Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Lets talk about Windshield replacements

I have been looking for a windshield replacement and finally come down to the idea the Cee Bailey is a great choice for a company that produces a high quality windshield.

Does the factory mounting hardware work very well on them with no stress to windshield and mount flush as good as a factory shield?

Does anyone have one of these and how are you liking the product?

Also I like the light grey tint they mention for the shield again I ask does anyone have this and how do you like the tint?

Any pictures or video would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by buckey1313; 06-09-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #2

Clearview with light tint and recurve on the top has worked great on my Nomad when I had it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #3

Thumbs Up Cee Baily

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
I have been looking for a windshield replacement and finally come down to the idea the Cee Bailey is a great choice for a company that produces a high quality windshield.

Does the factory mounting hardware work very well on them with no stress to windshield and mount flush as good as a factory shield?

Does anyone have one of these and how are you liking the product?

Also I like the light grey tint they mention for the shield again I ask does anyone have this and how do you like the tint?

Any pictures or video would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave
Greetings Dave,

The wife's VAQ has the CEE BAILY, not sure if it is light smoked or not. I have the ClearView in light smoke with recurve. The ClearView shield is slightly darker than the Cee Baily.
The Cee Baily is working out better. The ClearView has been replaced once due to cracking around the mouting holes. I asked if I had over tightened, "no" was the response. The black film at the bottom of the ClearView is wrinkled (my doing) and annoying. The same black film has been worn through from contacting the dash. I have added nylon washers as spacers and that has helped, but too late, the scars are there.

The Cee Baily is demonstrating none of the observations made on the ClearView. The clear lower portion of the Cee Baily is growing on me in a good way.
If I were to buy another shield today, it WOULD BE a CEE BAILY.
Hope that helped, glad to provide pics of either or both...

Ride safe,

Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 AM   #4

Hi Smokier

With your recommend I decided to place the order as I also had a friend who has stated this was the best windshield available for a replacement. I am getting the stock with the light tint.

Will post a picture once I get it installed in a few weeks.

Dave

Old 06-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

I would really like to order one of these myself but I have a problem. Two of the nuts and bolts on my stock screen get jammed when trying to take the off. It's like they get cross threaded turning them out. I ended up rounding off one allen hole on one and can't even try to force it any more. Anyone have any ideas how to get a stripped bolt off?
Ivan's ECU reflash
Chuckster's Risers
Chuckster's Badge Plate
Chuckster's Trailer Hitch
Custom Shaped and Cut Lowers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
Top Contributor

You can drill the head of the bolt off and hope there is enough stud left afterwards to get a pair of vice grips on it to extract the remainder of the bolt. If not grind it flat and try to drill it out and then tap the hole. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

Mask off the area around the bolt with a couple layers of Duct Tape, to protect the chrome plate behind it. Use an oversized drill to drill out the center of the bolt head. You already know the size of the bolt, by the other bolts removed. If you can't get the head to pop off, cut a slot in it with a Dremel tool, that you can use a right angle screwdriver and a visegrip on the nut to help "Persuade" it to pop off.

That's the way I would approach the problem. Your going to have to replace the hardware away.

Good luck..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I would really like to order one of these myself but I have a problem. Two of the nuts and bolts on my stock screen get jammed when trying to take the off. It's like they get cross threaded turning them out. I ended up rounding off one allen hole on one and can't even try to force it any more. Anyone have any ideas how to get a stripped bolt off?
drill it and use a screw extractor, very simple to do.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #9

I'm in the market for a new windshield also. After reading the posts here I've decided on the Cee Bailey. Anyone have any negative input on the Green tint?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #10

Well Nut(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
As you are looking to resolve your issue - keep this in mind. The windshield is held in place using WELL NUTS. Take a look at the parts diagram at http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...0be/windshield

I had one of these bad boys get hosed on my wifes old Spyder and ended up taking it to the dealer to have them fix it. (That's what they get paid for you know)

If it's solid you may be able to cut the top off so you can remove the windshield. If it just spins - when you drill it it just spins.

I don't know your solution - just wanted you to know these were Well Nuts.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #11

Have you tried pushing down on the dashboard ( no other way to describe) when removing and installing the shield. there is a lot of flex in the bolt holes and shield. I saw a video that described pushing down on the dash to align the bolts with the fairing.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles