Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Blind Spots

I had a nasty scare this afternoon on the way home. The wife and I were in the cage when I decided to switch lanes. Signaled, turned my head to look back as I usually do. Looked in the mirror and saw nothing. Started to ease into the left lane behind two HDs. About half way into the lane I hear a motorcycle horn and jerked the car back into my lane. Looking in the mirror I see an HD that I almost hit. Even my wife said, "where did he come from?"

The rider was riding in the perfect blind spot. I can truthfully say I never saw the bike. My heart was in my throat as to how close I came to this guy. On the other hand he was not entirely blameless. My guess, maybe he was a rookie rider or was not paying close enough attention.

As the rider passed giving me the expected dirty look I noticed his emergency flashers running. Two miles later when this rider stopped to make a left hand turn the flashers were still on. He never realized the cars behind him had no idea he was going to turn left because the turn signals didn't work.

The questions swirling around in my mind are typical. Was he a new rider? After all it is bike week, did he buy a new ride and was not familiar with it? He was obviously clueless about the emergency flashers and staying out of people's blind spots. More than once he was in somebody else's blind spot. So it wasn't just me.

Of course I have the questions for myself. How the hell did I miss a rider? I always look multiple times. There was nothing in the lane beside me and nobody behind me either. Where did this guy come from? What mistake did I make?

Hopefully I have given everyone something to think about, it can happen in an instant.

Blind Spots! Look for them, avoid them!
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

Blind Spots

Something my dad taught me when I first learned to drive.

When adjusting your cager door mirrors first move to the right until your line of vision is straight into the rear view mirror. Now adjust the RH mirror so the RH side of your cage is at the inside edge of the RH mirror .

Now lay your head against the LH window and adjust the mirror so the LH side of your cage is at the inside of the mirror.

Straighten back up and drive. You will see cars on either side in what used to be blind spots up to a point where the car's front bumper is beside you.

Overtaking traffic in an adjacent lanes smoothly transition from your rear view mirror to your door mirrors to your peripheral vision.

It takes a little getting comfortable with but it really works and has saved my butt many times when I had to change lanes quickly in heavy traffic.

This simple adjustment will eliminate blind spots, will save many a fender bender and eliminate those dirty looks.

What does it hurt to try??

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Blind Spots

I use those little convex stick on mirrors and they have saved me several times.I still turn my head and look as always but this takes care of the blind spot.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Blind Spots

He needs to learn how to get noticed. I try to always stay where I can at least be seen in their mirror.

It is possible he was following a car behind you and you didn't notice and he zipped out to pass at the same time you did. Hard to say though exactly where he was.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #5

Blind Spots

The guy should not be hanging around your blind spot, thats just asking for trouble.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #6

Blind Spots

I might assume he had somewhat loud-pipes.

If so... I rest my case on loud-pipes not being able to be heard by a cage from behind until it is too late; thus do not save lives in many instances as some may think.

Just wondering...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Blind Spots

I once entered a traffic circle in my car that a town had just made, I didn't know it was a two lane circle. As I was making my way around it, I almost hit a MC trying to get by me on the left side. They had apparently painted or taped the divider lines not very well, because as this all was happening is when I saw the divider lines. My bad. Could have been a bad day for both of us.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #8

Blind Spots

Did the same thing in Clearwater Fla. they had remarked the 2 lane traffic circle but had not painted over old markings and boy was it confusing. My wifes new cage (Explorer) has blind spot warning lights in the mirror if something is beside you from rear bumper to front of drivers door a small yellow light comes on in the mirror and this new cage has some serious blind spots glad we got the option. I always try to be in the outside part of lane passing a cage just to give myself room in case they do not see me.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Blind Spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun2wheels
I use those little convex stick on mirrors and they have saved me several times.I still turn my head and look as always but this takes care of the blind spot.
Same spots on both mirrors on my truck, use them for cars, but still look over my shoulder for bikes after I did the same thing to a rider not so long ago. Even have one on my left mirror on the Nomad though it is more to keep an eye out for an escape route if needed than for use in traffic. Ride safe!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Blind Spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun2wheels
+1
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.