Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
[QUOTE=cnc;395081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
I agree with the SENA users. I have one too and love it. If you didn't already know, there's an upgrade available now where you can conference with three SENA users at the same time. So ya find the helmet of your choice and attach the SENA. I bought the additional "harness" that takes the ear buds for the half helmet. It comes with a boom mic.. Then I just have to disconnect/unsnap the actual unit and put it in the helmet of choice. I've been thinking of buying a couple of additional full face helmet "harness's" with mic's for the snowmobile helmets. Do any of the SENA users know if they work well/long in the colder weather??[/QUOTE]

Depends what they are powered by.
Nimh do not fair as well as nicad batteries in the cold according to this, but then again they are comparing cordless drills, which put a heavy demand on the batteries.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...vs_li_ion.html..

Rick, I don't know what you will pay for 2 extra head set for the Sena, but here is something to consider. I recently bought these for the snowmobile helmets and am using them with good success. Clear, good distance, and cold does not seem to be a serious issue for the nimh batteries.
http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/...tooth-set.html
Hi Norm,
Not sure when a guy stops saying Happy New year, but all the best in 2012.
Thanks for the info. The SENA is more money for sure. I think the last time I looked on eBay, a pair of the units complete were about $300. So twice as much. How long have you had yours? I do like the simplicity of using the Sena. And now they have updated the firmware to allow for conference talking between 3. Not the 6 the shark offers but a big improvement to what Sena offered before. I you have good reports on these I might just try them. But first, I need to get back, up country and hope they've got more snow than when I was up there at Christmas. I see a trailer or a skid for the pick up truck in my future.

My apologies for highjacking the thread, sort'a.
Be safe out there.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #17

I'll PM you Rick.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #18

UClear HBC-100

I have been using the UClear HBC-100 and am loving it. I use it with my HJC carbon fiber full face helmet (which I love for its lightness and comfort) - it works great and will work with virtually any helmet. What I love the most is that it’s really small (no wind noise to speak of), it doesn’t have the boom (I hate these) and the sound quality is much superior to everything I have tried before. It’s flat out superior technology at a great price. My girlfriend also has one and we can use it to talk to each other without yelling (phew!). It connects through to my iPhone and I have been using the Pandora app to listen to music which is great. My girl has an HTC phone and it works with hers as well. Full disclosure: I work with a company that works with UClear but have been riding motorcycles for 30 years and have been using the HBC100 for over a year. This thing just works!

You can check it out at http://www.uclearstore.com. I think you all will be impressed! If you have a chance to check it out, I'd love to know what you think.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Top Contributor

I don't have a headset as I ride solo but sometimes a boom mic is necessary if you don't have a full face helmet. No place to mount a mic. If I ever get stupid enough to grab up another old lady, she can just poke me in the ribs if she wants something. Just not that much to say. Besides, I want to listen to the stereo and the pipes.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #20

Headsets are something Ive never considered using on the bike, we have used them on the snowmobiles and found them pretty good overall, the set we had received some interference when around other people with headsets at some of the busier trails, but that may have been preventable with some adjustments.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Headsets are something Ive never considered using on the bike, we have used them on the snowmobiles and found them pretty good overall, the set we had received some interference when around other people with headsets at some of the busier trails, but that may have been preventable with some adjustments.
We had similar issues Steve, but that was with FRS ones. My wife and I are testing out the blue tooth ones this winter and hope to use them on the bike as well. So far so good much clearer.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #22

Midland BT

I use a Midland BT Dual at Amazon it seems often confused with the S or Single version. If you get a dual like from above you get 2 fully functioning headsets that can BT intercom (full duplex). It can also BT mobile like Voice Activation, Nav, Music, heck you could watch video. It also supports FMRS/GMRS/CB radios through an auxillary port. It could also be setup wired for power and external radio. I don't know how much I would trust the connectors. I have yet to opt for a compatible radio to test it. Sound level output leaves something to be desired. I used some foam to space them closer to the ear, huge improvement! Noise cancellation is pretty kick butt, nobody can ever tell. My helmet is also modular, with the face up no problems until highway speeds. Still usable though without doubt.

I have unlimited mobile minutes so I have never used the actual intercom just CDMA, worked well but I rarely have a passenger to test with.

Voice activation seems to be limited to my phone, it works about as well either way. Neither is great. It's the contacts name that seem the most troubling. Also my phone will not read the CallerID so you have no clue who is calling in while riding. I chose not to utilize the auto answer capability of my phone.

If I get something else it will be wired... and cost more then three times as much.

The interface kinda blows... Really though I think most BT headsets do. Anyway make sure you have a copy of the manual at all times. It works well... Just not as easy as it probably could be to get it working.

~$180 for 2 is really hard to beat on price...

Last edited by collinr; 01-25-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Welcome to the forum.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #24

Thanks man.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #25

Picked up a J&M CB setup on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120821468264...84.m1438.l2649

So I'll see how this works out, I would like CB for longer range and broader acceptance.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #26

Modular Helmets

The Shark Evoline 2 is a great design that the chin bar not only flips back on the helmet but the clear shield stays down over your face, has a sun shield, and has it's own bluetooth system available or you could add another brand.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman2011 View Post
The Shark Evoline 2 is a great design that the chin bar not only flips back on the helmet but the clear shield stays down over your face, has a sun shield, and has it's own bluetooth system available or you could add another brand.
The Shark Evo helmet has been of interest to me as I will
be buying a new helmet in the future. I presently have 2
Nolans. But I'm liking the features of the Sharks chin bar.
I found this, it shows how the Shark Evo helmet works.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #28

So I have a question why does the sena cost so much more than the shark set up ?