Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #16

Make sure you have good tires or a plan for replacing them along the way. The western roads really eat tires up. I left middle TN with 50% of the tread on my rear tire and 1500 miles later I was looking for a replacement in the middle of no where. BTW, there seems to be a strong correlation between the distance to whatever help you need and the amount it is going to cost!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #17

Michelin Commander IIs are sitting in the garage ready to go on.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spondulas View Post
Make sure you have good tires or a plan for replacing them along the way. The western roads really eat tires up. I left middle TN with 50% of the tread on my rear tire and 1500 miles later I was looking for a replacement in the middle of no where. BTW, there seems to be a strong correlation between the distance to whatever help you need and the amount it is going to cost!
LOL... Isn't that one of Murphys Laws? The cost of the breakdown is directly proportional to the distance of recovery, plus complexity of the breakdown, multiplied by the parts required...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 06-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #19

Get your AMA membership!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Michelin Commander IIs are sitting in the garage ready to go on.
Good call... I headed out for Kalispell with a solid 1/3 of the treade on the rear tire. When I reached Kalispell, the center of the tire was bald. Fortunately, the local Kaw dealer had a direct replacement. 2 hours and $300 later I'm back on the road. Hot pavement and freeway speeds will take a toll on your tires..

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #21

I was either farther from help than you were or they just saw me coming. The ONLY shop near me was 75 miles away and I was $ 414.35 poorer when I left there but at least I had a new rear tire.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:49 PM   #22

Spare keyIMG_20170603_213758897[1].jpg
Replace the side cover bolt on the right side with a Phillips M6x45mm. Stash your key in a ziplock in the metal conduits. If you loose your key, anyone has a Phillips, but ask some one for a 4mm hex and you will be there for a while.
SHHHH its a secret. But I Have insurance. And never worry about my keys.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #23

Other than to pack in ziplock bags, I think you have gotten many good suggestions.

Oh, and If you should decide to implement them all - how about a trailer hitch and a trailer to carry them all.

Don't leave with everything packed full, You will probably buy something and it's nice to have a place to put your heavy coat when it gets hot. (A bungee net is always a good bet)
Sunscreen, Chap Stick (Burnt lips hurt), Rain Gear, Phone Chargers, sandals or sneakers (Something to put on while your drying your wet boots), Energy bars 1 or 2 (replace when you get fuel), Cash, Multiple Credit Cards (if you accidentally leave one somewhere you still need a way to get gas), Call your credit card provider and tell them you are traveling (a declined cards is the pits) Oh and have fun. Stop frequently - before your ass hurts - not after.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #24

All great ideas.
+1 on a spare key.
I also make a front & back photocopy of all the documents that will be in my wallet - IDs, credit cards, medical insurance card, bike insurance and registration, etc., and keep it in a waterproof pouch in the saddle bag. Also split cash and CC's between wallet and that same pouch.
Try leave a decent amount of empty space in your luggage and saddlebags. You'll never (re)pack something as well on the road as you do in your living room. It's no fun constantly fighting to get lids and covers closed.
I do carry extra gas in two 1 qt MSR bottles. Good for about 25 miles of NOT walking with my bike.
I always have a good fist aid kit.
I really like those roll up space saver bags for clothing and other soft gear. Would recommend the roll up style over the ones that need a vacuum pump. They really do work, and keep your stuff clean, dry and odor-free.
I also never go anywhere without at least a day pack and some basic emergency gear - food, water, fire, compass, knife - all that kind of stuff. You never know.
And, I'm a cowboy boot guy, so I make sure to have pair of hiking boots or combats in case I have to hoof it.
Grand Junction, CO
VBA Member #: 03362

Old 06-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #25

I'm wondering if carrying a bottle of octane booster would be a good idea. I have no idea if premium fuels will be hard to find in various places. I have pulled into gas stations on the road, sucking fumes to find no premium at the pumps.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I'm wondering if carrying a bottle of octane booster would be a good idea. I have no idea if premium fuels will be hard to find in various places. I have pulled into gas stations on the road, sucking fumes to find no premium at the pumps.
Last year I had to run 1 tank of 87 Oct. non-ethanol. Bike ran fine but I got less mpg. I was running David Sheek's Ecno map in my pcv at the time.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post
Last year I had to run 1 tank of 87 Oct. non-ethanol. Bike ran fine but I got less mpg. I was running David Sheek's Ecno map in my pcv at the time.
I'm surprised you got lower gas mileage. Contrary to popular belief, lower octane does not produce lower power and worse mileage. The exact opposite is the case. I've proven this to myself repeatedly by switching back and forth on bikes that can run both 87 and higher.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #28

Baby wipes

Wipes work great for dirty hands, fuel spills, bug guts in the middle of your shield and the emergency potty stop. Always hydrate your body at every fuel stop. Less is more. Duct tape, zip ties, wire etc take up little room and can save you. First aid kit!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #29

Less than a week until I leave on the trip. I want to thank everyone for some great ideas, some of which I was already doing and many that I wasn't that I will now employ. One of the best is the simplest; spare key on a chain around my neck. I got extra chains for my brothers.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #30

You are so right about the key. I keep a extra one stashed/ hidden on my Nomad