Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Anyone talked to Mean City Cycles?

Has anyone talked with Mean City Cycles recently? I just sent out my seat today for them to modify and their phones don't seem to be working and it's making me nervous.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by terryd; 05-01-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #2

They have had storms in that area. Maybe phone lines are down.
Don't be nervous.....
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-02-2017, 06:07 AM   #3

Now you're making me nervous. I sent mine there early so I wouldn't be tempted to ride too soon after I got my hip replaced, they're not supposed to touch it 'till the 19th..............Mike

Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Has anyone talked with Mean City Cycles recently? I just sent out my seat today for them to modify and their phones don't seem to be working and it's making me nervous.
I talked to them first thing yesterday morning. The first time I reached out and very friendly and seemed business as usual. Next seat mod availability was in June, so business is strong, at least from that standpoint.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I finally got a hold of them via email and everything is fine. They were just incredibly busy. They're seat mods have become very popular.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #6

Whew, that's a load off my mind. I had all worse case scenarios running thru my pea brain LOL..........Mike

Old 05-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Whew, that's a load off my mind. I had all worse case scenarios running thru my pea brain LOL..........Mike
Which mod are you having done?

Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 AM   #8

Double decker memory foam as well as getting the sides shaved. I'm a short a$$ at a 5'9", 29"< inseam. I can flatfoot the ground now but I'm looking for a bit more.............Mike

Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Double decker memory foam as well as getting the sides shaved. I'm a short a$$ at a 5'9", 29"< inseam. I can flatfoot the ground now but I'm looking for a bit more.............Mike
You're taller than me. I'm just shy of being able to get my heals planted. In most situations it's not a problem but with the bike being so heavy it makes backing it up a pain because I can't get any leverage with my legs. I'm having them lower the seat as much as possible. They claim they can go three inches which would make a significant difference for me. That's going from a 28 inch seat height to 25.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
They claim they can go three inches
Wow, I didn't think there's any way you'd get that much, trying to remember my seat I don't know how you'd get three inches, unless they're counting what you'd get when you narrow it up. Here's the email I sent to them when I was first thinking about it:

I'm wondering what you can do to lower the seat of if it
is even possible, I don't have to move back any, just
lower, rough price? How much could you comfortably drop it,
if you even can?

Their reply:
Based upon your height and weight I would recommend the double decker memory foam for $175 and we can lower 1 inch and shave the sides where your legs go down. If you wish to schedule, please contact the office to set up an appointment.........Mike

Old 05-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Wow, I didn't think there's any way you'd get that much, trying to remember my seat I don't know how you'd get three inches, unless they're counting what you'd get when you narrow it up. Here's the email I sent to them when I was first thinking about it:

I'm wondering what you can do to lower the seat of if it
is even possible, I don't have to move back any, just
lower, rough price? How much could you comfortably drop it,
if you even can?

Their reply:
Based upon your height and weight I would recommend the double decker memory foam for $175 and we can lower 1 inch and shave the sides where your legs go down. If you wish to schedule, please contact the office to set up an appointment.........Mike
Probably because you're going with the double decker memory foam. It's hard to lower the seat three inches when you when you're adding 3 inches of memory foam. I'm surprised they can give you an inch.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #12

You can get some more at your shocks...another couple of inches, without any ill effects....
A few inches at your seat, a inch or so at your shocks, its not hard to get comfortable putting your feet down....
http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45956

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 05-03-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
You can get some more at your shocks...another couple of inches, without any ill effects....
A few inches at your seat, a inch or so at your shocks, its not hard to get comfortable putting your feet down....
http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45956
I'm hoping the seat mod will be enough. It should be since I'm only a quarter inch from flat footing now. I refuse to lower the bike's suspension since it's already handicapped from not enough ground clearance. Even if I couldn't get a lower seat I still wouldn't do it.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #14

I'm interested in how your seat turns out. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I'm hoping the seat mod will be enough. It should be since I'm only a quarter inch from flat footing now. I refuse to lower the bike's suspension since it's already handicapped from not enough ground clearance. Even if I couldn't get a lower seat I still wouldn't do it.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #15

Well I got the seat back today and my first impression is it was a waste of money. As I've said before, the seat was not uncomfortable to me before, so I had the mod done to hopefully get my feet planted flat on the ground. No way is it more than a half inch lower and it doesn't feel any narrower at the front. Before I could just see over the top of my wind shield and now it's right at my line of sight, which is going to be annoying. I could have handled looking through it, but I'm not happy with the top right at my sight line. After being told the seat would be two to three inches lower I thought I'd end up looking through it. There's a little less pressure at the tail bone but that wasn't really a problem for me. For those that do have a problem with that this mod might help you. I only road about 45 minutes so I can't comment on long ride comfort. The seat is firmer but isn't shaped any better. I'm leaving on a two week motorcycle trip the end of June so I'm going to have to determine soon if this seat will work or if I should order a Corbin.