Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Vaquero handle bar options

RoaringToyz' handlebars look cool, but run $600.

In my searching, I noticed that some of their first photos of a "customized Vaquero" wasn't even ridable. But it gave me an idea.

What IF I get a set of dresser apes for a Street Glide (or other), then cut the bars to narrow the width, then weld them back together for the Vaquero? I want a black powder coat anyhow... I'm confident it will work, but thought I'd throw it out there for criticism. Or the possibility of someone in the St Louis area who want to help me and has a welder. - I will need to compare measurements to see how it will affect final hand placement width. To me that could be the only obstacle.

Any other suggestions of bolt-on bars? Looking for a 12-13" ape (that's what she said )

RoaringToyz bike with dresser apes, the bars are TOO wide to turn the bike.

Here's their $600 bars made to fit the Vaquero
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #2

$600 for a set of handlebars, nice if you have the money i guess, are they made out of platinum or gold?
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

I like the looks of these bars for the bike.

Hopefully your efforts will work out out...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

Doesn't the $600 include all the necessary cables etc?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 11-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #5

I would hope it includes a lot for that price. Makes sense if it does especially if the lines are SS braided etc.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
It only includes the extended clutch and brake lines. Lengthening the electric is still up to you. Which I don't mind doing, but it's a steep price.

http://www.roaringtoyzblog.com/rt/13...asaki-vaquero/

Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
yes, well not ALL the necessary cables. For $600 you get the handlebars and extended clutch and brake lines. The throttle cables are already long enough, you just need to reroute them but you do have to extend all the wiring yourself. They will do the wiring for you if you want but it will cost another $300

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post
yes, well not ALL the necessary cables. For $600 you get the handlebars and extended clutch and brake lines. The throttle cables are already long enough, you just need to reroute them but you do have to extend all the wiring yourself. They will do the wiring for you if you want but it will cost another $300
Then I would go the route of making my own, not worth $600 for a what is basically a designer set of handlebars, now if it was a one of, custom build maybe, but not for what is basically a mass produced item. The lines would be only around $150 max.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Then I would go the route of making my own, not worth $600 for a what is basically a designer set of handlebars, now if it was a one of, custom build maybe, but not for what is basically a mass produced item. The lines would be only around $150 max.
That's part of my issue too. Even if they're cost prohibitive to most, if there's only one option, it means every Vaquero with custom bars has the SAME custom bars . . . which is not custom.
In such a circumstance, I'll try to find something more cost effective and more original; and I'm good at both.

At $300 or less, I may have still winced, but bought them already (same goes for the XM radio for these bikes)

Last edited by jestephens; 11-18-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
That's part of my issue too. Even if they're cost prohibitive to most, if there's only one option, it means every Vaquero with custom bars has the SAME custom bars . . . which is not custom.
In such a circumstance, I'll try to find something more cost effective and more original; and I'm good at both.

At $300 or less, I may have still winced, but bought them already (same goes for the XM radio for these bikes)
Yep, custom to me means you go to the place that makes them, they take all sorts of measurments and make them to suit your reach, height, and ergonomics. I have found too many expensive items over the years to be at the least, uncomfortable, and mostly hype, vice being useful
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Last edited by smokey; 11-18-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #11

I run the Roaring Twinz bars on my bike. I got my dealership to order them for me and spent less than $500. They are great bars. I extended the wiring myself and ran the wires internally. Really cleaned up the area behind the fairing. For that price it also included the cables like you said. I wonder if they raised their prices. You say picked up a set of bars for 3 bills. I think you will spend close to another $200 for cables and powdercoating. Hopefully I'm wrong there but quality cables are expensive. It will be cool to see you come up with a set. Keep your measurements and such and you may just find yourself selling a few!

Last edited by drof; 11-18-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling....of course

Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drof View Post
I run the Roaring Twinz bars on my bike. I got my dealership to order them for me and spent less than $500. They are great bars. I extended the wiring myself and ran the wires internally. Really cleaned up the area behind the fairing. For that price it also included the cables like you said. I wonder if they raised their prices. You say picked up a set of bars for 3 bills. I think you will spend close to another $200 for cables and powdercoating. Hopefully I'm wrong there but quality cables are expensive. It will be cool to see you come up with a set. Keep your measurements and such and you may just find yourself selling a few!
I didn't pick up anything yet. I was saying the RoaringTwinz bars would be more reasonable at $300. We'll see what happens

Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #13

Sorry, had to go bad and read. Thought you bought some and were getting ready to start choppin'. I personally looked for other bars but couldn't come up with any. The other route I thought about going were pullback risers. Then there would be more options for bars. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Either way for me the comfort greatly improved.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #14

Hi, I purchased a set of risers from Joe Norris who custome machined them from billet aluminium that will raise the bars up 1 1/2" and back an inch. You can gain a bit more by rotating the bars back towards you as well. Then Im thinking on powder coating in either black or candy apple red to match the bike.

Joe Norris
517-474-2663 chucksterscustoms.com

Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #15

One other thought. Why not tack the bars you have now and rework them. If you mess up, then buy a set.