Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

Swing arm bearing question

In an effort to avoid down time, I thought I would order all the bearings to have on hand when servicing my swing arm. I am finding the LH side roller bearing (not needle bearing) to be unavailable or obsolete. Seriously-the 2017's have to use these same parts???? Any thoughts on that bearing. Service life or availability.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

If you know the mfr bearing number you can go to a local bearing supply and order it if they don't have it in stock. Or wait until you get it out and take it to a bearing supply company and they should be able to match it. I have done this for MC wheel bearings.
The supply houses are a lot cheaper than the dealer.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 12-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I am seeing it as available.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...46485/swingarm

It's either 601 or 92046 isn't it?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I would not have thought a 2012 bike would need new bearings.
Whats the mileage ?

Old 12-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I would not have thought a 2012 bike would need new bearings.
Whats the mileage ?
51475 mileage. Yes it's #601 on the parts fische. I called PartZilla and they say unavailable. BikeBandit is a no go too. Local dealer says available but likes to charge as much as 30% above suggested retail frequently!

Is anyone familiar with what to expect for wear at that mileage? I would think bearings would just need grease and a couple seals if it did not have water intrusion. I do not pressure was the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I think this is the first I have heard of someone doing a swing arm service on a 1700.

I don't think many needed to change the bearings on 1500/1600's with much higher mileage than you have.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
Advanced Member

This is also the first I have ever heard of anyone changing them. And there are lots of peeps with more miles than you. I am just under 50K and the idea of changing them never crossed my mind.

Lube em and be done with it.

I would also contact a few more places online. If your local dealer can get them so can the online places...they are just regular dealers too. Try Ron Ayers, they were pretty much the original online OEM parts people.

No way they are not available, like you said it's the same bearing from the first year to 2017.

But again, I think you are fixing something that isn't broke.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
Advanced Member

My swingarm bearings were in great shape so I cleaned and lubed, and put back together.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
In an effort to avoid down time, I thought I would order all the bearings to have on hand when servicing my swing arm. I am finding the LH side roller bearing (not needle bearing) to be unavailable or obsolete. Seriously-the 2017's have to use these same parts???? Any thoughts on that bearing. Service life or availability.
Sounds like someone worked on the bike and put in a dry bearing! All you need to do is get the # off the bearings and call MSG....they'll fix you up....
But, slide everything together, dummy it up, and check your play and clearance. Just might need grease and things torqued down.
No older than your bike is you should not have to do this unless they put it in dry or you have 15 bagillon miles on it. While apart, you ought to consider adding a zerk fitting to grease them without disassembly....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 12-12-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
Advanced Member

or you have 15 bagillon miles on it.

is that what is meant for a lot of miles on a bagger? LOL

Old 12-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

Thanks to all that responded. I am going to just order grease seals and see what i find when it comes apart. The service manual states 15,000 mile/24 month service interval. I often seek out forum members that have first hand knowledge of an issue before I begin. Some lessons are just more expensive than others when you go it alone!

Old 12-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
Advanced Member

354,000 miles on my stock, original swingarm bearings. Lube them regularly and replace the seals if they look worn. Ride more, worry less!
Also still have original wheel bearings, I do replace the seals to ensure dirt and water can't get to them.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #13

Let me just say this, GV is right. Alot of folks take time to visit the carwashes on occassion, and the high pressure wash can push past the seals, and gaskets, etc. Sometimes get a little too aggressive, you can place water inside the left hand engine cover where alot of wires are....and this my friends can lead to a whole bunch of no-fun!
The bearings have 'Dust Shields', not water shields.
Heavy road impacts, and side thrusts will also wear out bearings, so if you rack up alot of road miles, bearing will wear out sooner.
I don't look at my bike, I ride mine. I fix things and replace things as the are needed, that way I'm very seldom stranded by the side of the road!
High pressure water loves 2 things, playing hell with your bearings, and your electrical harness....

or you have 15 bagillon miles on it.
is that what is meant for a lot of miles on a bagger? LOL

----Hells Yea, Skulls!---- 1 Bagillion miles()=thats equiv. to 1 bagger owner owning the bike, till he decides he wants or needs another....
I rode the same Harley ElectraGlide for over 25 years....cause I had it like I wanted it.
Phase III belt drive, sifton minus minus cam, solid lifters, remote oil filter, dual mikunis, 2" only slightly muffled shotguns, Trock heads and cylinders, with the S&S 96" stroker kit.
She went thru 4 engine rebuilds (rering & bearings/oilpump every 45000 miles), and 1 trans., but that was only because I switched to a 5 speed Baker....to keep the revs down on the interstate. 75mph=2900rpm....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 12-13-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #14

Final bearing results

My ride is a 2012 Voyager that I purchased new (non current). It now has 52K miles on it. With the hope of warmer weather I'm installing tires and am back to the swing arm service we talked about previously. Keep in mind this bike has been washed with nothing but a garden hose. It also has never had the swing arm apart. The grease seals are not damaged. Kawasaki assembled the swing arm with very little grease. Both needle bearings have rusty grease in them and the roller bearing is rough and has no grease visible. The shaft is galled from rust and has needle bearing witness marks that can be felt with my fingernail. There were a lot of assumptions made, but the proof is in the pudding. I would suggest doing the service much earlier and install a grease zerk. At least you would know where you are at. Ignorance is bliss - did not go very far for me! Cheers.