Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #31

Quote:
but the foam reduced in the middle of the seat causes it to cup my groin which I don't like. It also leaves you with no room to move around at all, locking you into one position
So basically you have a stock seat, reshaped??

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
So basically you have a stock seat, reshaped??
They did put memory foam in it along with reshaping it. I have a feeling their modification service works really well on other OEM seats. I had a V-Star 1100 that had a stock seat that was pure torture to sit on for more than twenty minutes. The Road Star seat is almost a duplicate of it. This mod would probably be great on those seats because they start off so awful.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #33

Maybe you could look local for someone to cut some out of the front. That will give you more room for your junk. Mine was just shaved on the back so can sit back some and have more room for my junk. This Is why Ron Jeremy does not own a Vaquero.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #34

Just got a call this am, seat is being shipped, as soon as the carrier pigeon drops it off, I'll stick it on and see what it feels like, fingers crossed .
Terry,
What's your thoughts now after having it a few more days, better, same, worse?...........Mike

Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Just got a call this am, seat is being shipped, as soon as the carrier pigeon drops it off, I'll stick it on and see what it feels like, fingers crossed .
Terry,
What's your thoughts now after having it a few more days, better, same, worse?...........Mike
My opinion of the modification has softened somewhat. I mean they can only do what they can do with what the OEM seat pan will allow. The seat is not as low as I was hoping, but it is lower. The biggest problem I have now is how tight things are in the groin, but if I was at my ideal weight that probably wouldn't be a problem. I'd probably be able to place my feet more firmly on the ground also because my thighs wouldn't be pushing my stance wide. That's all on me. I just tried an Ultimate Seat and immediately sent it back. Their statement that their seats sit at the same height as a stock seat is bull shit. I was on tip toes! With the unmodified stock seat I was just shy of flat footing. I wasn't impressed with the quality either. The nose of the seat didn't center on the tank and the stitching was crooked. I have a Mustang arriving today. I'm hoping it at least sits me at the same height as the unmodified stock seat but with more comfort than where it is now. If it doesn't I'll just send it back and live with the modified stock seat.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #36

Well the Mustang arrived this morning and I ran it home over lunch to check it out on the bike. It's going back. You must all think I'm nuts by this time. It sits about the same height as stock but sits too far back for me. So the final verdict on the Mean City Cycles modification, where this whole thing started, is it's not perfect but I can live with it. I could keep the Mustang, but it would require either new bars or risers that pull the bars back further than Chuckster's risers already do, which would probably require longer break and clutch lines which I don't want to bother with. Maybe I'll give an update after the two week trip through the West and Pacific North West. Right now there is no butt burn during a two hour ride, so I'll probably look back at this in a couple months and wonder what I was thinking. It sucks sometimes being so particular.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #37

This just gets better and better. Now that I've determined I don't want the Mustang I can't get the damn thing off the bike. The stock hardware from the original passenger seat gets mount on the Mustang one piece setup and the whole thing took some pushing and shoving to get it to lock into place. I've turned the key on the locking mechanism to the point where the key is bending and it won't release. Anyone got any idea as to how I can get it to release?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #38
Top Contributor

If you had to push on the seat to get it to latch chances are you have to push on the seat to get it to unlatch ?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #39

Quote:
The stock hardware from the original passenger seat gets mount on the Mustang one piece setup and the whole thing took some pushing and shoving to get it to lock into place. I've turned the key on the locking mechanism to the point where the key is bending and it won't release. Anyone got any idea as to how I can get it to release?
My stock seat is just as bad to release, as redjay said, you have to push down...hard and back slightly to remove it. When I do remove it, I'm nervous as hell about breaking the key.
Get someone else to help and you sit on the seat and bounce it down and back. I think on my stock seat it's the cushioning on the seat forcing it up and putting tension under the latch. I feel your pain............Mike

Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #40

Thanks guys. I got it to release by pushing down on the back edge of the Mustang passenger seat. I was getting nervous. Thought I was going to be stuck with a seat I don't like. It's a great seat but not for short people on this bike, unless your handlebars are pulled way back. It would be a good solution for bigger riders who find the newer Vulcans to be cramped. With the stock seat I have my highway pegs adjusted so I have a pretty good bend in my knees with my feet up on them. With the Mustang knees were locked, legs straight, it's that much further back.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
This just gets better and better. Now that I've determined I don't want the Mustang I can't get the damn thing off the bike. The stock hardware from the original passenger seat gets mount on the Mustang one piece setup and the whole thing took some pushing and shoving to get it to lock into place. I've turned the key on the locking mechanism to the point where the key is bending and it won't release. Anyone got any idea as to how I can get it to release?
Had the same problem. Removed the left side cover and pushed down on the cable mechanism with a flat blade screwdriver to get it to release.

After getting the seat off, slightly loosened the two screws holding the mount plate. Works great now with the Mustang or stock seat.

Ist post here for me on this forum. Have been a member of the Kawasaki Vulcan Delphi forums since 2003. Post as Geo.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:38 AM   #42

Difficult latching is a common problem with the Mustang seat on the 1700's. The cure is to remove the latch from where it's bolted under the seat, add a washer under the latch, then bolt it back up again.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Difficult latching is a common problem with the Mustang seat on the 1700's. The cure is to remove the latch from where it's bolted under the seat, add a washer under the latch, then bolt it back up again
Good tip, I may do that with my stock seat when it arrives since it's a pia to remove, thanks.........Mike

Old 05-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Well the Mustang arrived this morning and I ran it home over lunch to check it out on the bike. It's going back. You must all think I'm nuts by this time. It sits about the same height as stock but sits too far back for me. So the final verdict on the Mean City Cycles modification, where this whole thing started, is it's not perfect but I can live with it. I could keep the Mustang, but it would require either new bars or risers that pull the bars back further than Chuckster's risers already do, which would probably require longer break and clutch lines which I don't want to bother with. Maybe I'll give an update after the two week trip through the West and Pacific North West. Right now there is no butt burn during a two hour ride, so I'll probably look back at this in a couple months and wonder what I was thinking. It sucks sometimes being so particular.
No. You are not nuts. You bought something to fix one issue. If the new item creates another just-as-bad or worse issue send it back if there isn't an easy fix. I ran into the exact same thing with a Corbin seat. I was looking for more comfort and lower seat and the Corbin seat moved me back about 2 inches. I waited too long to send it back and was stuck with it. I installed a set of risers (Scootworks PhatRisers 1XVB) and this helped a lot but I am still a little too far from the bars for my liking but livable.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
No. You are not nuts. You bought something to fix one issue. If the new item creates another just-as-bad or worse issue send it back if there isn't an easy fix. I ran into the exact same thing with a Corbin seat. I was looking for more comfort and lower seat and the Corbin seat moved me back about 2 inches. I waited too long to send it back and was stuck with it. I installed a set of risers (Scootworks PhatRisers 1XVB) and this helped a lot but I am still a little too far from the bars for my liking but livable.
Moving the seating position back must be the default setting for the aftermarket seat companies when it comes to this bike. One of the most heard complaints of this series of Vulcans is cramped ergonomics. Being a short guy with short arms, it was a selling point for me. Just wish they would have provided a lower seat height.