Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #1

Testing riding this Saturday...

Hello,

Been looking for a new bike and after doing some research and with the limited choices it seems (dealers claiming there is no stock), going for a test ride on a 2020 Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS on Saturday.

Got a quote for insurance and got financing all lined up so that if it goes well and everything looks good, I can pull the trigger (twist the throttle).

What should I look for? It is a new bike. I have seen several things people have fixed (like getting the engine chip flashed) but those were all bikes 2 to 3 years old... any word if the 2020 has any improvements over previous year?

I am also thinking about the light kit and then later swapping in LEDs...

And is the heated seat or the gel seat worth the money?

I have tried different pads and an Airhawk for my current bike (I will trade it in), so just not sure if the other seats are something I want to even consider?

Besides mileage (like if it was a demo bike or the sales staff rode it a lot), leaks, scratches, etc... what things are issues to look for on this particular bike?

This will be my third bike, first was a 82 Yamaha Maxim 750, and my current bike is a Suzuki C50 Boulevard. I have been riding my C50 for over 10 years now, but the bike is just a bit small for me (I practically sit on the pillion seat). I put highway bars on my C50 and tried several after market saddle bags, but melted or burnt them all on the pipe. Other than a comfortable seat, a good fit for my legs (ie, controls are not too close), having decent place to carry stuff on the bike is high on the list (I have gotten good at strapping stuff to my C50).

Any suggests would be appreciated.

LDJ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2020, 01:27 AM   #2

Welcome Aboard!

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #3

Greetings, Good luck and best wishes to you on the test ride and acquiring a new scoot!

Yes, you will still want to get the ECU reprogrammed by IVAN's Performance. Dedicated thread and link in this section. It addresses many things, well worth it. When my second VAQ came home, there was less than 150 miles on the clock when the ECU went to IVAN. (Bought it, took a long-way-home-ride, shipped the ECU the next day.)

The driving lights in the VAQ are a nice touch. There are LED options for both the headlight and the driving lights. Many threads around this forum on those topics as well. Well worth it IMHO.

I love the heated seat on my current ride. Love the heated grips even more (Not a VULCAN). The GEL seat mostly does not get RAVE REVIEWS. There are a few who do like it. Most, who do change the seat, go with an after market brand.

If it is a new bike, or particularly low mileage 'used' bike [<3000 miles]. There isn't much to look for. These are very solid machines. The ECU programming (due to EPA emission requirements) is the biggest detractor. After the reflash, the bike will run better. It will run cooler, and get better MPGs. There is a 'dead' spot on decel around 1900 RPMs, the reflash takes care of that as well.

Keep the engine RPMs up. I shifted between 3300~3500 RPM. While cruising, kept it between 2600~2800 RPM.

Ride safe and enjoy!
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 09-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #4

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome and feedback!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Welcome from Northern California! I’m sure you’ll love the bike especially after having the ECU flashed by Ivan.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Welcome from Italy!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Hello and Welcome.
I bought the Kawasaki gel seats for my 2010 Voyager and they were a waste of money, no different for me than stock.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #8

Welcome to vaquero ownership !

I have a 2019 vaquero, been doing the comfort things first on mine . I changed the windshield for a taller one as I couldn’t hear the music now good , did the passenger floor boards , iPod kit since I had an old pod at home also put the gel seat on and for me the driver it was no change in comfort but the passenger gets a wider pad and it seems to be better for her . Ivan’s flash asap as mines pops on deceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #9

welcome from Florida also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger rider View Post
Welcome to vaquero ownership !

I have a 2019 vaquero, been doing the comfort things first on mine . I changed the windshield for a taller one as I couldn’t hear the music now good , did the passenger floor boards , iPod kit since I had an old pod at home also put the gel seat on and for me the driver it was no change in comfort but the passenger gets a wider pad and it seems to be better for her . Ivan’s flash asap as mines pops on deceleration.

where did you get ipod kit...thanks....

Old 09-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #10

I paid full price on eBay for mine , sometimes they come up on the for sale section but I don’t have the patience to wait .

