Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-10-2017, 06:22 AM   #1

Buying my first Vulcan, seeking comments

Greetings!

I believe I have identified a bike that suits my needs....for now. It will be my first Vulcan and the first bike I've owned in more than 20 years.
It is a 2001 fuel-injected, 1500, with about 40K miles. It appears to be in good shape and the cosmetics look good. My question for the forum, is this. "What are the things I should be asking or looking for specifically before I hand over the cash". I know this is a broad subject, but I am know the experience available on this forum will allow me to make a more informed decision. Thanks in advance!

Sky

PS, in case I posted this on the wrong forum, I will also put it on the 1500 forum, hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Greetings, Congratulations and Welcome.
Which 1500 is it, Nomad, Classic, Mean Streak?
Don’t remember what year KAWI changed the POG (Plastic Oil Gear). Not something you can look for, but it was a potential issue.
The 1500's were/are solid bikes. For a bike that is 16 years old, just look for the signs of good maintenance. No long-time leaks. I'd change all the fluids. Coolant, drive shaft, etc.
The 1500 has an oil screen on the underneath left side of the engine. The next time you change the oil, change it there and make sure all that big junk is out of there.
pull the tank and look at the fuel lines.
Basically, I'd be more concerned with her age than any one thing. Not that a 16 YO Vulcan is a problem, they are solid bikes. Age is hard on rubber and plastic.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Advanced Member

01 will have the steel oil gear. Ask if has had cam chain extenders on it, if not it probably needs them. Not a hard job if you are handy.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #4

Thank you both! That is exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate the help!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

Thanks ALWhite00 for the clarification.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #6

Congratulations on your new Vulcan and welcome to the forum. I ride an 02 Nomad. Smokier is right about the maintenance on these motorcycles. You take care of it, and it will take care of you. These bikes are VERY well built. However time does take it’s toll on rubber parts and fluid. I had my front braking system start responding stiff and sluggish last year, the problem was easily resolved with a fluid flash. Get yourself a Service Manual, specific to your model and year. Take a look at the maintenance schedule. It’s a great guide to know what to address and when. If you haven’t found it already, check out the Gadget web site. It’s specific to Kawasaki Vulcan’s… http://www.vulcangadgets.com/

Ride safe, and keep your head on a swivel. Assume NOBODY sees you out there on the road.
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 06-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawalski Rider View Post
(snip) You take care of it, and it will take care of you. (snip)
Great minds! The exact phrase I say to my kids regarding many things, particularly vehicle maintenance!

Ride safe,
Smokier