Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

cam chain tensioner ???

A fellow on you tube is doing a performance upgrade on a 1600 engine.
When he was assembling the tensioner he pushed it down and then tighten a set screw to hold it down. He then installed the tensioner on the head, put a spring and and then an end cap and then he loosened the set screw until he heard the noise of the tensioner making contact with the chain he then retighten the set screw. My question is ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LOOSEN THAT SET SCREW TO KEEP TENSION ON THE CHAIN from time to time ??????

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

No we are not
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #3

Good answer Tim, the screw is just used to hold the tensioner in place until its assembled. Once and your done.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #4

thank you, I was wondering about that because I had never heard of doing it before.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Uh-oh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 AM   #6

So with the tensioner in place and the screw tightened, how does it follow the chain as it stretches, and why is there a spring in an automatic system if not for that purpose.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
So with the tensioner in place and the screw tightened, how does it follow the chain as it stretches, and why is there a spring in an automatic system if not for that purpose.
If you had a service manual it would explain everything.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Top Contributor

The screw is to hold the mechanism in the collapsed position for installation only.

What you are doing by undoing the screw is allowing the assembly to extend.
Once the assembly has extended and the part the screw was holding has passed the screw you can then tighten the screw all the way in. The screw no longer has a function at this point.

Once you undo the screw the spring in the mechanism pushes the rod out onto the slipper assembly that presses on the cam chain.

The tensioner has a pawl and ratchet that allows the assembly to move forward towards the cam chain but not backwards thus making the assembly self adjusting.
As the cam chain wears the slack is taken up automatically by the spring loaded ratchet and pawl assembly.

Last edited by redjay; 01-30-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
If you had a service manual it would explain everything.
I've got one, and when i can be arsed to decypher it's ridiculous fucked up system i will read it, meantime how about you answer my question.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
The screw is to hold the mechanism in the collapsed position for installation only.

Once the assembly has extended and the part the screw was holding has passed the screw you can then tighten the screw all the way in. The screw no longer has a function at this point.

Once you undo the screw the spring in the mechanism pushes the rod out onto the slipper assembly that presses on the cam chain.

The tensioner has a pawl and ratchet that allows the assembly to move forward towards the cam chain but not backwards thus making the assembly self adjusting.
As the cam chain wears the slack is taken up automatically by the spring loaded ratchet and pawl assembly.
There you go, explained in plain English, no need to forage through a bollock's of a manual, a fellow of the Empire has trodden that path before, and is willing to pass his knowledge on to anyone prepared to learn. Fucking brilliant !

Old 01-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
There you go, explained in plain English, no need to forage through a bollock's of a manual, a fellow of the Empire has trodden that path before, and is willing to pass his knowledge on to anyone prepared to learn. Fucking brilliant !
You mad Bro ?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
You mad Bro ?
No mate,did me and my kinfolk's miss something.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pi...ml%3B300%3B374

Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #13

thanks redjay for the description of how it works. now it makes sense

Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post

This statement is correct, and easy to understand. The only reason for tightening the set screw back in is so you won't lose it.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #15

When you have it out and look at it, it is pretty self explanatory what that screw does. I can only have one purpose. Also if you google it there are lots of folks that explain it.

If then you don't understand it might be time to find someone to do the work for you otherwise you might just bugger something up. :-)