Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Planning a hard ride on "the twisted sisters" ,

My father and my self are going to do a spring run in to the texas hill country and ride the sisters.
I am hoping to get any ideas on lodging in the area , gas, food , sites & and of course more roads to take on.
If anyone has traveled this area I would love the input .
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

Your budget and your tastes are your only limiting factors. The wife and I have done this many times at all times of the year. There are some constants for us. After trying a number of places to stay, we prefer the Super 8 in Kerrville, Tx. Kerrville offers a lot to do and see on it's own with all the modern amenities and stores. Great eats and very centrally located. Two places to eat in Leaky as far as I am concerned, one is the Bent Rim. Nice view out the back, great food. Many choices of burgers. The other place to get what I consider the best burger I have ever had is the Hog Pen. But, you have to get there early, they run out of meat for the burgers early. Fredericksburg has shopping if there are ladies along, and a couple of good rides in that area, especially in spring. The willow loop, and old #9 down to the bat cave. Third weekend of the month they have trade days. Blanco has a great little leather/biker/clothing shop called Liz's on the Square. It's worth a trip, plus you can route yourself through Luchembach (don't be dissapointed). But the riding is nice in and out of there. Take 39 out of Leaky going back to Kerrville. It's a serene pretty and nice all round ride. The best gas in and around leaky is South on 83 just about 3/4 of a mile from town. There is a lot more, and many options on places to stay. I'll let some of the others fill you in. These are just some highlights. Enjoy, be safe.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #3

Lots of good info Paul. Great area to ride.
337 near Vanderpool is something special.
Beautiful country.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 01-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Your budget and your tastes are your only limiting factors. The wife and I have done this many times at all times of the year. There are some constants for us. After trying a number of places to stay, we prefer the Super 8 in Kerrville, Tx. Kerrville offers a lot to do and see on it's own with all the modern amenities and stores. Great eats and very centrally located. Two places to eat in Leaky as far as I am concerned, one is the Bent Rim. Nice view out the back, great food. Many choices of burgers. The other place to get what I consider the best burger I have ever had is the Hog Pen. But, you have to get there early, they run out of meat for the burgers early. Fredericksburg has shopping if there are ladies along, and a couple of good rides in that area, especially in spring. The willow loop, and old #9 down to the bat cave. Third weekend of the month they have trade days. Blanco has a great little leather/biker/clothing shop called Liz's on the Square. It's worth a trip, plus you can route yourself through Luchembach (don't be dissapointed). But the riding is nice in and out of there. Take 39 out of Leaky going back to Kerrville. It's a serene pretty and nice all round ride. The best gas in and around leaky is South on 83 just about 3/4 of a mile from town. There is a lot more, and many options on places to stay. I'll let some of the others fill you in. These are just some highlights. Enjoy, be safe.
This is a lot of good info, thanks !
About how long (time) does it take to ride from kerrville and complete the sisters ? I am assuming that with fuel and food it would be the better part of a day.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #5

I rode from Killeen, did the Sisters and back to Killeen in two days. Spent the night in Leakey (sp). It's a nice country ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #6

Reddwood, you can leave Kerville, do the whole route, 335, 336, 337 and some more and be back in about four to five hours. Of course, you may want to just make the day and see the museum, ride out to Garner, Catch a snack at the apple store in Medina on the way to the sisters. You can divert a little and go to lost maples. Stop and take pictures. Stop at the Lost maples general store. Get a guide and good map, or check out Riding Texas on line. If you take your time and make most of those stops you will make a day of it. Good luck and have a nice ride.