Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #1

hello all! I have a problem...

hello everyone, im glad to have found these forums. I purchased this 07 nomad 1600 last saturday. We drove 120 miles to go pick it up and i decided that i was going to ride it home. I figured if anything is going to go wrong with the bike that it would rear its head on a straight 120 mile trip. 24 degrees outside that day so it was bitter cold but the bike ran flawless the whole way home. 3 days later the temps were in the 60s for the day and sunny so i rode to work. Again totally flawless trip. Coming home from work that day i got about a half mile from my house and stopped at a stop sign and the bike died. Like you'd just turned the key off. hit the button and it fired right back up and off we went for about 20 yards. i hit the throttle giving it a little rev and it didnt die that time but the whole rest of the way i'd have to do that every 30 seconds or so or it would just shut off. Once i got home i parked it and started to check the things i could think of. Im newer to working on bikes but mechanically inclined with all my old cars i've had. I checked the connections on the clutch and side stand switch in case theyd come loose first but the bike does this even in the driveway in neutral. Put it on the battery tender and thats showing the battery is fine. i can hear the fuel pump when i hit the key. I dont get any warning lights while the bike is running and i checked the diagnosis wire and i dont have any codes. I feel like this has to be something simple. The bike cranks fine, starts fine and idles fine, then just stops. I dont have to turn the key off and back on, just hit the ignition button and it will start right back up then die. I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on what it could be. Also here is a short clip of it starting and then dieing if anyone would like to take a look and listen. Thanks in advance everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210123_125336.jpg (105.7 KB, 8 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

Welcome from Northern California and I’m sure someone from this forum can help you out with this.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 01-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #3

My first thought - fuel tank vent line blocked? Try opening the cap when it's doing it to see if there's a whoosh of air sucked in.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 01-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I would clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Give it a good cleaning, especially where butterflies are. There is usually a ring of crud there. Remove that crud.

If it doesn't help try starting the bike with the fuel cap open like Peg suggested. If that doesn't help take the gas tank off, remove the fuel pump and check the fuel filter/strainer on the bottom of the pump. It might be blocked.

How long was the bike sat before you bought it ? Maybe get some fresh gas ?

Last edited by redjay; 01-29-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #5

Redjay it sat from about mid october til i picked it up. i filled it up with fresh gas before driving it home. i tried starting it up with the gas cap open but that made no difference either. I'll take a look at the throttle body and try to give it a good cleaning. if the weather cooperates this weekend i'll take the tank off and check also. I showed a couple guys at work the video this afternoon and they both said check my regulators so i'll take a look there this weekend also.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #6
Advanced Member

The throttle body is a good place to start, especially if this happens when you come to a stop. Your description sounds like it doesn't happen when the bike running steady, just when it stops. Over time, crankcase ventilation into the stock airbox can cause gummy residue to build up on the butterfly plates. Eventually the gummy residue forma a near complete air seal between the butterfly and throttle body, seals air off from the engine. Get some long swabs and alcohol, reach in and clean the butterflys with the throttle open and it should solve that issue. Welcome and enjoy your classic Vulcan ride.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:41 AM   #7

Check your oil level. I noticed in your video the light comes on just before it dies.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #8

For it to just quit like that and then fire up, I would start checking the ignition switch and then the wiring connection's. Check the harness for a broken wire just below the fuel tank at the rear cylinder on the left side.
Its been known to be a problem area.
Also check the main fuse and relay behind the right side
Cover for corrosion.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Problem could be the fuel pump relay. I’ve had 2 fail. It’s under the right side cover behind the fuse block. It’s the round one.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 01-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #10

When you go to start your motorcycle, the fuel pump will run to build fuel pressure for the injectors. Then it shuts off. You hear the whine stop.
The computer will not turn on the fuel pump again until it gets an oil pressure signal. That is probably why you have to rev it up to build oil pressure to get the fuel pump to turn on again.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #11

Well I’m gonna guess wiring bc if it’s running great at idle and doesn’t stutter when revving it up then it’s is likely not the carb gummed up.... it could be but sounds like a loose wire somewhere is messing with you

My dog is my co pilot

Old 01-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #12

After watching your video I say check your oil pressure sensor. Light comes on a full half second before the bike dies..... if it sat for a while could have gummy oil messing with the sensor. I would change oil and clean the oil screen that gets ignored by a lot of owners and see if it’s plugged too! It sounds healthy probably something simple. Pull t he oil pressure sensor and clean it. Then try again

My dog is my co pilot

Old 01-31-2021, 07:17 AM   #13

Check your grounds.

These like to dirty up and cause all kinds of hard to diagnose issues.
VBA 936

Old 01-31-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Grounds could be. Years ago, the Yamaha XJ650 Seca had electrical issues. MY brother had one. I went through the whole bike, cleaned all the connections, and backsealed the connectors with silicone caulk. He never had a connections related issue again. Was a great bike.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #15

One other place to look if you get the tank off, is the TPS Throttle Position Sensor connections and the wires going to it. Some times a hose or harness will work its way loose and be up agaist those wires, breaking them or one over time. it is on the Right side just above the throttle body behind the right side dogbowl. I had the same issue. some time it would stutter before it quit, and others it would just quit.