some pretty heavy. So far, no issues, but I don't feel as confident in rain as I did with the Bridgestones that came on the bike. You are giving up some wet traction with a harder rubber that last more miles. I don't consider it to be poor traction, just a trade off between long tire life and wet traction.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,,, first set of michelins and have not been out in the rain ....yet, but find it hard to believe that michelin would build a motorcycle tire that handles poorly in the rain.............
Think it might have a little to do with your area and the asphalt material used. I can tell you I'm on my third set and I get about 10,000 on the rear before changing it but I do change the front along with it. I ride farely hard and on curving roads. As far as wet roads, some the bike is glued to the pavement. Some roads it is slick as glass when wet. I will say the first 1000 miles is the worst time in rain. BUT I love me some Michelins.

One thing I do is just stop the bike and rub my boot on the paved surface. Tells you real fast how oily the tar is. As always, Stop signs, traffic lights, and hilly tight turns are gonna be slick after a dry spell. Residue from tailpipes and leaking drive train fluids build up in those areas.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
First set with only about 3K miles so far and no visible wear, front or rear, but I haven't measured the tread depth. At this point, the Bridgestones that came on the bike were well below the indicators. I should have changed them sooner.
Followup: I had the front tire off for some other work and measured the tread. It has worn 0.02" in the contact area. That was pretty uniform measuring at a lot of points around the tire. Guesstimate 12K to 15K miles at this time.