Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Went back to stock exhaust

I've gone back to my stock exhaust from my V&H baggers, I wanted to try the stockers for a season and see if I like it better.

I had the bike out for my first long ride yesterday and found I have a lot of heat on the right side of the bike, right at my right calf level. I have the JTD ABS lowers on the bike and a TFI fuel processor.

What if any adjustments do I have to make to my TFI after having switched from the Vance and Hines back to the stock setup? What setting are you all using for a stock 1600?

I didn't have anywhere near this head buildup with the V&H pipes and I'd hate to have to remove the ABS lowers.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

You re-installed the BBQ grill and think it's hot huh?

Set that TFI to 9:00 on pot 4.
Set all other pots to off (counter clockwise)
Re-set pot 1 to best idle.
Re-set pot 2 to best romp, by racing down a 1/4 mile safe somewhere place with no cops.
Leave pot 3 off.

Get a bottle of A-1 sauce for yer right leg.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #3

I'm going to play with the TFI this afternoon and see what I can do. The idle is fine and I'm getting no pinging, also roll on is good, so I'm guessing the settings are not too far off.

So you're saying having your leg 12 inches from a catalytic converter is going to be a little hotter than normal? I guess I didn't realize it was going to generate this much heat.

Might end up back with the V&H pipes on if this is normal, it hasn't even started heating up here yet. Next month we'll be breaking 100 degrees and I can't have the leg frying while the rest of me sweats.

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Might want to consider doing the debaffle. It seems to have taken some of the heat away from the right side after I did mine last August. Just a suggestion.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Did you put the heat shields off of the stock pipes onto the V&H? We did and get no excess heat.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #6

Interesting thread as I've been getting a lot of heat on the back of my right thigh. I have the V&H exhaust with a TFI and rt-side Caddman with a K&N. (Lots of acronyms there). I checked the pipes and connections and everything seems fine, but the heat output has increased this year over last.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #7

If your moving, the heat shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't give worry too much about the heat felt when stopped at a light.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

The heat coming off that BBQ is wicked. You might create your own heat sheilds somehow.

I replaced the stock set up with in the first 3 days of having my 06.

I cooked all the way to Cal from NH with a stock set on y 01, where in Cal a V&H set up went on. The V&H is still plenty warm, but not cook yer legs off warm.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #9

I played around with the TFI setting last night, went with 3-6-1-9 to start and went from there. After a few high speed runs at various setting, I didn't notice much seat of the pants difference so left it at 3-6-1-9 and buttoned it up. Bike runs fine, no ping, didn't notice the heat, but it was cool with a good breeze coming from my right to left. I'll have it out this weekend and will find out the real story.

Didn't have this heat problem with the Vance and Hines. I first noticed it on a 50 mile river rode ride after installing the stock pipes, right calf was cooking.

I'm going to try some exhaust insulation, I've used it on the exhaust tunnel of my 73 Corvette to cut down on cockpit heat. It comes in black and I was thinking of cutting some to cover the right side of the cat and wire it on.

Any cures people have I'm all ears.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
Did you put the heat shields off of the stock pipes onto the V&H? We did and get no excess heat.
Cyclecat, I had no heat problems with the Vance and Hines, just didn't like the noise. I like the sound of the stock pipes, just not the heat.

I think Mac has it right, I bought the bike with the V&H's on and now I'm discovering the joys of having the goat bladder on the bike.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
If your moving, the heat shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't give worry too much about the heat felt when stopped at a light.
This was heat while I was moving, I was cruising along at 55 or so on a cool evening and my right calf was cooking. I took a glove off to feel down in the brake pedal area and it was hot.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Top Contributor

I have never noticed what you describe with my stock pipes on. Maybe because my legs are on the highway pegs as soon as I get the opportunity.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

For stock pipes setting a tfi that way is not the way to get it done buttoned up or not. The book settings are bunk. You can't make all 3 setting in an instant and know whatcha got. I can't you can't and no one can.

No 2 engines the same are the same just don't happen. no TFI units are the same either. No 2 ECU's are the exact same, just don't happen.

The right way and I don't care what anyone else says is to set pot 4 to 9:00 so the unit sees RPM. Then setpot 1 to best idle, and it is likely going from a stock bike to V&H with freer air you will have to turn the black knob DOWN, and going the other way turn the black knob up.

Then once you have things settled like a realistic idle speed you can do pot 2 on a dyno or by the seat of your pants making fast hard runs that should scare you. You have to make many fast hard runs to get the feel for each setting, unless you run up a dyno.

The stock ecu does fine at cruising on the highway, so it should be off, unless there is a need to do 114 MPH over 112 MPH.

After that pot 4 can be lowered. so it won't see all the rp0m for fuel savings. I don't ri8de like my ass is on fire most of the time, so I don't need fuel wasted out the tail pipes.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #14

Mac, it was late in the day and I just didn't have time to do it right. But I'm going to take it out this weekend and spend some time getting it dialed in. Promise.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #15

Now I know why my right calf is so hot. I thought it was just because I ride in shorts when the weather is hot. I noticed it at highway speed recently and attributed it to a cross wind.