Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #1

How much Fuel Left?

I've been in the habit of running a bike "out" of fuel just to see how much "usable" fuel is in the tank. My recent experiment was on a recently purchased 2007 1600 Nomad. I coasted into the station after weaving back and forth for about a mile to keep fuel in the pickup. I pumped 4.6 gal. If this is a 5.3 gal tank is there actually 0.7 gal that is not being available? That seems quite a bit on this size tank. Haven't looked yet as to where the pickup line is - maybe that's the issue.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #2

How much Fuel Left?

Don't do this too many times. From what people are posting, it's hard on the fuel pump.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #3

How much Fuel Left?

When refuling did you have the bike on the sidestand and fill to the bottom of the little metal thingy.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Advanced Member

How much Fuel Left?

The internal fuel pump takes up some of your usable space.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

How much Fuel Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
When refuling did you have the bike on the sidestand and fill to the bottom of the little metal thingy.
I did have the bike on the stand and then leaned the bike to level. The fuel came right to the metal plate at the bottom of the filler neck. I'm assuming that's the "full" line?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #6

How much Fuel Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Don't do this too many times. From what people are posting, it's hard on the fuel pump.
Thanks for the insight. I only do this once so I hopefully never have to do it again at an inopportune time.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #7

How much Fuel Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I did have the bike on the stand and then leaned the bike to level. The fuel came right to the metal plate at the bottom of the filler neck. I'm assuming that's the "full" line?
On other post on this site several folks have said you get the most in your tank by letting it "lean". It that is correct, then you did not "fill" up the tank.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #8

How much Fuel Left?

I put 5.1 in my 06 one time. Was really glad I didn't decide to go for the station at the other end of town! So I can't say it actually held 5.3, but figure it had to be in that range or better. My light consistently came on at 4.3 -4.4 used based on pulling into stations a mile or so after it came on. Don't know why yours holds so little gas.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #9

How much Fuel Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired06

On other post on this site several folks have said you get the most in your tank by letting it "lean". It that is correct, then you did not "fill" up the tank.

Yea, I think I'm getting the tank "full". Are the fuel pickup line/lines located some distance forward of the rear end of the tank that might leave this much fuel unused.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #10

How much Fuel Left?

This last weekend I filled my tank up to 4.8XX gallons two times and neither time was I out of gas yet.

When I fill up the tank, I put it on the side stand and fill it up half way up the metal cup thingy. When I first got the bike I was concerned that anything past the bottom of that metal cup would just pour out the bottom, but that is not the case. You can easily put another .5 gal in the bike if you fill it up past the cup.

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #11

How much Fuel Left?

agreed - I fill up to 1/2 way up the cup too. It may not be recommended, but I'm still doin it.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #12

How much Fuel Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh
agreed - I fill up to 1/2 way up the cup too. It may not be recommended, but I'm still doin it.
Me too, as bad a fuel mileage as I'm getting right now, I need every drop I can get in the tank...

Jared, how did the PowerCommander map I sent yo work out?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Top Contributor

How much Fuel Left?

I only fill the tank on the sidestand on the way out for a ride. I did it once just before I got home and there was gas on the floor in the garage shortly afterwards. I think the presure in the tank puked it out.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
How much Fuel Left?

Yes leave the bike on the side stand and fill until you are a quarter to a half inch above the metal plate you can see. If you then level your bike the gas will almost run out. If you fill and are going on down the road you can fill to about a half inch above the metal. If you are going home after filling I would only go about a quarter inch above it. If the tank gets hot sitting the gas will expand and overflow out the tube. Just wasting gas that way. Don't ask me how I know.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #15

How much Fuel Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Yes leave the bike on the side stand and fill until you are a quarter to a half inch above the metal plate you can see. If you then level your bike the gas will almost run out. If you fill and are going on down the road you can fill to about a half inch above the metal. If you are going home after filling I would only go about a quarter inch above it. If the tank gets hot sitting the gas will expand and overflow out the tube. Just wasting gas that way. Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks guys for all the info. Gene, Couldn't help but notice you're map. Several south/south eastern states but no trips to NC. Any specific reason? We have some of the most beautil riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the spring/fall. Just watch out for the "leaf lookers" in the fall. Due to the elevation the summers not bad but can get crowded quick as it's only two lane.