Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 10-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Best jacket for all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Where I live, there's no such animal. Temps go from 30's-40's in winter to 110+ in summer.

I'd suggest a good heavy leather jacket with zip-out liner for cold weather, remove the liner for milder temps and a mesh jacket for warm weather riding.
CJ...we are not listening to your advise on jackets. You are not qualified on this subject. As you have pointed out sooooo many times , it is always warm where you are!

I agree with most. That yellow textile jacket I have on below is great for all seasons. It is a Frank Thomas and was on sale for about $150. I would prefer a longer one in winter. Bought it at Cycle Gear. Because it is from the UK the zipper is on the opposit side...takes a little getting used to.

When it is real cold I put a real big wind breaker over it....works great. Toasty, dry, and bright color for safety. This allows me to "peel off" layers at the day warms up.
Oh.......okay, fine.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Zoom,

I bought my wife and myself new jackets a couple seasons ago after a lot of research. We got the Cortech GX-Air by TourMaster, in yellow (for visibility). I paid around $120 or 140 each (can't remember)

They are ballistic mesh, with two removable liners: one that is a rain liner (and can function as a stand alone windbreaker when you are off the bike), and a quilted warm liner for colder weather. The liners both zip into the jacket, and have elastic connections as well.

I have found this to be a great jacket in all weather I have worn it in: hot, cool, rainy. I would add, though, that on a hot summer day, it can be a little warm when you are stopped, where the armor is.

I also like the safety factor: Both color, armor, and excellent ballistic mesh.

I don't think this exact jacket is still offered by TourMaster, but I know they have replaced it with a similar one.
Hope this helps!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #18

I ride with a Tourmaster Transition jacket when traveling, and so does my brother and a friend. We wore them when we went to the Black Hills area last June and they were great. We hit cold, rain, hail, and even a few days of nice weather and the jacket was dry, warm, and comfortable the whole time. But for everyday riding when it is not going to rain I wear my leather jacket.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
Top Contributor

I bought tormaster intake 2 jacket and it was a well made jacket but by the time you dick with 2 liners and zipping them in/out and a plethora of tabs to snap, FORGET IT. i took it back and bought a Fieldsheer,

Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #20

I also have a Cortech textile jacket in 3/4 length. Comes with liner. Warm and waterproof (though I haven't ridden in a downpour yet). If I wear a jacket I want something that doesn't rise up when your arms are out riding and I found with the shorter jackets that's what happens.

Sorry no pictures since I haven't done the photobucket thing yet.

Cortech and tourmaster both work. Style and climate obviously a deciding factor. Don't like to ride below 45 degrees but I can tell you the cortech is toasty at 45.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #21

Hi Zoom,

The size of my jacket is the same size as my normal clothes. But if you are planning on layering I would go a size bigger.

I don't layer because the between the jacket, the liner and a turtleneck (especially under armor brand), good gloves w/gauntlets, warm pants, full face helmet, hot hand packets, face mask,engine guard chaps, I am toasty to at least 32 F. I don't typically ride in cooler weather than that.

I like the yellow for daytime visibility. Also make sure whatever you buy has the reflective piping (mine does not) or buy some matching reflective tape to put on your jacket (mine does), bike, helmet.

My jacket is waterproof (so they claim, I haven't been stuck in bad enough rain to really to test it) and has CE armor, also has zippered wind vents so you can open them on those warm days to get some air flowing.

Mine is a Frank Thomas Aqua Fore. It is the "short" style but I wish I would have bought the longer style to keep the wind from going underneath. Good Luck!!

Formikec....I don't think our KawaNow brothers from the UK like the sound of that!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
This is what I'm using and it has already saved some hide.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=269&cat=3
+1 For Tourmaster. I ordered from here

http://www.powersportequipment.com/p...asp?item=20338

Free shipping (they shipped same day)and with discount code cost was $140.15. This jacket has 2 removable liners. one for rain and one insulated. You have option to use either liner or layer both together. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and wear a large.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #23

http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products...oductID/477110

I have the earlier generation of this jacket. It waterproof insulated liner for very cold or wet days. Remove the liner and you have a medium kind of all around jacket. Finally, all of the textile zips off to reveal a vented mesh jacket. There is leather on the shoulders and outside of the sleeves so it still has the "cruiser" feel to it. I LOVE THIS JACKET. It really works year round. I live in Idaho and we actually have four seasons here. I have ridden with this jacket in 14 degress up 114 degrees. Works great and is resonably priced.

As far as leather vs. textile, I will stick with textile from here out. I like the armor in mine (its there and I don't look like a storm trooper). In cold weather, Leather just stays cold, plus you have to carry your rain gear with you. Textile seems to retain warmth better and I no longer have to worry about where to pack my rain gear.

I realize I'm a little late on this post, but I thought I would give .02.

You also asked about sizing, I bought mine fairly form fitting. Even in the coldest weather, the coat functions best when I have a thermal top and long sleeve t-shirt on. I've given up on wearing seven layers. The technology in the new insulations seems to work very well.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Top Contributor

I bought the Tourmaster newest model that came out for about $185 and it was good quality BUT once you fumble with TWO liners more than half a dozen near 10-12 for all liners and getting everything to mesh up right, I was out of the mood to ride. I took it ALL back for a refund.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #25

Doc, I hear ya on the tabs and flaps and time consuming liner changes.
That being said I still like the jacket. It is quality made and warm with the thermal liner and dry with the rain liner and cool with the mesh alone. It also has reflective piping.
Whats the name of the fieldsheer jacket you got. One of my buddys and his wife both have Feeldsheer jackets and they look nice.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
Advanced Member

I guess it depends on where you live.

Where I live my seasons are: tourist season, mosquito season, hurricane season and summer

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 12-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #27

i have the tourmaster intake for the summer and the transitions 2 for the winter. been caught in the rain with both and have never gotten wet.
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #28

I have a First Gear "Scout IV" for 3 seasons and a Joe Rocket Mesh for summer, although I like the First Gear mesh much better.
First Gear equipment is very well made.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #29
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller

i bought the skyliner by joe rocket .its made for the goldwing but works on all bikes as well it made all the way up to 5x .179.00 works in all weather.