Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthEast Group

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Update... Future uncertain

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo
Really sorry to hear you went down man. Hope you heal up fast.
I think everyone who has laid it down is hesitant about riding again...and rightfully so. We all need to consider the inherent risks involved with everything we do, and riding is not without risk.
The one thing I have learned though, is that immediately following any stressful event, whether it's an accident, the loss of someone close or whatever, this is not the time to make big decisions. I think it's best to step away for a season and let yourself heal both physically and emotionally. Then you can make good decisions while seeing things clearly.
Wish you all the best.

I could not agree more with taking your time and think about what your going to do. Emotions are running high right now and by the time your ready to ride again your decision may change.

KawaNOW #00454
IBA# 42214

2007 Nomad
2008 Concours

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Wow, Joe... sorry to hear this. I'm glad you and "Mrs. Funi" weren't seriously injured. Sounds like the bike got banged up some, too. I hope they are able to fix your thumb up good as new.

Don't make any hasty decisions. Give yourself some time to recover first. You may want to get back on the horse once the dust settles.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #18
Top Contributor

Joe, I agree with what's been posted......let the time do some healing before you make any decisions. It will heal your bike, you, and your wife's fear....probably in that order.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
VBA Founder

Joe and I have PM'd about this, but I wanted to express how I feel in this thread so it won't look like I don't care.

In situations like this, it's hard to make a decision right off the bat. I have a friend that took a spill in the Texas Hill Country doing 60mph around a curve. He was LifeFlight'd to a San Antonio Hospital and spent several months in traction. He suffered nerve damage and still has problems in walking to this day. Guess what? He still rides.

I also have a friend that took a spill on a small curve at low speed and did minimal damage to his bike. He decided not to ride anymore after selling his bike.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, making a decision like that is an individual thing and can only be made by the rider.

Joe, I wish you the very best in your surgery. I know things will come out fine and you'll be back as good as new very soon. After the Nomad is fixed and your back from your surgery, think long and hard about what to do about riding. Make your decision and don't look back.

We all hope you continue to ride Joe, but if the decision is to leave riding for a while or indefinately, understand that you are still welcome here on the KawaNOW forum. Your KawaNOW number will always be with you, whether you ride or not.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Joe, I'm devastated to here this. Glad you you are ok but saddened that it took your "mojo" for riding away. I too have had a few lay downs and one at a halacious speed.

Shook me up for months but then like dodging a lightening bolt, I figured I'd thwarted fate and it wasn't my time and saddled back up! Take you time my friend. Time is on your side.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #21

Thanks to everyone who offered their kind words both on and off the forum. No matter what decision I make later on, if my wife says no bike, it would be hard for me to go against her...As it was said more than once, we'll see and time will tell. Joe

Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #22

Im really sorry to hear about your mishap Joe, I hope you recover quickly and whatever you decide. it will have to be your own choice.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to dabull

joe...i hear ya bro...hope you heal up well, and hope to ride with ya again bro;)

Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #24

Sorry to hear you laid her down and about your injuries,but you have to remember,there are 2 types of riders,those that have been down and those that are going to go down.
It is perfectly normal to question your abilities after you lay one down but don't let the doubt lead you to rash decisions.get healed up and give it some time before you decide to give up riding.
Good luck and take it easy.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Joe,

Glad to hear that you weren't hurt to bad. Good luck with the surgery and healing. Time will tell if you will ride again. Take your time and you will make the right decision.

As far as accidents, I have a friend who took a hard fall last year. He didn't ride for almost a year. He questioned if he should again but once he sat on a new bike, he said "Oh yeah, this just feels right".
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #26
Top Contributor

Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I can tell it's had a major impact on you, but like the others said, give yourself some time. The initial shock can cause you to do something you might regret later. I understand Mrs. Funi's fear. The entire event must have been pretty scary. Give yourself some time and then make your decision.

Good luck with your recovery. We're all with you no matter your decision.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #27

Hey Joe,
Glad to see you weren't injured any worse than you are. I hope all goes well with your surgery. I know you will make the decision about riding that is right for you.

Take care

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #28

Sorry to hear about your the accident and the surgery. Hope everything goes well and you heal real quick. As others have said give the riding some time before making a final decision
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

My old lady hates motorcycles Joe and thinks they are way too dangerous. I've tried to get her to ride but she's only gone about 3 times in over 3 years and hated every one of them! I don't ask her anymore and I'm fortunately she doesn't tell me that I can't ride because that would be argument.

After I quit asking her to come with me I told her that motorcycling is in my blood. I gave it up over 20 years ago to raise a family. I told her that now that I'm back this is something "daddy" has waited for and I told her if she expressed displeasure that I ride it would be a stake through my heart.

Fortunately she sees the passion in my eyes when I'm suiting up for a ride and just smiles and tells me to be safe and have fun. I hope Mrs. Funi sees it the same way for you as well my friend.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #30
VBA Founder

I'm in the same boat as BD. My wife of 25 years does not ride with me. Never has and probably never will. But, she knows how important riding is to me. Just like scrapbooking and shopping is to her.

There are things we do together, but then there are things we do separately. She does like to ride in and drive my Corvette tho.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip