Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Pissed voyager heat problems

found this web link about a kit to get rid out heat problems.
http://amervoyassoc.org/Documents/KAMS_Flyer.pdf
just passing it on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Top Contributor

The kit has been around a couple of years and a few guys have fitted it.

Last edited by redjay; 02-25-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

im told that this system makes you feel cooler but the bike engine hotter, im not sure if this is true. I guess im asking if you have heard anything like that.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #4

I have a 2010 Voyager and the heat isn't bad. From what I've seen of The KAMS kit, it blows the radiator heat down at the ground.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
On a water cooled bike no less!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Kawasaki fixed a problem that some owners complained about.
Most found it an issue they could live with, me included.

Last edited by redjay; 02-25-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #7

The heat problem is not I repeat not, as much from the engine as the rear exhaust header. The KAMS kit provides a bigger rad and more enclosed area on the front but the main part is the rear blower that takes the hot air from the rear header and directs it down to the ground. I also installed the heat deflectors, I now get no heat at all on my inner legs and the passenger is a lot happier as well. Not sure if it is still available at cost but I got mine through the US as the Canadian dealers were gouging the customers. $399 in the US, my dealer wanted $799. I told my dealer I was reporting him, the next week it suddenly went down to $499 CDN, go figure.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse d View Post
im told that this system makes you feel cooler but the bike engine hotter, im not sure if this is true. I guess im asking if you have heard anything like that.
No, engine temps are same with or without. But certainly rider and passenger are cooler, it rocks. But along those lines I got into an interesting debate on another forum about the vents in the lowers on the Voyager and how they helped or didn't help. I ended up strapping a recording thermometer we use at work to my leg and riding around with the lowers open and closed at highway speed. End result is with the vents open the engine does run hotter but your leg is cooler.

If you look at the vents from the front you will see they create a wedge shape and force more air into the radiator...so open that isn't happening.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

As tonik said-forcing more air through the radiator with closed lower vents cools better. Any engine with a thermostat and a radiator should be able to maintain a constant temp if the radiator is big enough. I truly believe that a larger radiator in the 1700 would eliminate much of the heat issues. The KAMS redirecting the heated air is a totally different issue. As helpful as less restrictive exhaust, fuel controllers and air cleaners are, they are not the only issue. I think Kawasaki should have increased the radiator size. Maybe a 2 core assembly.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Just for grins I wanted to attach the pic of temp run I did, you can clearly see where the lowers were opened. First part of the run was city traffic to the freeway...then freeway for a bit with the lowers closed. I opened the vents at 4:00 and leg temp drops instantly and dramatically. The gauge on my dash went up...the temp chart you see is inside edge of my left leg about half way between my knee and foot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heat.JPG (63.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by tonik; 02-27-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
I think Kawasaki should have increased the radiator size. Maybe a 2 core assembly.
Maybe, depends what running temp is. I don't know what that is, but we don't/can't drop it too low. I hope MaKaw has set it up to run at the correct temp for fuel mileage, EPA regs and longevity. It's still cooler than any air cooled big cruiser I have ever ridden, and not much different than the big water cooled ones...except the Wing but all the heat on those is trapped in plastic.

Price we pay for shiny chrome.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

The thermostat won't let the engine run too cool unless it's defective (stuck open). The issue is - not dissipating the heat fast enough. If a radiator is plugged or the cooling fan doesn't run you have a similar issue.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Got it, interesting idea. I like it.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #14

KAMS and heat

The KAMS draws rear exhaust heat away and redirects it. Radiator heat is ducted to the ground rather than back to the operator. I don't believe that the KAMS radiator has more capacity. It's just mounted differently to accommodate the ducting. Thermostats are designed to bring an engine to operating temperature quickly and maintain a constant temperature to promote efficiency. The 1700's temp gauge climbs above the thermostat opening temp when it cannot dissipate heat from the system via the radiator. It is dependent on free flowing air over the radiator cores and fins or assistance from the cooling fan. Tonik's research proves this principal. It is just NOT efficient enough to be felt or seen via the temp gauge. Only my point of view based on a lifetime spent in the automotive industry. I would love to have a radiator built and justify my thoughts. As much as redirecting the blast furnace effect helps, I think Kawasaki did not due enough.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 AM   #15

Has anyone else noticed that the air ducted down from the radiator blows right onto the voltage regulator? I'm wondering if anyone has had any electrical issues on high-mileage bikes which could be attributed to this?