Old 09-13-2020, 01:13 AM   #11

Well, I got it!

So much more power than my old bike! It is very well balanced, the seat is so much better than my old bike's. Still not sure about the radio, but if anything, the weather radio might come in handy (rained on me riding to the dealership on my old bike). Have not even tried the cruise yet (no real highway riding yet).

It had 17 miles on the odometer when I took it for a test ride. When I got home, it had 88.

Never had a windscreen or fairing before, never realized how much energy I spent just fighting the wind on my chest before.

Now, things I am thinking about....

Need to put some highway pegs on (the only ones the dealer had were not even as nice as I had on my old bike for 5 years). I made them give me my old ones back, but not sure if they are really good enough for the new bike. Thinking maybe I should see if there are some black powder coated or non-chrome ones out there...

I also am thinking I need a seat that moves the sitting position back and/or up. I sat on the front edge of the pillion seat on and off on the way home. Sure the highway pegs will help with this some, but it feels like I am sitting too far forward. I will almost always be solo.

I already have ordered the 12" windscreen. I felt like anytime I got over 55, my helmet was a bobblehead.

I also need to order new battery tender leads (if you wait till you need it, you have waited too long). I forgot to ask for them from my old bike.

Protective film? Finally have bags... but I keep kicking the right bag with my heel when I get off the bike. Sure, I need to learn not to do that, but also am thinking of getting like that thick 3M stuff I see people put on their tank to keep their jacket from rubbing?

And the heat through the seat. I think that was partially because I was not using all the gears I had (it feels so capable in 4th gear, several times I realized I was going much faster than I planned and was still only in 4th gear), but also there seems to be a lot of heat. Maybe some reflective insulation sheet under the seat till I can get a replacement or the ECU flashed to cool the bike down?

I definitely experienced the power dip between ~2500 to 2800 RPMs. The bike seems to love to be around 3000 to 3200. It also has no problems from 1800 to 2200.

Lighter jacket, gear. Probably can get away with a much lighter jacket now. Being behind the fairing, I do not get as much airflow as I am used to, so once the heat started coming thru the seat and around my legs, I was standing up or sticking an arm out to get some airflow. I even flipped up my visor to just get some more air to cool off and it was only a bit humid and mid to low 80s. The jacket I have is not really for summer riding. I am thinking maybe one of those mesh jackets? Still thinking on this.

Further down the line I am thinking the light kit, rear leds with the goal of being more obvious... nothing like being able to see the bugs smashed on a F-150 grill in the side mirror at one light because someone was not paying attention and stopped a little bit close. (sure, bright brake lights might not have made a difference)

And is it just me, or are the mirrors like super close to the hands? Several times to flip up or down my visor, my hand would hit the mirror when I moved it to my helmet. Sure, probably another getting used to a new bike... but still, just seems a bit close.

Any advice, solutions, or suggestions appreciated!

Old 09-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #12

Congratulations! Hope you get many enjoyable miles from your new scoot.

Bloomington Ill or Minn?

Seats: Corbin seats tend to move you rearward. Mustang tend to move you UP and closer...

Highway pegs: The Kuryakyn Offset LongHorns in BLACK look really good (IMHO).

Again, CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME!

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 09-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Congratulations! Hope you get many enjoyable miles from your new scoot.

Bloomington Ill or Minn?

Seats: Corbin seats tend to move you rearward. Mustang tend to move you UP and closer...

Highway pegs: The Kuryakyn Offset LongHorns in BLACK look really good (IMHO).

Again, CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME!

Ride safe,
Smokier

Bloomington, IN!

Good to know about the Corbin. Guess I will look at Mustang or custom seats...

I did find the Longhorn highway pegs last night. Definitely on my wishlist.

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions!

Old 09-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #14

Added the battery tender leads, but trying to find a good way to route the wire and secure them so they are easy to access, but do not have to worry about them floppying around or such.

Right now I will have to pop the seat to pull the leads out or tuck them under. The right side of the bike seems a bit busy, but not sure I see a good route (with only the seat off).

Anyone got any pictures and/or suggestions?