Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

Question Intermittent wobble following fork service

looking for some insight to an intermittent wobble issue since I did the service on the forks. At first all was fine but after about 100 miles of riding I experienced a wobble at low speed which got my attention! Since then it has happened a few other times and seems to be triggered by a decent bump. The bike just doesn't feel the same.

Here's what I've done. (per instructions on Gadgets page). disassembled forks and drained fluid (completely). Filled with new fluid to level as described 165mm from top of tube at full extension. Re-installed on bike and torque to specs. Rear tire has been replaced as well.

I've shaken everything down on the bike but can't see what the hell is going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Check your steering stem bearings.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatt03 View Post
looking for some insight to an intermittent wobble issue since I did the service on the forks. At first all was fine but after about 100 miles of riding I experienced a wobble at low speed which got my attention! Since then it has happened a few other times and seems to be triggered by a decent bump. The bike just doesn't feel the same.

Here's what I've done. (per instructions on Gadgets page). disassembled forks and drained fluid (completely). Filled with new fluid to level as described 165mm from top of tube at full extension. Re-installed on bike and torque to specs. Rear tire has been replaced as well.

I've shaken everything down on the bike but can't see what the hell is going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Something has changed, usually something simple that's being overlooked.

Sounds like something was not tight enough and things are starting to "walk" on you when you hit a bump.

Did you pull the forks from the triple tree? Did you disassemble the forks to service them?

First thing I would check is the pinch bolts that hold the fork tubes in the triple tree. They need to be TIGHT. 14 foot pds torque.

Next, if you disassembled the fork assemblies, that bolt in the bottom of the lower fork tubes that holds the rebound tube in place needs to be good and tight.

Next, is the axle torqued in properly? Are the spacers on the correct side? Is the wheel rotating in the correct direction.

The short spacer goes on the left hand side, 48.5mm long. The long spacer goes on the right side, 57.5mm long. The calipers probably wouldn't mount correctly if they were reversed.

Last thing, is the top triple tree plate retaining nut tight, is that tight? 65 foot pds torque.

I wouldn't ride much till you get it resolved, as things could go from bad to worse real fast.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

I've seen alot of people when they install the bearing races in the neck, sometimes aren't totally down all the way.....a good hard frontend hit, 800+ pounds of mass on top of that, at 70+ mph....you have the equiv. of a 5lb. shop hammer hitting the neck pretty hard.
Could have a notched bearing, settled a bearing, or the fork tubes if they weren't tight....
Take your time, raise her up, go over the whole frontend with a fine tooth comb....you'll find it....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

+1 on the neck bearings not being seated all the way.

Are you sure you got all of the old fluid out of the forks?

Are you sure you didn't read the wrong side of the line on one of the forks?

Recheck for the 4th time all of the bolts and nuts then check them again.
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

When you put the front tire back on did you seat it by compressing the forks a few times while sitting on the bike?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

Good points from everyone. Thank you.

I've gone back over everything I've done and found nothing new. Going to do it again! The one thing I didn't do was service the head set. Never felt any play in it but that may have changed suddenly. Will let you know what I find.

Thanks again to all.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #8

The stem bearing torque the book gives you is not enough for these bikes I. I have tightened mine on both bikes and I don't have the wobble any more. A good rule of thumb is to get the front end off the ground and the bar goes freely to the left or right it should bounce once then go back and stay there. That's the tightness I have on mine
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager