Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Trike Kit, which one?

???I'm looking to adding a trike kit to my 2003 Nomad. The two Major kits seem to be the Tow-Pac & Voyager. I know some members here have triked their 'Mads using these kits. When you researched your decision, what concernes did you have. Is one kit "better" than the other in terms of performance? How did the kits affect the bike's performance, in terms of steering & braking?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.....-Rich ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #2

Trike Kit, which one?

You should talk to Dano, he is a member here and has a triked Nomad. Its bright yellow and looks really neat, but Im not sure who's kit it has on it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #3

Trike Kit, which one?

As you can see I have a Tow-Pac on my 1600. It can be taken off in about 5 minutes and you are back to 2 wheeling. Takes about 15 minutes to put it back on if you have any lights on the kit to re-connect. This kit costs about $4200. Look in your area for a dealer to get the full price installed. Your braking will be great, because you can brake as hard as you want and you go straight and you don't get any fish tailing(with either kit). You HAVE to steer now. No more leaning. And you don't drag your feet taking off or you will run over them. Both kits will lift one wheel if you go around a corner too fast and sharp. Tow-Pac has a torsion system for each wheel. I don't think the Voyager does. You don't loose any ground clearance with the TP, as you do with the Voyager. I like the idea of bigger tires on the Voyager. The designer of TP also designed the Voyager(first). Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Trike Kit, which one?

How well does the saddlebags work with the extra wheels? Can you still get in them?
Is it still a trike, when you have 4 wheels????

Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Trike Kit, which one?

From my recent research, the Tow-Pac trike has changed their design, to the point they are built with thinner steel frame rails which have the tendency to crack & break. I have read that they are not doing warranty repairs once the kit is installed. This kit ataches to your bike via a receiver hitch behind your rear wheel.

The down side to the Voyager is it lowers your ground clearance, because it uses a "belly pan" for attachment.

On the saddlebag question, Voyager gives you different hinges that allow you to open & then remove your saddlebag lids. I don't know if the Tow-Pac has a solutition for the hinges......-Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #6

Trike Kit, which one?

I haven't heard anything about the frames cracking. There is plenty of room to open the saddlebags.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #7

Trike Kit, which one?

Hannigan now has a trikekit for a nomad 1600

www.hannigantrikes.com

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #8

Trike Kit, which one?

redeye...I have a Voyager Kit on my 2004 Nomad and am having good times with it. Remember that it is a TRIKE not a motorcycle. I really don't care for the stering part, but you do what you have to do. If I had known about the product called "Retract-A-Trike" I would have done that. A little late right now, but I'll get over it. If you decide on the Voyager, let me know if I can help.
BTW...Dano has been a big help to me with mine.
miike

Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Trike Kit, which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey911s
redeye...I have a Voyager Kit on my 2004 Nomad and am having good times with it. Remember that it is a TRIKE not a motorcycle. I really don't care for the stering part, but you do what you have to do. If I had known about the product called "Retract-A-Trike" I would have done that. A little late right now, but I'll get over it. If you decide on the Voyager, let me know if I can help.
BTW...Dano has been a big help to me with mine.
miike
Hey Mike, what don't you like about the steering? I looked at the retract-a-trike unit, but at almost $6,000 it is out of my price range. I have a request into a company called "TRIGG TRIKES". From what i read online they are similar to the Voyager & Tow-Pac kits.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #10

Trike Kit, which one?

I dislike the "steering" of a trike and not being able to "lean" like I always have. The retracting wheels would give you the best of both worlds....Balance at low speeds and stopped, and the ride of a mc. Don't get me wrong here. I like the Voyager, just would have gotten the retractable design if I had known it exiisted.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #11

Trike Kit, which one?

always thought these would be great for camping. haul all your gear then disconnect for enjoying the locale.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#