Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #1

I hate to do it...but lets talk more about oil

I hate to do this but…. Let’s discuss “OIL” (again). ???

Like many, I am a little confused about what type of oil I should use in my 2007 Nomad. My first 'break-in' oil change was completed by the dealership and I didn't give it any thought. I am going to be doing my own oil change before my trip to the Eastern rally.

Therefore, I’ve been doing some research on the top oil manufacturer’s (Mobile 1, Valvoline, Castrol) web sites and I have learned a few things that can make a lot of difference in performance and engine/transmission wear and tear on motorcycles.

First truth I learned in my research about oil was that “automotive oil is not recommended for use in motorcycles” by oil manufacturers.

I’ve also found sites that contain an argument that the increase in motorcycle wear using automotive oil is not as significant as what the oil manufactures suggest. They argue that it is simply a ploy used to charge more for the motorcycle oil over cheaper automotive oil.

My thought…”I use Supreme Gasoline because I want the best in my Nomad. I will gladly pay a few more dollars for oil that is specially designed for my motorcycle.”

Motorcycle oils contain proprietary blends of premium base oils and advanced additive technology that are designed to protect motorcycle engine, proper protection of the wet clutch, and provides for smooth shifting of gears. Automotive oils are similar in base but are missing the motorcycle additives and characteristics.

Valvoline Motorcycle Oil Link
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=76
Castrol Motorcycle Oil Link
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040925
Mobile 1 Motorcycle Oil Link
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ycle_Oils.aspx

From the Valvoline website I learned the following simple basic truths about oil:

Most people are familiar with oil's viscosity rating—10W40, for example. However, very few may know that the "W" refers to "winter," not "weight." And most of us have no idea what the weight-rating numbers actually mean other than that the vehicle's manufacturer specifies a particular viscosity.

Multigrade oils typically begin as base oils, such as 10W. Then viscosity-index modifiers (polymers) are added in an effort to stabilize the viscosity. This allows a 10W40 oil to flow like a 10W at cold temperatures and a 40W at higher temperatures. In other words, multigrade oils are formulated to pass viscosity tests across a range of weights. For example, 10W30 meets the requirements for 10-weight at cold temperatures and 30-weight at high temps.

For example, Valvoline states that they dropped SAE 30 and SAE 40 because SAE 10W40 does everything 30 or 40 can do—and some things the straight grades can't do—like increasing horsepower. If an off-roader doesn't like 10W40, then use 20W50. It can do everything a 10W40 can do except pass the sub-zero viscosity test at -20 degrees C (which is -4 degrees F).

I doubt I’ll be riding my Nomad at temps below freezing (32 degrees) much less below zero!

Here is the link if you want to learn more about oil:
http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...1ov&section=hm

The Nomad Owner’s Manual shows 20W-50 as one of the oils on the temp chart. Simply put, I am a fair weather cruiser and the climate in our area supports the viscosity and temps that can be reached on our roadways in the summer. I have been stuck in traffic on my Nomad and I can really feel the heat rising from the engine.

I’ve read a lot on oil over the last few days and I think I am going to be using the Mobile 1 V-Twin Motorcycle Oil in the link below.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...in_20W-50.aspx

Of course, before I do my pre-rally oil change, I am open to any suggestions by members of this forum who may be far more knowledgeable on the subject. So, here are some questions...

(1) What are your thoughts on type of oil for the Nomad?
(2) What kind of oil are you using?
(3) Do you think there is a difference between automotive and motorcycle oil?
(4) Are you going to change if you are using automotive oil?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Top Contributor

(1)Synthetic, and as soon as you want.

(2) I use Mobile 1. 20W50 summer 10W40 winter ( and Mobile 1 filter btw..)

(3) Yes..big difference for the clutch and its life and possible/probable slippage.

(4) NO NO...not gonna use automotive oil...not gunna do it.....

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #3

I just did the 600 mile initial oil change on my Nomad. As with all the bikes I have previously owned, I use the oil recommended by the company. I bought a gallon of the Kawasaki 10w-40 from my dealer that is recommended, and that's what I used. I have many friends that give me a hard time because I do what the dealer/company tells me to use. I realize that in the grand scope of things, it more than likely would be fine using an automotive oil, but the way I see it, I don't have a problem paying $14 for the gallon of Kawa oil if that's what is recommended. Personally, I like the piece of mind knowing that I did what was recommended, as I want to protect the $13k invest I made a month ago. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that's my two cents.

