Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to michaels
Rear shocks

Looking for new rear shocks for the '03 Vulcan 1600. 30k miles and supposedly replaced a while back - but so was the clutch I just replaced and the fork seals I'm about to replace and brake pads that I'm about to replace when I do the tires next week, so thinking the shocks need to be replaced as well since it seems a bit soft even on the "4" setting.

Is there a big difference in the stock-ish replacements over something like the Progressive shocks - I've seen a lot of posts about them here and I have some on my dirtbike and really like them on their lowest setting even with my big ass on it. Just don't want to turn the Vulcan into a hardtail...

Thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

I just put progressive 412 HD on my Nomad and that was the best decision I made . I weigh in at 185 lb and keep the setting on three . It's a bit stiff when just sitting on the bike but when I get going it rides like a Cadillac .

If you do purchase a set of 412's make sure there Heavy Duty . I found the reg 412's to be a bit to soft , especially if your riding two up .

You'll have to remove the saddle bags to adjust the shocks ( Tool included ) on the 412's . If that won't cut it you can look at the 430's . They can be adjusted by hand and a little more $$$ .

Hope this helps !!