Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #16

First impression doesn't sound good but maybe it will be better after a break-in period. I realize you don't have too much time before your June trip though. Good luck with your decision. Sorry the first impression wasn't like you expected.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Well I got the seat back today and my first impression is it was a waste of money
Damn, not what I wanted to hear for the money it's costing. Hopefully mine will be better but it doesn't sound promising......Mike

Old 05-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Well I got the seat back today and my first impression is it was a waste of money. As I've said before, the seat was not uncomfortable to me before, so I had the mod done to hopefully get my feet planted flat on the ground. No way is it more than a half inch lower and it doesn't feel any narrower at the front. Before I could just see over the top of my wind shield and now it's right at my line of sight, which is going to be annoying. I could have handled looking through it, but I'm not happy with the top right at my sight line. After being told the seat would be two to three inches lower I thought I'd end up looking through it. There's a little less pressure at the tail bone but that wasn't really a problem for me. For those that do have a problem with that this mod might help you. I only road about 45 minutes so I can't comment on long ride comfort. The seat is firmer but isn't shaped any better. I'm leaving on a two week motorcycle trip the end of June so I'm going to have to determine soon if this seat will work or if I should order a Corbin.
TerryD, where in Iowa are you? I have a spare stock seat, which has been modified with a gel insert by my bride and I. It would be possible for more stock foam to be removed and just the gel pad used for the main seat cushion. I'd be willing to meet and work with you before your June ride. That might give you time to work with Mean City on yours...
Just offering...
Smokier

Old 05-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Damn, not what I wanted to hear for the money it's costing. Hopefully mine will be better but it doesn't sound promising......Mike
I wouldn't panic yet. You're getting double decker memory foam and mine is just single. Plus I wasn't going for more comfort, just a lower seat height, and it is, just not as much as I was hoping for. Something I didn't think of before my last post is I could always raise my wind shield a bit, since I was expecting to end up looking through it anyway. I also should state that I have really thick thighs and if I just lost a little weight it would go a long way towards getting my feet planted flat on the ground. It's something I'm working on and really needs to happen for my health.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #20

Can you lower your windshield?
It's always better to look over the top than thru it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #21
Top Contributor

I cut the windshield on my Yamaha 1300 Tourer last week using a jig saw and a fine blade. I cut it while it was on the bike. I took 2 inches off first and tried it then took another inch off. Not hard to do.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Plus I wasn't going for more comfort, just a lower seat height
Same as I'm after. My a$$ is padded enough LOL.....Mike

Old 05-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I cut the windshield on my Yamaha 1300 Tourer last week using a jig saw and a fine blade. I cut it while it was on the bike. I took 2 inches off first and tried it then took another inch off. Not hard to do.
I did that on my Nomad windshield before I bought the fairing. Made a template of the top using bristol board and used lots of painter's tape under the jig saw and on the other side of the shield .

After I got the height I wanted I sanded first with a belt sander to smooth out the cut marks and then by hand with a sanding block. I was happy with the results and liked being able to look over the shield.

Could not find MEK to seal the sanded edges.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #24

I've always found it easier to cut the bottom of the screen rather than the top... You don't have to be so careful to tidy it up, and it's normally more of a straight line.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #25

Quote:
After I got the height I wanted I sanded first with a belt sander to smooth out the cut marks and then by hand with a sanding block. I was happy with the results and liked being able to look over the shield
If you sand it first and the go over the edges ---lightly---with a propane torch it'll clear the edges right up. Try it on the cut off piece first to be sure.
I had made a set of clear lowers for a Nomad I had and that's what I used, worked great......Mike

Old 05-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #26

I just went ahead and ordered an Ultimate Seat. It's supposed to be the same height as the stock seat but with a narrower front. They can probably make it narrower than Mean City since they're making their own seat pan. I'm going to see how that works out before taking saws to my windshield. They have a fifteen day no hassle return policy so if it's not an improvement over what I got from Mean City I'm not stuck with it.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #27

Quote:
I just went ahead and ordered an Ultimate Seat.
Well that sucks after paying money for something and it doesn't work. If I end up doing the same I'll be royally pi$$ed having to buy another seat. Worst is, If I do have to buy a seat, it'll be like gold getting it here in Canadastan.
Did you just get the drivers seat? Any idea yet if you can use the stock drivers backrest?
Let me know what you think of the seat if you don't mind.
****EDIT***
I emailed Ultimate and asked about the seat , this is their reply:
our seat is close to the same width in the nose as stock, I don't
believe you will gain anything better to flat foot.
Our seat is the same position to the handlebars.
Depending on which driver backrest you have and how it attaches whether it
will work properly.

Last edited by MrMikey; 05-13-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #28

Took my seat to a local car upholstery shop. Big deal what ever, but they shaved away the back part of the seat that was always pushing me forward. Big difference but not life changing, its still the stock seat. Saved on the shipping. I think Mean city cycles has better knowledge but tried to save a few bucks. Its still the stock seat, and foam. Just like I could have to pay x2 as much with shipping.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-15-2017, 02:15 AM   #29

I hope the Ultimate Seat works out. Maybe you can sell the Mean City seat and get most of your money out of it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I just went ahead and ordered an Ultimate Seat. It's supposed to be the same height as the stock seat but with a narrower front. They can probably make it narrower than Mean City since they're making their own seat pan. I'm going to see how that works out before taking saws to my windshield. They have a fifteen day no hassle return policy so if it's not an improvement over what I got from Mean City I'm not stuck with it.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #30

Here's an update after a few days riding on it. There is definitely foam taken away from the back portion that gives most people problems and that part is more comfortable since it's not pushing on your tail bone. After two hours of riding yesterday I had no burning butt problems but the foam reduced in the middle of the seat causes it to cup my groin which I don't like. It also leaves you with no room to move around at all, locking you into one position. The seat in stock form kind of did the same thing but not to this extent. I have a feeling the success of their mod depends a great deal on what the stock seat gives them to work with. Other brands might see more success because of different seat pan configurations. Someone with a smaller backside than me would probably be more comfortable with this seat mod. If I end up liking the Ultimate Seat arriving on Thursday, this one will be for sale if anyone wants to give it a try. Admittedly I'm not giving it much of a sales pitch.