PC

Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #4

prairie cruiser, i do the same as you, what is recommended, however would like to know more about the benefit of using a synthetic.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #5

Just to throw my 2 cents in the ring.
I've had a Nomad since '01. Recently got my 07 after 35K miles on the 01.
Have always used synthetic after the break-in. And it's always been Amsoil or Mobile 1 15W50. and Mobile 1 oil filters as well.
No problems with either bike and have been thrilled to ride without breakdowns. High temps and rarely a freeze encourages year round rinding and switch from 10W40..
I could have bought the kaw brand oil but decided to forgo motorcycle oil only fiasco early on. However, NEVER use "energy conserving" oil. Your clutch will hate you for it.
Change it twice a year regardless of mileage and keep riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #6

roads1 welcome to the forum from Nebraska. DUI, I have 52K on my 03 Meanstreak,Amsoil 20W50 for the past 3 years and 35K miles with no problem,clutch and tranny work great.My 05 Nomad has 42K with Amsoil 20W50 for the past 35K as well.I am very satisfied with the Amsoil.I change the filter every 5K miles,and change the oil every 10K miles. As far as my friends,when they start paying the bills I'll let them make my decisions.And yes,there are as many opinions as there are riders.LOL.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #7

I appreciate the comments and like seeing what others think on the subject. I look forward to seeing more input from the extreme north and desert riding areas. I searched the previous forum posts on oil and didn't find much guidance for the new Nomad owner. I think these links will provide knowledge necessary to help with that decision depending on your riding climate.

Like you Prairie Cruiser, I thought about just staying with Kawasaki 10W40 because I've always used manufactures oil in my Yamaha and Honda and never had a problem. BUT...the Nomad engine (be it size or design) gets much hotter when sitting in warm weather traffic and that concerns me.

I will follow Todd's lead and switch to 20W50 full synthetic Mobile 1 motorcycle oil -- with the exception that I am going to use it year round. I rarely ride at temps below 50 degrees F and Mobile 1's specification/comparison sheet puts it well within my operating range. The change for me is really just a "peace of mind" thing.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #8

We run Mobile 1 15-50. I have met a guy at the VROC reunion last year that has run it in his bike over 100,000 miles and never had an engine problem. Liz's old Nomad had over 58,000 miles on it and all but the break in was on the Mobile 1. That bike still had the orginal clutch in it when we traded it. We have ridden in temps as low as 25 degrees and high enough to cause the thermometer on my handlebars to bury the needle and stick at 120+. I am not saying that this is the best oil on the market but that it is good enough for me. And I can get it as any Wal Mart store across the country.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #9

Here is a link to some pretty in depth stuff on oils and towards the end a good explanation of what this guy recommends for motorcycles.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html#Oil

Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #10

I agree with Todd synthetic is the way to go im also using the Mobil 1 V-twin 20W-50 and will change to 10W-40 when colder weather arrives
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #11

In 35 years of riding I've never bought "motorcycle" oil, except for one time. I'm using Mobil-1 15w-50 in the Nomad since the 600 mile change. I did use Mobil-1 20w-50 V-Twin oil once, just because they were selling it at Wal-Mart & it was only $1 more a quart. It was fine. I didn't really notice a difference.

When temps get down in the 30's I thin the 15w-50 out with one quart of 10w-40, which makes the engine crank over & oil faster when cold starting. I also stick a 500 watt heat lamp under the engine for an hour before I start it in temps below 40<sup>o</sup>, as my garage isn't heated. That helps a lot with cold starting and warmup.

I do ride (but carefully) at temps below 32<sup>o</sup>, & no problems. I think the synthetic oil is a big advantage in cold weather.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd (Nomadis Custodis)
(1)Synthetic, and as soon as you want.

(2) I use Mobile 1. 20W50 summer 10W40 winter ( and Mobile 1 filter btw..)

(3) Yes..big difference for the clutch and its life and possible/probable slippage.

(4) NO NO...not gonna use automotive oil...not gunna do it.....
I'm w/ Todd...with the exception that I don't change during the winter!!

Dui....since you're doing you own..be sure the check out the oil screen when you change. Info for it is in the gadget page...as well in BD's garage page. Some GOOOOD info there! You'll be fine bud and very happy w/ the Mobil1!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
In 35 years of riding I've never bought "motorcycle" oil, except for one time. I'm using Mobil-1 15w-50 in the Nomad since the 600 mile change. I did use Mobil-1 20w-50 V-Twin oil once, just because they were selling it at Wal-Mart & it was only $1 more a quart. It was fine. I didn't really notice a difference.

When temps get down in the 30's I thin the 15w-50 out with one quart of 10w-40, which makes the engine crank over & oil faster when cold starting. I also stick a 500 watt heat lamp under the engine for an hour before I start it in temps below 40<sup>o</sup>, as my garage isn't heated. That helps a lot with cold starting and warmup.

I do ride (but carefully) at temps below 32<sup>o</sup>, & no problems. I think the synthetic oil is a big advantage in cold weather.

Today's Price:
Wal-Mart ................... Mobil 1 15w 50 4qts. $ 22.98
Advance Auto.............. Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w 50 4qts. $38.36
Triumph M/C Dealer.... Mobil 1 Triumph Oil 15w 50 4qts. $53.58

Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #14

Amsoil when I can get it, Mobil 1 when I can't...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #15

My 4,000 mile oil change will be Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50. In the cooler winters down here it seldom fall below 32 degrees F. If it does, it's just for a couple of hours just before and after daybreak. Those "cold" days are few and far between in Cajun Country. 95 - 100 degree days are plenty....

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482