Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #16

Well I have not had the good luck to ride a 1600 Nomad but had always liked the style of the 1500 and 1600 Nomads and liked the 1700 when it came out and was able to get a good deal on a leftover 2010 last year. I found that my knees felt a little high in the air compared to my last bike (I'm nearly 6' 3") but of course I put pegs on the hwy bar so I can stretch out. I like the look of the top opening bags but some folks don't. They do not fit up tight against the rear fender in the front which does not look the greatest in my opinion but it makes it easy to put air in the shocks with where the valves are and the way the bags open. Seat on the 1700 is pretty comfy except the way it curves up in the front seems a bit abrupt which probably has something to do with the cramped feeling others mentioned. Not sure if a different type of seat would help or not. I have read the Kawasaki gel seat sits you up an inch higher or so which might make a difference. The cruise control is amazing!!
VBA #01806
Central IL Vulcan Riders

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #17

I've had my 1700 for a couple years and after I installed a pair of pull back risers it is very comfortable for me, I'm 5'9"... The transmission whined for the first couple thousand miles, but went away after broken in.. I had to adjust the belt tension to eleminate a very annoying noise. The dealer said that is was adjusted to spec, but after I loosened it up a little it is very quite now. The stock seat is surprisingly comfortable, but I did add a drivers back rest. The power is good and the sixth gear and the cruise control is great! If you decide to add an air kit and improve the exhaust you will be very very happy with the power.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #18

I went through a similar line before buying my 1600 '08 Nomad, actually I also went through a similar 'question & answer' scenario. The general consensus on this post is what I also agree with - ride 'em both and you get your answer!! The following comments are what I found, your experience on the two bikes may be different.

I rode a used 1700 Nomad first and didn't like the seating position (I'm 5" 11"), plus the heat from exhaust while stopped in traffic was considerable, especially in summer!! On the bike I rode, the screen vibrated and the transmission whined badly in the first three gears - though, this could have been unique to the bike I rode, but it put me off the 1700 none the less.

I then rode an older 1600 Nomad with a Baron BAK and V&H Baggers. The difference was astounding!! To me, the 1600 had more pickup, a more comfortable seating position and seemed as nimble as the 1700. The screen did not vibrate and I noticed no appreciable heat from the exhaust - this alone, probably sold it for me.

Since buying my 1600 just before Xmas, I have done about 800kms so far and have loved every minute of it. The bags are a great size and it is amazing what you can fit in them. It has a debaffled stock exhaust and standard intake (I have just bought one of Chuckster's kits, so am keen to see what difference that makes).

Another thing to consider (if it is an issue for you) is the price. I paid about $4000 less for my 1600 than the average going price at the time for a used 1700, with the difference being only 2 years in models.

Good luck and I hope you find one that suits you. Either way, they are great bikes!!
'08 Vulcan Nomad 1600 - SOLD
'07 Vulcan 900 Custom - SOLD
Ulysses Member #59316
VBA member #01933

Last edited by Ramakill; 02-13-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #19

I have no experience riding the 1700. I've had my '06 1600 for over three years now. At 5'7" I needed pull back risers to make reaching the bars comfortable. It has all the power I need and I've never felt the need for a 6th gear. The one area I can compare them in is looks. In my entirely subjective opinion the 1600 Nomad is the best looking bike to hit the road. Why mother Kaw saw the need to change the look puzzles me to this day.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstar225 View Post
In my entirely subjective opinion the 1600 Nomad is the best looking bike to hit the road. Why mother Kaw saw the need to change the look puzzles me to this day.

Couldn't agree more. When I (recently) bought my Nomad it had to be an '05 to '08 just for that reason. I dig the "stretch" tank and at 5'9" the bike fits me really well (although I may need a little more pullback on the bars). If I'm ever in the market for another it will probably be a 2008.
VBA #01905
VROC #1157

2006 Metallic Dark Green/Metallic Phantom Silver Nomad

Chucksters Single Plate Intake w/K&N Filter
Chucksters Light Bar
Chucksters Coaster Plates
Vance & Hines Bagger Duals
Dobeck PnP TFI
Stebel Air Horn

I have GOT to get out more often...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #21

I went from an 05 1600 classic to an 011 Nomad. Like said, you just need to try both! Both are great bikes & each has it's strong points over the other. IMO, if you put the 1700's cruise control, 6th gear, OEM seat & top loading bags on the 1600, you'd just about have the perfect bike. To me the engine is a toss up. The 1600 tranny is def smoother but the 1700's 6th gear is even better. I like the shaft over the belt, smoother. The 1600 frame is roomier & I like the 1600 tank looks better. The cruise is a gotta have for sure & the OEM seat on the 1700 is far better than the 1600 & even better than my Mustang 1600 seat. Try em both, you can't loose with either one!

VBA #01922