Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #1

Seats

I am going to have my seats redone because my girlfriend has long legs and we are going to add about 4 inches to the rear seat. Any advice on the difference between memory foam, gel, or both? Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I would suggest you go with dense foam to raise the height of the passenger seat.

Dense foam can be cut and shaped using an electric carving knife. There are videos on Youtube.

Then you can top the foam with either a gel insert or memory foam or a combination of both, then have a new seat cover made.
There was a mod to make a bracket to lower the passenger floorboads, but only by a couple of inches.

You could lower the passenger floor boards and then get an Airhawk pad to raise the height of the seat an inch or so ?

Last edited by redjay; 01-17-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Gel inserts can hold a lot of heat, something to consider on hot days. FIRM foam is a best choice, as long as its properly shaped, which is a huge factor. Don't let any upholstery shop convince you to use soft foam (like is common for a couch or chair in your house). Firm, high density foam maintains support during long saddle time.

May also consider changing the passenger floorboard position? Might be less expensive than a seat modification.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #4

I don't recommend a gel pad in the seat, they get hot! If you want to get the best seat out there, get a Russel Daylong. Its the best thing I ever added to my bike. It makes a huge difference in your comfort.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #5

I found that a backrest, and forward pegs, made all the difference. My arse was in real pain before i got them..

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Also be careful with who is redoing the seats for you. Few local upholstery shops really understand the ergonomics of a motorcycle to get the best seat shape for secure position, long term comfort and durability. A motorcycle seat is far different than a living room couch, office chair or car seats. That's why a seat builder like Russell Day Long, Sargent, Corbin, Saddleman and others exist.