Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Steering stem bearing socket

Where can I get a socket for the steering stem bearing at? I want to check torgue now and this winter I plan to change to the tapered bearing, so will use it a couple times.
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Advanced Member

www.gbmotorcycleproducts.com
I have his socket for my vn1700 and one for my Yamaha, they are great quality. Takes about 2 weeks to ship from England.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #3

I bought two 36 mm sockets from O'Reily's. One regular to take the top nut off and one an axle socket. I used my drimel to cut down the axle socket to fit the bearing nut. Since it was deeper than a normal socket, I didn't even need to remove any material from the inside. $20 at O'Reily's. A cheaper, regular socket would do, but you would have to remove material from the inside for it to fit over the stem.

20170619_153242.jpg

20170619_153250.jpg

Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

How far Did you have to cut the nut down??

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
How far Did you have to cut the nut down??
About 10mm. I didn't get a perfectly even cut all the way around, but it was pretty close. Could have been less than 10mm, but I wanted to make sure I had the keys long enough the first time. It ended up being a good depth.

I scored the opposite sides of the diameter, then at 90° to that scored the sides again to make the 4 keys. I extended those marks about 10mm down from the top. Then I scored down about 3mm to each side of those marks to make the keys 6mm wide. They only need to be about 4mm - 5mm wide, but I wanted them big so I could grind them down to just fit. Finally I scored a ring 10mm from the top all the way around.

The way I marked the X for the keys caused 2 keys to fall into the valleys of the socket points and 2 on the apexes. Any way you mark them, you are going to have to trim some width from every key to make it fit (see below).

I used a cutting disks to cut down the outer marks of each key and the bottom of each section I was cutting out. Then I used a grinding wheel to slowly narrow the keys until they were a good fit when inserted with the socket to the side of the nut, not over it. When I had all 4 to where they fit that way, the keys still would not slide into the slots with the socket over the nut. At that point, I realized that the walls of the socket were too wide, even at the point valleys so I started grinding out material from the inside of each key. Going slowly and trying to achieve equal thickness for all 4 keys, I finally got it to fit.

With a shorter socket, I would have had to grind out some material from the inside to make room for the threaded end of the stem. The axle nut socket was deep enough that I didn't have to do that, but cost a few dollars more.

It took about 2 hours, taking my time and testing the fit often. Be sure you use the Drimel on high speed and let it cool occasionally. And wear eye protection! I had sparks from cutting and pieces of very sharp metal flying everywhere!

Login or Register to Remove Ads