Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #1

CAM TIMING PROCEDURE FOR vn1500

I am in the process of re-assembling a 1500 and was hoping some kind soul could provide me with the cam install/timing procedure. I do not wanna bet it's the same as the 1700!

THANX
RAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #2

What I do is get the cases together with the internals, rods and pistons sticking thru the spigots.
I fish the new chains around the crank sprockets on the sides. I use some soft wire, I wire the ends of the chains together, + about 10 inches, I fold the wire to make a handle. I line up the timing mark (flywheel) on #1, ring compressor on, slide cylinder down while fishing #1 chain up thru cylinder, as the wire gets longer, cylinder is sitting on base gasket, I lay the chain and handle off to the front....
Then I put on the head gasket and head, line up mark on cam/head/gear, put in masterlink, put in tensioner.
Carefully open up your chain (make a loop) for rear cylinder timing chain sprocket to spin without getting caught on chain.....rotate crank for tdc on rear cylinder, put cylinder over rear piston, do the same as you did for the front. You'll have to jiggle the chain and play with it to get your masterlink where you need it. Line up your timing marks, hook chain up with masterlink, put in chain adjuster.
I rotate the engine over forward in running direction, let out the adjusters....look at your timing marks to verify....
I spin the engine over with a 1/2 " loooong pull handle and socket on the flywheel side of crank....I spin it over about 4 or 5 times, watching the chains, adjusters, and all the timing marks....its kinda finnicky, but its really tight down around the drive sprockets there on the crank.
I'll verify the timing marks 4 or 5 times....them put new seals on the spark plug tubes....
Finish out as needed.
Theres a guy that does a pretty good job of a rebuild on a 1500 on youtube....watch how he does his chains, you'll see what I mean....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 03-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #3

Oh, yes, I forgot to say....-duh-.... (I was Jonesin' to go riding....Sunshine, 55 degrees) I use the replacement chains with the masterlinks, BUT, you can leave out the cam chain adjusters if your using the stock type endless timing chains....with the adjusters out, you will have plenty of room to lift your chain, turn your cam sprocket to line the lines up on the cam sprockets, then put your chain back on.
Be sure to always turn your engine in its running direction, keeping the pull side tight (when installing your adjusters!).
You need to roll the engine over a few times just to make sure your timing is correct, rechecking your tdc and timing marks on your cam sprockets, just to double check, make sure nothing binds up, and everything is as it should be....
I always double and triple check timing on OHC bike engines....1 slip up on your engine could result in bad running engine, bent valves, or a dropped valve....

Hope this helps....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 03-28-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #4

ON THE 1700'S AFTER the frnt cam is installed and timed the crank must be rotated 360dg PLUS 52dg to align the "T" for the REAR cylinder so the rear cam can be installed timed correctly.

Is the procedure for the 1500 for rear cam install AFTER the front cam is in?

THANX
RAY

Old 04-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

Hey R&R, been getting some riding in....
Yes, the rear cylinder has a mark on the flywheel, once you line up your timing mark 'F', and time your front cyl., you gotta rotate your flywheel to the 'R' is line up in the timing hole (tdc on rear cyl.), then install timing chain on rear cam sprocket, with the timing marks on the gear lined up with the flats on the rear head....
Sometimes it takes me 2 trys to get everything perfect....and if someone distracts me, I'll just leave it till I can concentrate without interruption....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI