Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Vance & Hines Exhaust

I recently bought a 2011 Voyager all stock. Did a lot of reading on here about the heat issues with the hot exhaust. Sent ECU to Ivan, love the way bike runs now. Took head pipes off and wrapped with header wrap, huge difference. Bought Vance & Hines slip-ons, looked nice but were too loud for me also had a terrible resonance noise at highway speed. Just couldn't stand it drive it at highway speeds. Called Vance & Hines and got no were with them. Bought them because of there reputation was very disappointed with Vance & Hines, will not be a repeat customer with them. Bought Cobra Tri Ovals, LOVE them. Nice looking, aggressive sound on acceleration but nice tone at highway speed. Would recommend Cobras over Vance & Hines

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

Welcome from Northern California!

I installed the Cobra Tri Flo slip ons on my Voyager (with the ECU reflash) and they do sound great. Not too loud and great for highway speeds.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #3

does running an aftermarket exhuast (slip-on or full system) help the bike run cooler on top of the ivans reflash?

Edit to add: i've made up my mind on getting Ivans done for a cooler running bike alone. Just wondering if the exhaust upgrade is even worth the coin for the purpose im seeking?

Old 06-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #4

anyone running the cobra 4 inch, billet tip slip-ons? Sound compared to Tri-flos?

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #5

Mine seems to be running cooler. My thought is the stock exhaust is restricted and the slip-ons are a straight tru design. That lets the exhaust out easier and it gets rid of the heat also. My hot leg issue is gone also. The Ivan tune makes the bike run so much better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Top Contributor

V&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmav351 View Post
I recently bought a 2011 Voyager all stock. Did a lot of reading on here about the heat issues with the hot exhaust. Sent ECU to Ivan, love the way bike runs now. Took head pipes off and wrapped with header wrap, huge difference. Bought Vance & Hines slip-ons, looked nice but were too loud for me also had a terrible resonance noise at highway speed. Just couldn't stand it drive it at highway speeds. Called Vance & Hines and got no were with them. Bought them because of there reputation was very disappointed with Vance & Hines, will not be a repeat customer with them. Bought Cobra Tri Ovals, LOVE them. Nice looking, aggressive sound on acceleration but nice tone at highway speed. Would recommend Cobras over Vance & Hines
Seems to be a common occurrence with V&H customer service, its non existent.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #7

Second that about V&Hs lack of....

Yeah just bought and installed my V&Hs slip ons and they are too damn loud and they do not offer their quiet baffles for this model. The customer service dude referred me to Big City and they want me to measure the inner and outer diameters of my exhaust head pipe to see if their 1 5/8" baffle will fit?
Ivanized ECU 59C

Old 06-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinFairfax View Post
Yeah just bought and installed my V&Hs slip ons and they are too damn loud and they do not offer their quiet baffles for this model. The customer service dude referred me to Big City and they want me to measure the inner and outer diameters of my exhaust head pipe to see if their 1 5/8" baffle will fit?
I added the Smartpartz baffles (SPZVH400TSR) and it mellowed the exhaust, still has a little bit of bite under hard acceleration but much better than before. Figured for $70 it was worth a try and I am happy with the results.

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVH400TSR.html

Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkat View Post
I added the Smartpartz baffles (SPZVH400TSR) and it mellowed the exhaust, still has a little bit of bite under hard acceleration but much better than before. Figured for $70 it was worth a try and I am happy with the results.

Looks similar to the $10 plates I got from a plumbing shop- screwed in they do the same job.✅

2012 Nomad 1700
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
Vance & Hines slipons

2005 Classic 800(sold)

Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphere0284 View Post
does running an aftermarket exhuast (slip-on or full system) help the bike run cooler on top of the ivans reflash?

Edit to add: i've made up my mind on getting Ivans done for a cooler running bike alone. Just wondering if the exhaust upgrade is even worth the coin for the purpose im seeking?
I don't know if slip ons will be cooler but you will notice an increase in power which I'm sure you will enjoy.
Ivan's ECU reflash
Chuckster's Risers
Chuckster's Badge Plate
Chuckster's Trailer Hitch
Custom Shaped and Cut Lowers

Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #11

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkat View Post

Thanks Makkat! I ordered a set of those baffles today. Much better price than the non- purpose made Big City Thunder at 130.00 per set vs 70.00.
Ivanized ECU 59C

Old 06-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphere0284 View Post
anyone running the cobra 4 inch, billet tip slip-ons? Sound compared to Tri-flos?
I have a set of the cobra 4228 pipes ordered. I hope to do a before and after video to compare the stock pipe with 2 baffles removed vs the Cobra pipes.
Freedom Performance Eagle Slip Ons
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing

2017 Indian Springfield
Wife who is a great cook!
Manning, SC

Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #13

If anyone is looking for some Vance & Hines slip ons I have mine for sale. They were on bike for 3 days and I took them off. They look like new because they are new. Have all the original packaging that came with.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #14

I am interested in the slip-ons. Where are you located?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmav351 View Post
If anyone is looking for some Vance & Hines slip ons I have mine for sale. They were on bike for 3 days and I took them off. They look like new because they are new. Have all the original packaging that came with.
Im interested, How much do you want for them?