Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthEast Group

Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Considering purchase of Nomad

No. some say you can feel it but if you know how to ride there is no problem with weight, I think some just buy to much bike for their skill level but that is IMO. if have ridden for while you should not have any problems and if not (just being up front) you might want to think about it you should never take on more then you think you can handle.
ride safe

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to dabull

03, keep working the dealer;) Stature wise you should be good to go..is definitely heftier than your 900...you WILL feel it sitting still - but you WILL like it;) LOL

Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgeorge
I am considering buying a 2003 Nomad form a dealer. He has agreed to the proce of 6500. the bike has 24000 miles and appears to be in excellent condition.
I have a Vulcan 900 now and have it for sale. I really want the power of the 1500.
Perhaps some would know if this is a good deal...
are there quirks or history issues with the 03 model...
I am not a mechanic so I am not able to spot problems just by looking at the bike. Are there some things I should look for right off.
The previous owner is available and willing to tell me about the bike.
Add ons:
Vance & hines, Accessory light bar, Mustang seat and two up original seat, and a few minor things.
this is the site for the bike, but you cant really see anything.

http://polaris.distinctivecycles.com...&submit=Search

I really do like the Nomad but dont need a good deal on a bad bike.
Thanks for you help
Have you searched on http://www.cycletrader.com ?

Not sure how far you want to go but I found a whole bunch of nomads within 400 miles of Freeport, FL.

Good luck! I bet you will love a Nomad.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #19

mike...glad you are going over to look at the 05 as well..i just looked at the pics on craigslist and it "looks" nice enuff...in person you will get the feel...in your gut....for the bike and the guy selling it...would still take it for a ride, listen and feel it, at least then you will have something to compare the 03 with....

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #20

Quote:
This brings up another question. I am 5'9" weigh 170. Am I going to have problems. I have always found that its about balance, not weight.
Is the bike difficult to handle at slow speeds?
No and yes it's about balance. It's the biggest and heaviest bike I have ever owned. My first ride was slow and cautious for sure. It's a different bike so it's going to handle different. The only time the weight is a problem is when you have to pick it up other wise it is all about balance.
I'm sad to say,I have lifted mine twice. Once at Wally World gas station were I slipped putting the kickstand down and the other was panic stop with way to much front brake but I did miss the car. Doesn't make a difference how big you are, once the bike gets to the point of no return it's not a 250 enduro that you're going to prevent from falling over.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
Quote:
This brings up another question. I am 5'9" weigh 170. Am I going to have problems. I have always found that its about balance, not weight.
Is the bike difficult to handle at slow speeds?
No and yes it's about balance. It's the biggest and heaviest bike I have ever owned. My first ride was slow and cautious for sure. It's a different bike so it's going to handle different. The only time the weight is a problem is when you have to pick it up other wise it is all about balance.
I'm sad to say,I have lifted mine twice. Once at Wally World gas station were I slipped putting the kickstand down and the other was panic stop with way to much front brake but I did miss the car. Does make a difference how big you are, once the bike gets to the point of no return it's not a 250 enduro that you're going to prevent from falling over.
SKIMO...Mike is the guy that was with me at the Outpost...he has the 900 Classic...we drove by the Victory dealer down the road and he saw a Nomad sittin out front...he got the fever now;)

Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #22

Thanks for the tip on cycletrader.com I checked it out and I realize that $6000 for an 03 or an 05 is a good price compared to what they have.
Thanks for all the words, you are a great bunch.
Mike

Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 AM   #23

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

It's balance and a lot of thinking :). Almost a ballet in my case I'm a towering 5'5" and touch the ground with the balls of my feet. I've dropped it twice over the course of a year. Some how there's no damage. The last time I placed my foot on a little rock in my garage and "wham".

I wet from an 800 Classic to the Nomad and it took about 10 minutes to get use to it. We've been lovers ever since :-* :-* :-*

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #24

just bought an 03 in Tampa a month ago...give me a call 321.722.0882 ask for Jim

Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #25

here again, is a brand new 2008 Nomad for $9889.00. This is the best deal I have seen and wish I had gotten it.
http://www.matthewsfunmachines.com/new_v....99&pov=1048 630

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #26

or a 2008 Vulcan Classic, new for $7400.00

http://www.matthewsfunmachines.com/new_v....85&pov=1048 620

Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #27

trjam, it seems that different area have different price ranges. Atlanta is really high. Matthews in NC seems to be much less. I have to stay in budget, that would be less than $7000.
Thanks for the input, it makes me wish I were in NC this weekend.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #28

well that classic is nice

Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #29

somebody gonna have a story to tell this evening...i aint saying nothing else.....

Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #30

I don't know where you are located mdgeorge (not in your profile), but you may want to consider waiting until you can scrape up a few extra grand and go for new or nearly new.

You'll have the Nomad for many years and there's nothing like breaking her in yourself. IMO. Joe :)