Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-16-2017, 03:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
Yeah, I'm a passenger on the same boat Mate. My Aunt left me bucket loads. They always leave it to the no-good low-down sorriest one. Yuck yuck.
Then you get about a half dozen coming around with the sad heart ache stories. I toll "em all I done went out and invested it in Apple stock.

I felt pretty terrible about that so I'm gonna go shopping for a Maserati to ease my troubled heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a fan of the Maserati.I reckon a motorhome/RV, with a garage big enough for my bike will do for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
The bike was originally exported to the USA,but was returned last year,in a container load of old bikes.There is a market here for the old British,and Japanese classics.I found a bloke who ships them in from the USA.He was doing a show in Kempton Park a couple of weeks later,so my brother went to see what he had.He was hoping to buy a Bonneville,but they were too much money.So he settled for a very sad looking N15,with a few bits missing.He paid £1800, and bought it home in his pick-up.It has now had a total nut & bolt rebuild.He fired it up last weekend,it started 3rd kick,and ran like a sewing machine with a rorty note.
If you like reading,here is a history of the Norton Hybrids.

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/history/atlas-hybrids-1

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/history/atlas-hybrids-2

Thanks Mick, that was a good read!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Thanks Mick, that was a good read!

Glad you enjoyed it mate.The Mag has now now packed up,so he is fitting electronic ignition until he can get it rebuilt.After all the time it was stored,the magnetism has all but gone from the magnets,and the condensors are weak.A $500 rebuild is in the pipeline,+ the $250 for the electronic set up,so he can ride it in the meantime.I am not sure what he has spent on the rebuild,or what the bike is worth,but the look on his face when it first fired up,was priceless.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
There is a market here for the old British,and Japanese classics.
Close to 40 years ago I worked for a while with a welder from New Zealand, who was buying any Norton he could here. He would fix them up, crate them and ship to his brother in Australia. He said they made good money on them as in that market at the time they were still preferred over the Japanese bikes. Thanks Mick for the info.
VBA #02217
06 Nomad
Buy the ticket, Take the ride.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #20

There's an old bike shop downtown here and the gent has 3 Nortons (one is a Johhny Player version), several BSA's and Triumphs, a few Puch's, Husky's, etc.....he also is a Royal Enfield dealer. I stop once in a while to browse. Fun.............

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
There's an old bike shop downtown here and the gent has 3 Nortons (one is a Johhny Player version), several BSA's and Triumphs, a few Puch's, Husky's, etc.....he also is a Royal Enfield dealer. I stop once in a while to browse. Fun.............

It should look like this,if its a JP Commando.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #22
Top Contributor

I cant see your link to the photo (wont load) but it should be black with gold pinstriping.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #23
Top Contributor

I had a 71 Commando and if I remember correctly they had an issue with main crankshaft bearings. I replaced them on mine.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I cant see your link to the photo (wont load) but it should be black with gold pinstriping.

That'll be the later rotary engined bike then.Genuine ones are as rare as rocking horse shit,and i doubt thats what it is.And you are right about the main bearings on the 750cc engine.Both Norton and Triumph suffered with vibration,and balance,when they raised the the power from 650cc.Norton tried to disguise it on the Commando,by using the isolastic frame,basically rubber mounts absorbed most of the vibration,but that only hid the the problem from the rider.They eventually cured it when they upped it to 850cc.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a1e127a5e8.jpg

Last edited by mick56; 05-18-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
That link is a you tube video.This is a 1974 bike.
http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/uploa...%20CONCEPT.jpg

Old 05-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #26

Yep, that's what it looks like Mick..............painted yellow though. Looks very un-comfortable.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
Yep, that's what it looks like Mick..............painted yellow though. Looks very un-comfortable.
There are many replica's out there mate,some even have dodgy provenance.They were originally built for an hours thrash around the track.Not the sort of bike for a days riding is it.Like the BSA 500 Gold Star,there are more of those registered with various clubs around the world,than were ever built at the factory. ,.