Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

Aftermarket Stereo Installation Just Got Easier

A lot of guys have been installing aftermarket stereos on their bikes and long ago someone tried to get a group buy on an adapter to allow the installation to be more of a plug-n-play deal. The guy who they were going to use wanted $350 per adapters. I can't find that post now but I remember it well!!

Well, we aren't quite plug-n-play (yet) but I have developed a harness plug to make things much easier since you will no longer need to cut any of the factory wiring to install an aftermarket head unit and steering wheel interface!!

See it Here

This has been a few months in development and I'm finally happy to bring this to anyone who is looking to install an aftermarket head unit and SWI controller!! There are 17 wires, eight of which are for front and rear speaker connections and the remaining nine are for connecting the head unit and SWI (such as the PAC SWI-RC). You'll still need to connect the wires to the radio and SWI including the resistors, but all of this can now be done on your workbench!

The best part is all of the wires MATCH the OEM wire colors!! The shade may not match exactly but they are the same colors which means all of the install videos are still perfect to help you get this done. Only, unlike those guys, you won't need to harm your factory wiring harness!

And because none of the OEM wires have been cut - it can be returned to factory if you ever sell your beautiful scoot down the road!

It's now possible to install a head unit, speakers (front and rear (I have something coming for this, too!)), amplifier and SWI without cutting a single factory wire. So for anyone who has been on the fence about this, I have what you need!

The parts to assemble this are not cheap, from the wiring, to the pins, to the epoxy not to mention the special tools and the assembly is very labor intense. You'll find similar plugs for automobiles online for much less but those are mass-produced and these harness plugs are 100% built by hand so I hope everyone understands the price point. If you value your time as I do you'll quickly learn the time and frustration this harness can save you is well worth the price!

More information is found on the website at the link above but let me know if you have any questions!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2017, 12:27 AM   #2

This sounds great. I appreciate your hard work. I have two questions. How difficult will the Aftermarket Stereo installation be using your adapter? What is the approximate cost, not including head unit or new speakers? Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Put it this way: every car has an aftermarket adapter available to install an aftermarket head unit in it. There is nothing available for our bike. The only way to make it easier would be for him to install it for you too...

Old 06-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #4

LOL, Lumberjack!

Glenn, the end user will still need to attach the wiring and install the resistors necessary to operate the PAC SWI-RC. This has always had to be done on the bike and it was necessary to cut nine (9) of the factory wires. Back when these mods started with amps many people cut into the speaker wires as well (eight more wires).

All of these wires are in this harness plug. You can place your stereo harness (included with head unit) and the PAC controller on your bench along with this plug and do all of your wiring there. Or, hell, buy your best electronics buddy a 12-pack and let him do it on his workbench, lol. In the past, if a shop did this mod, they needed the entire bike. The most difficult part - and it's truly not that difficult - is soldering in the resistors. Basically, if you can splice wiring, you can do all of the stereo upgrades yourself at home and save big $$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
This sounds great. I appreciate your hard work. I have two questions. How difficult will the Aftermarket Stereo installation be using your adapter? What is the approximate cost, not including head unit or new speakers? Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #5

Thanks for doing the Plug kit Randy. I found the plug on line,... But for 70 bucks I will Buy yours and just plug in. After I solder the resisters. That's a lot of R&D you do for a low volume machine. You ain't going to get rich on these Mods. Thanks

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

the radio install is fairly easy, the resistor can be a pita but there are plenty who have done the upgrade now I have a couple of videos posted on you tube and have helped quite a few out. if anyone has any questions I have no problem helping out. Randys adapter wasn't available when I did my install so I spliced the wires but it to can be reverted back to stock if needed.

here is a link to the resistor installed:

here is a link to an overview of the install:
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit