Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #1

Wheel Chock for Vaquero

I'm setting up my trailer to haul my Vaq and am looking for a wheel chock. The front tire is about 5-3/4" wide so I'm looking at these two:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...MTMWC-01R.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ty-wheel-chock

The attached photo shows what I'm planning on for the tie downs, etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better approach?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160813_065526.jpg (102.2 KB, 41 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Question, Do you have the rear strap threw the rear wheel?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #3

It's not my bike. I found this on a forum. However, yes the rear strap goes thru the wheel as does the front strap. He apparently didn't use a chock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160813_065513.jpg (103.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 06-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
I'm setting up my trailer to haul my Vaq and am looking for a wheel chock. The front tire is about 5-3/4" wide so I'm looking at these two:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...MTMWC-01R.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ty-wheel-chock

The attached photo shows what I'm planning on for the tie downs, etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better approach?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greetings,
The "MaxxTow Adjustable Wheel Chock" (all black) has "out-riggers", looks like it could potentially be more stable. I'd probably go with that one.
Plus the strap *around* the rear tire, as well as the straps from the lower triple-tree down.

Hope that helped.
Travel safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

Thanks, Smokier. Kinda what I was thinking too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #6

Once it's bolted in the 'outriggers' won't matter.

Get whichever one you can get the best price on.

The 2nd one is the same as Harbor Freight sells for $40.

The picture is of a U-Haul bike trailer, it has a built-in wheel chock, kind of.

All the chock does is keep the bike from moving forward while you're strapping it down, so don't go overboard on it.

Spend the money on better straps, easy, quick release straps will make unloading so much easier.

Stay away from Home Depot style straps.

I recently sold a Nomad to a friend in VA and his trailer didn't have a chock.

I took a couple of pieces of 2x4 and screwed them to the trailer to have something for the wheel to rest against, and it rode perfectly all the way to VA.

Strapping through the wheels WILL NOT do anything for you.

You have to compress the suspension somewhat, otherwise the bike will bounce around, and maybe off the trailer.

Kawasaki designed this bike to be trailered easily, just like the Nomads.

I usually drop a strap off each side of the handle bars, then one off each of the crash bars, front and rear.

I've trailered from NC to south FL, and back, over some of the worst roads you can imagine with that set-up with no issues.
VBA 936

Last edited by MAS Tequila; 06-11-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Second what MT said about the uhaul trailer. It has a slot for the front wheel.

I trailered my Nomad using soft ties on the lower triple tree, but I had to remove the windshield lowers to prevent the buckle on the strap from contacting them. No biggie, just two bolts each side. Not sure how that would work on a Vaquero, but I always try to use the lower triple tree. Put some pressure on the forks, but not too much. It's ok if it bounces a little. Don't go all gorilla and blow your fork seals.

the bag guards in the back should make excellent tie down points. All you are trying to do in the back is to keep the bike from shifting side to side.

Be sure to stop about 20 miles from home and check your work to make sure everything is staying tight. Check again at every gas stop.

When you unload, make sure the side stand is down and then loosen the right side of the bike first, so it leans over onto the stand.

Good luck!

PS - i just use the metal loop type chock for the front wheel. It's only purpose is to keep the bike from rolling forward. Oh, and leave the bike in first gear when it is on the trailer.

Last edited by mrbreeze; 06-14-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

I have two of these from CycleGear, and love them! You can either bolt it in or use straps to secure it if temporarily using another trailer. It has rings so that you can strap the wheel down into the chock, nice and secure. I then use two soft-tie straps on the lower portion (unsprung) of the front forks and then use a screw-shut ring to connect the soft-tie to the tie-down. Pull forward with the ratchets. I then use two more soft-tie straps through the frame behind the tranny, just in front of where it curves up. I cross-tie these (left side gets tied with ratchet on right side) and pull to the rear. Note that this does not compress the suspension, which is what I want to avoid. The bike is free to bounce up and down all it wants to, but no movement side to side or front to back. No worries about compressing springs and blowing out seals. No worries about hitting a bump and the suspension traveling far enough for a strap hook to fall out. Yep, been there, scary as hell! I just completed 2,800 miles round trip to SD, so I can say that this works. Oh, all my straps are rated for 1,000 lb working strength. Do not go cheap on straps!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 06-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Thanks all for the great tips. I got the chock coming from etrailer. Got heavy straps 1300# working load with hooks with latches. Just need to get some high strength soft ties.

Thanks again, all