Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
So, you're more concerned with looks than comfort? If that's the case, buy whatever bars make you look cool.
I always thought the people with apes on a bagger were trying to look cool not the other way around. But whatever.

Having apes on a bagger with a fixed or batwing fairing takes away one of the advantages of the design, hand protection from the elements.

Put apes on a Nomad, a Classic, a Road King, but again MY opinion is I DONT like them on a fixed fairing bike.

And I have had apes on an old FXR I had, 16" bars on 6" risers and yes they were comfortable, that was also 15 years ago.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post
I always thought the people with apes on a bagger were trying to look cool not the other way around. But whatever.

Having apes on a bagger with a fixed or batwing fairing takes away one of the advantages of the design, hand protection from the elements.

Put apes on a Nomad, a Classic, a Road King, but again MY opinion is I DONT like them on a fixed fairing bike.

And I have had apes on an old FXR I had, 16" bars on 6" risers and yes they were comfortable, that was also 15 years ago.

You mean cool like this bloke. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/w19_jjJCLBI/hqdefault.jpg

Old 05-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #18
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post

If it takes apes (or whatever you want to call them) to get comfortable, it's well worth it unless you're riding a bar bouncer. On my '08 Nomad, the only way I could eliminate my wrist, elbow, shoulder and back pain was to install a set of DMyers 12.5" bars. On my Victory Vision, the only way to decrease any of those pains was to install a set of 2"up/2"back bars. (I needed 4"up/2"back bars but nobody made them.) Both put my hands in the wind but it was a small price to pay. I had heated grips on my Vic so that eliminated that problem.

I didn't put taller bars on either bike because of looks. Maybe some people put apes on a bike to look cool but that doesn't change the fact that having proper bars help with comfort.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #19

I am probably one of the younger members on here (31 years old) but I do have three ruptured disks in my lower back; L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. I have been dealing with low back pain since 16 years old. If you would like my full story, I can PM it to you.

The biggest thing that I found to help me was finding a good therapist and doing the stretches that he gave me. It also helps a lot to watch my posture while riding to make sure that I am not slouching.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Traded
2002 Honda CB250 Nighthawk - Sold

Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_welder2000 View Post
The biggest thing that I found to help me was finding a good therapist and doing the stretches that he gave me..
This is great advice. Mine is very much under control now that I do the stretches I learned through PT. They are not hard, and don't take long at all. Couple of minutes a day.

So go see an MD and get referred to a therapist.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #21

Boy welder , Tonik . I find your threads very inspiring . When the doc told me I had three bad discs I thought to myself how long would I even be riding for . I stretch everyday and before I go out and ride . So far I've been doing great and haven't had any issues other than slight pain . My bike is set up the way that works for me and I've cured all issues with my wrists and shoulders . I'll keep on stretching and enjoying as many miles as I can get .

Ride safe and enjoy every mile .

Old 05-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #22
Advanced Member

Funny thing when I went to see the family doctor about my back. Jokingly, he said I might need to sell the bike. (he knew that wasn't an option) My wife chimed in, "Well, he at least needs to sell one of them".
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
This is great advice. Mine is very much under control now that I do the stretches I learned through PT. They are not hard, and don't take long at all. Couple of minutes a day.

So go see an MD and get referred to a therapist.
Ohio doesn't require a referral to see a therapist, but it does help. Makes it kind of nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
Boy welder , Tonik . I find your threads very inspiring . When the doc told me I had three bad discs I thought to myself how long would I even be riding for . I stretch everyday and before I go out and ride . So far I've been doing great and haven't had any issues other than slight pain . My bike is set up the way that works for me and I've cured all issues with my wrists and shoulders . I'll keep on stretching and enjoying as many miles as I can get .

Ride safe and enjoy every mile .
I have been riding for 10 years now. The first 8 were not bad, but I was on a Honda CB250 which is a "standard" bike so my legs were under me and I leaned forward just a bit. When I went to a cruiser with the 900 (in 2015) is when the problems really kicked in. That first year was hell on my back. I really thought I screwed up getting a cruiser. Ended up spending three days in the hospital in Sept 2015. I really thought about getting rid of the bike and be done riding, (many people around me played into this thought) but I knew I would not be happy with myself. That is when I started talking to my dr and a pain management dr along with a surgeon and the therapist. I made it through 2016 without any major pain and so far into 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Funny thing when I went to see the family doctor about my back. Jokingly, he said I might need to sell the bike. (he knew that wasn't an option) My wife chimed in, "Well, he at least needs to sell one of them".
My dr really wants me to give up riding, but he does concede that it helps with some other problems so he doesn't push the issue too much

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Traded
2002 Honda CB250 Nighthawk - Sold

Last edited by boy_welder2000; 05-25-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #24

My Chiropractor thinks it's pretty cool to be able to ride . Something he always wanted to try but didn't . I tell him it's never to late ... He laugh's and says how about I just keep you going for as long as I can .

So far so good .... I foresee a lot of miles in the future .

Glad things are getting better for you and you can enjoy riding . I've told my wife I would quit when I can no longer do it in complete comfort .

Things I would do if I were to quit ................. ???????? ........

Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post

Glad things are getting better for you and you can enjoy riding . I've told my wife I would quit when I can no longer do it in complete comfort .

Things I would do if I were to quit ................. ???????? ........
I've heard my wife say I'll ride till I can't hold up two wheels, then go to three wheels.

I'm taking that as permission to buy a three wheeler.

Hey, nobody likes a quitter.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash