Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Best accessory on your bike?

My 1600 Classic is my 1st ever cruiser. I still have my BMW flat twins that I've been riding since 1990, and on my BMWs any accessory has to be functional or its meaningless. I looked at a lot of accessories on cruisers, quite honestly with the usual disdain of "chrome don't get you home."

Now my viewpoint is tempered a bit. A few accessories on my 1600 prove they can look good and are actually quite nice upgrades. I bought my 1600 used and the PO had installed Kuryakyn mirrors with LED turn signals built in, and they are great! Solidly clear at all engine speeds, LED turn signals on both sides, they give signals bright high and wide on the bike, even to the point they are visible from the side of the bike to a vehicle passing or passing another vehicle. In fact, a person could build a custom bike stripped of the standard turn signals front and rear, and use the handlebar mounted Kuryakyn style mirror/turn signals and still have very effective visible turn signals.

The grips are those half chrome/half rubber style and are really comfortable while offering good grip and some vibe isolation. Though, no spikes on my bike, no need to show I'm any kind of bad ass. The seat I installed, a Russel Day Long is great; firm and supportive, though it is taller and wider, the "wings" make me sit forward at stops. But those same wings help me push the bike backward when seated on the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by andyvh1959; 02-28-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Best "accessory" for my bike? ME.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Russel Cycles Daylong Seat and backrest for me is the best investment by far. Rode the bike 70 miles home after the purchase and parked it. The factory sway back mule seat just did not work for my big ass. Had to wait in line 3 months for the seat rework. The bike pretty much sat during that time. Still had my 1500 with the Daylong at that time so I was not without a ride. On the 1700 they raise me up in the seat which wasn’t needed but opened up the seating area just perfect for my big azz. Great work Russel Cycle Products.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-28-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #4

The back rest was the best thing i ever bought. Those seats, are unbelievably uncomfortable after a couple of hours. And it made all the difference. Forward pegs on the crashbars, just made it even better. Next, for me, was the trailer.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Highway pegs are a must for me and my gammy legs and a throttle lock or cruise control for cramps I get in my hand.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #6

A waterproof multi power point, on the hadlebars, was another good thing. It ran my coffee mug, satnav, and sound box. Good for blowing up tyres, inflatable sofa/beds, and TV's too.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
Top Contributor

I forgot about the ciggy lighter on the handlebars to power the GPS/Satnav.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #8

Russel Daylong seat by far!! I should have bought it years sooner.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-04-2021, 12:08 AM   #9

1. Ivan's flash, 2. Russell day-long seat w. modified rider's backrest, 3. Ohlins (rear) & Race Tech (front) suspension, 4. LED headlight, spots, indicators, 5. KAMS kit, 6. Wind Vest screen with GW vent, 7. Key mods to gas cap & cubbies, 8. USB outlets everywhere, with Garmin GPS in a Ram Mount, 9. Kury highway pegs for rider and passenger, 10. Avon heated grips.

Special mention to Michelin's Commander III tires. Best I've ever used, & I've tried most of them.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 03-04-2021 at 12:26 AM.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Hey Peg, got more details on the Race Tech update for the forks? I'll be tearing down the forks on my Classic this year to do service and updates. I plan to add air valves to the fork leg caps in order to add air pressure tuning to the forks. But if Race Tech has fork upgrades as well I'm for it.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #11

The only aftermarket I have ridden with this far is a water proof cig and usb power outlet and vance and hines pipes. I love the vance and hines straight shots

My dog is my co pilot

Old 03-05-2021, 03:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Hey Peg, got more details on the Race Tech update for the forks? I'll be tearing down the forks on my Classic this year to do service and updates. I plan to add air valves to the fork leg caps in order to add air pressure tuning to the forks. But if Race Tech has fork upgrades as well I'm for it.
This is one of the very few upgrades I didn't do myself, I sent it to a local motorcycle suspension shop with an excellent nationwide reputation. And doing that allowed me to keep taking it back until I was entirely happy with how they finally tuned it... From their invoice:

Race Tech Fork Springs 36.7x34.5x315mm 1.1Kg/mm Part # RT-FRSP-S3732110
Race Tech Fork Emulator 36.0x29.2x17.0mm Part # RT-FEGV-S4301

It was the emulators that do the hard work IMHO, and those cost just a little more than the springs did.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)