Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > National Rally 2017 - Lake George, NY

Old 02-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #1

Have you thought about attending a rally?

Have you thought about attending a rally? Let me explain how it all started for me.

I got back into riding after almost 30 years. I bought an 800cc bike to commute to work and enjoy with my wife Mary. After one vacation 2 up and the bike loaded, Mary was all for a bigger bike. After some research I bought a 2006 Nomad. I came by the forum while trying to figure out why the Nomad would sometimes stall when I was coasting. Fortunately I found the solution on the forum and it was a simple matter of turning up the idle.

I must admit, I don’t post much on the forum although I visit on a regular basis. I thought the tale of my first rally might be worthy of a post.

So one day back in 2010 I was visiting the forum and noticed that there was going to be a rally at Lake George in NY. I thought it might be fun riding with some other riders. So I asked Mary if she was interested in going. To this day I remember her reply, “Do I have to wear chaps?” I told her I didn’t think so. She was also concerned that the other riders may drink a lot and raise hell during the ride. I said that if we didn’t enjoy riding with them, we could just go off on our own. So we decided to give it a try.

Well, the rally turned out to be a great time. I believe Larry from the Northeast US and Norm from the Canada East were our hosts. When almost all the riders have the same model bike, you can’t help but have something to talk about. I’m always amazed at how each rider personalizes their bike. The other thing I found is that riders of cruisers tend to be around the same age. Just another thing in common. And if you’re wondering what the ride was like, we road at a reasonable speed, there’s no alcohol during the ride, and the roads and scenery were fantastic. By the end of the week, we had made new friends and couldn’t believe the rally was over so soon.

We enjoyed it so much that we have attended:
2010 Lake George, NY
2011 Maggie Valley, NC
2012 Wellsboro, PA
2014 Lincoln, NH
2015 Eureka Springs, AR
2016 Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada

So, if you’re thinking about attending a rally, I say give it a try. I think you’ll have a great time. And if you go to the national rally in Lake George, I’ll see you there.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #2

Nice endorsement... Thanks for the input
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

Just like onesherpa I got back into riding after 30 years. I was looking for people to ride with and info on my Nomad when I found this site. My first rally was in Antlers and I was hooked but my wife still didn't want to hang with "gang members". After a little coercing I got her to Antlers and she loved it.

If you haven't been to one of our rallies your missing out.
So take a chance, book a room and join in the fun

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I posted something several years ago about coming to either a regional or a national rally. Being a internet forum, it is important to attend a rally. Instead of being a name on the internet/forum, you can actually put a face to a name. Interaction after that face to face becomes different. In some cases, I have developed very good friendships from this forum.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 02-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #5

Agree with what has been said already. Like Joel said, it is great to put a face to the names you see on the www and in some cases build some good friendships.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

AMEN........... Amin

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

Yes I second what has been said. My wife and I met some great people in Mont Tremblant last August. Fantastic time was had with a lot of laughs. Looking forward to meeting some more good folks in July

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445

Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #8

Dave, do you think Mary will wear chaps if I bring her a pair as a gift
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
Top Contributor

I remember Dave and Mary talking about the chap story and I bet most people don't have tattoos well maybe natural ones
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #10

Tim, still no chaps for Mary.
And Larry, looking forward to catching up at Lake George, where it all started.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesherpa View Post
Tim, still no chaps for Mary.
And Larry, looking forward to catching up at Lake George, where it all started.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #12

Worried

Some Canadians in the local area have made the news lately as they were unable to get into the USA. One was detained for several hours then turned away. Apparently this is happening on a regular basis . All are Canadian born,one lady had a trip planned to visit her relatives she was told she needed a visa to enter the US and she was told to go to a US Consulate and get one. Both her and her sister were turned away. They then went to the US Consulate and told what are you talking about you don't need a visa to enter the US. I am a little concern I may not get in the US when heading to the Rally in Lake George. I would be pissed if that happens,a real money loser. Probably shouldn't post this when they check my IPad at the boarder and see this,O well no freedom of speech anymore.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

Trump has issued a new more lenient immigration policy.
I haven't read it yet but seriously doubt if it would keep Canadians from coming into the US.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #14

Jeff Lagerquist, CTVNews.ca
Published Monday, March 6, 2017 4:13PM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, March 7, 2017 12:55PM EST
A Canadian citizen says she was denied entry into the United States by border officials, who told her she needs to obtain an immigrant visa in order to cross.
Manpreet Kooner, 30, was born in the Montreal-area to parents who came to Canada from India in the 1960s. She and a group of friends were stopped at the Quebec-Vermont border on Sunday en route to a spa getaway.
“We gave in our passports and we were asked to come inside to be questioned,” she told CTV News.

TC :just one story that has been in the news lately ther are a lot more.

Once inside, Kooner says she was singled out by U.S. officials, who questioned her for over five hours, taking her fingerprints and photograph while searching the vehicle they arrived in.
She says she found the incident bizarre given that she was travelling on a Canadian passport and has no criminal record.
“They made me sign a paper saying I’m not allowed to enter the states because I’m an immigrant travelling without an immigrant visa,” she said.
Kooner’s friends, whom she says were not asked additional questions, pleaded with U.S. officials, insisting she is indeed a Canadian citizen. That’s when she says a female border agent made a disturbing comment.
“She did say, ‘I know you may feel like you’ve been trumped,’” an apparent reference to U.S. President Donald Trump.
Trump signed a scaled-back version of his controversial ban on travellers from several Muslim-majority countries on Monday. A previous executive order issued five weeks ago was blocked by U.S. judges shortly after it was signed.
Trump also promised to impose “extreme vetting” measures on foreign visitors during his election campaign.
Kooner believes she may have been flagged because of an incident last December at another Canada-U.S. border crossing, where she says border guards denied her entry to the U.S. due to a “computer glitch.” She says came back the next day and crossed without incident.
“I didn’t really think anything of it. I just thought, (it’s a) random search, (and a) computer glitch. He wrote up something to justify it, and we were able to get in,” she said.
Immigration lawyer Neil Drabkin wonders if this could be an example of the Trump administration’s “extreme vetting” in action.
“This may well be an instance where just because of the colour of her skin, she many have been singled out and subjected to further questioning,” he said. “This is a troubling story because Canadian citizens do not require a visa to visit the United States.”
A U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesperson declined to comment on an individual admissibility inspection on Monday, noting that possession of valid travel documents does not guarantee entry to the United States.
Kooner’s story was brought up in the House of Commons on Monday amid broader concerns about racial profiling at the border.
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale told reporters that each country has the sovereign right to control its borders.
“We also have the high expectation that all of our citizens will be treated respectfully and in a fair manner,” he added.
Kooner says U.S. border officials were short on answers as to why she was denied entry, directing her instead to the U.S. embassy in Ottawa.
“I went to the U.S. embassy and was told by them, ‘Why are you here? You’re a Canadian citizen. You don’t need a visa. That’s odd,’” she said. “It just feels like a vicious circle.”
Kooner worries this latest incident with U.S. border officials will hurt her chances at future travel in the U.S. She plans to visit Miami for a bachelorette party ahead of her wedding in June.
“I’m being treated like a criminal when I go to the border, but I haven’t done anything wrong,” she said.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #15

David, I'm sure you will be able to attend the rally.
Just a short story of my entry into Canada last year. Not for the Regional.
Cindy and I and another couple crossed at Wolfs Island.
Cindy and I had to stand 30 feet away from our bikes while the border attendant went through every piece of luggage, each saddle bag and our windshield bags. Needless to say I was not happy. When he was done I asked what he was looking for, he said firearms. Why I asked, because you belong to the National Rifle Association he replied.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]