Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #61

Hey Caveman. Enjoy your thread and the improvements you have made. Very informative. Regarding your newly acquired risers, I have been looking at a set myself yet have pondered over size. I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam. My 5'6" wife is taller than me when sitting. Would you mind giving your height and inseam for a comparison?

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #62

No prob-
6'4" Tall with a 36" Inseam. They have 2", 2.5" and 3" risers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydgy View Post
Hey Caveman. Enjoy your thread and the improvements you have made. Very informative. Regarding your newly acquired risers, I have been looking at a set myself yet have pondered over size. I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam. My 5'6" wife is taller than me when sitting. Would you mind giving your height and inseam for a comparison?

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 11-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #63
Advanced Member

Am just checking back in after some doing some traveling.

Canuckrider, thanks for the gouge on the Kawi bag rails. I'll order a set. I was just looking at my Nomad today in the chock thinking that I needed to get some rails and wishing it was summer again already.

Caveman, you are really getting into your Nomad. I don't understand the need for the steering head bearings but that's a great tutorial for when I feel the need. Great thread. You're the man Caveman.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #64

Hey Navigator, welcome back.
In regards to stem bearings, there are varying levels of symptoms that lead you to decide immediate need or just get it done before they get worse.
Mine were at the immediate need stage, as the front end was very loose and was causing handling and safety issues. Now that I have everything done, I know the symptoms and will stay on top of greasing & periodic adjustment in order to keep it feeling as good as it does right now. If you have more than 20k on your bike and haven't greased the bearings, I would recommend doing it during the off season when you have some time.

If you experience any of the following, you will thank yourself after servicing the bearings:

- Handlebar vibration/wobbling at any speed.
- Difficulty remaining stable at slow speeds or when approaching a stop.
- Front end pulling when hitting tar snakes or jerking to one side when going over a bump.
- Difficulty holding a line through a sweeping curve or maneuvering a low speed turn.
- Front end becomes unstable when riding 2 up or carrying a load.

Granted, other issues may also cause symptoms like those just described but the first thing I'd check would be your stem bearings (if you haven't already).
OH, I almost forgot, another issue: My hands would be tingly after short 20-30 minute rides. The bad bearings allowed all of the vibration to flow through the handlebars right into my hands... no issues now.
Of course, you'll always feel a little which is fine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Am just checking back in after some doing some traveling.

Canuckrider, thanks for the gouge on the Kawi bag rails. I'll order a set. I was just looking at my Nomad today in the chock thinking that I needed to get some rails and wishing it was summer again already.

Caveman, you are really getting into your Nomad. I don't understand the need for the steering head bearings but that's a great tutorial for when I feel the need. Great thread. You're the man Caveman.

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Last edited by Caveman; 11-23-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:40 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
No prob-
6'4" Tall with a 36" Inseam. They have 2", 2.5" and 3" risers.
Well that didn't work. Too much variation in height and inseam. Thanks for the info though Caveman.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Brydgy; 11-28-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #66
Advanced Member

Just took the plunge with Cobra exhaust on the way with delivery by Dec 21st.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #67
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Hey Navigator, welcome back.
In regards to stem bearings, there are varying levels of symptoms that lead you to decide immediate need or just get it done before they get worse.
Mine were at the immediate need stage, as the front end was very loose and was causing handling and safety issues. Now that I have everything done, I know the symptoms and will stay on top of greasing & periodic adjustment in order to keep it feeling as good as it does right now. If you have more than 20k on your bike and haven't greased the bearings, I would recommend doing it during the off season when you have some time.

If you experience any of the following, you will thank yourself after servicing the bearings:

- Handlebar vibration/wobbling at any speed.
- Difficulty remaining stable at slow speeds or when approaching a stop.
- Front end pulling when hitting tar snakes or jerking to one side when going over a bump.
- Difficulty holding a line through a sweeping curve or maneuvering a low speed turn.
- Front end becomes unstable when riding 2 up or carrying a load.

Granted, other issues may also cause symptoms like those just described but the first thing I'd check would be your stem bearings (if you haven't already).
OH, I almost forgot, another issue: My hands would be tingly after short 20-30 minute rides. The bad bearings allowed all of the vibration to flow through the handlebars right into my hands... no issues now.
Of course, you'll always feel a little which is fine..
Mine are in good shape but it's always good to know that this is an issue of which one should be mindful. I've never had steering head bearings go except on my old Triumphs and those are an easy fix.

I lost a front wheel bearing on my VStrom this June on my way back from Dawson City, Yukon. It was somewhat the same symptoms. It's a sinking feeling when out in bush with no cell service and no one to call even if available. The lesson learned is to be mindful of anything odd going on with the front end.

Last edited by Navigator; 12-18-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 AM   #68

K & N made my 2014 Vaquero run funny, didn't like it.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #69

It's been a few months since my last update on this thread... The bike has been doing well. I've been averaging 600-700 miles per month.

1) Shinko tires: I have almost 2500 miles on them now & they are performing very well, especially considering the cost factor vs higher end tires. The tire pressure in the front is definitely better in the 38-40 range vs the lower end... The back is doing well at 42 psi.

2) Steering stem: Since my last post I tightened it another 1/8 turn, not that there was anything wrong.. Just more to my liking.

3) Just did an oil/filter change. I know the synthetic oil is good for more mileage, but I've been riding regularly and wanted to get another change in before summer just to make sure any remaining sludge from previous owners is all cleared out. This is the 2nd change I've done since buying the bike last June.

4). Just changed the antifreeze for the first time. I used Engine Ice because the engine still seemed to get a little warm, even with our nice temperatures. We're only 75+ right now... Hoping it will help.

5). Adjusted the Throttle Position Sensor.. I wasn't going to do it, but since I had the tank out of the way I decided to check it. During the cool months, the bike was perfect. Now that it's getting over 70 again, stop and go traffic tends to warm the bike up a little bit & that's when I notice a very slight ping at 2up.. It read 4.452V at WOT.. Went to 4.470V. Only 0.018 change. It felt better when I took it for a quick ride today. I'll report back on this.

6). Mustang seats. A+. I hear RDL is still better, but I couldn't pass up the deal I found on this barely used set. WELL worth the money. I just added a Grasshopper backrest that's made for the Mustang Seats & love it.

7). Extended highway pegs for my freakishly long legs. Big improvement.

I've been loving this bike. It's very dependable, runs well, pulls strongly..even up hill with a full load... No complaints here.

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #70

Air cleaner 48.00 with K&n filter, power tuning chip , opened up pipes no drivability issue at all

Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #71

Air cleaner 48.00 with K&n filter, power tuning chip , opened up pipes no drivability issue at all

Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #72

I noticed a comment in one of the posts about slow speed steering and 'top-heaviness'. Resolve or mitigate that problem significantly by dropping front tyre size down to 130 from the stock 150.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
I noticed a comment in one of the posts about slow speed steering and 'top-heaviness'. Resolve or mitigate that problem significantly by dropping front tyre size down to 130 from the stock 150.
You are probably going to drop it in a parking lot at some stage,if you got engine bars it aint so embarrasing,but you will need help getting it upright.Adopt a cool,could'nt give a shit demenour,while casually asking the person you were just trying to impress,for a lift.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #74

I figured it was time to revive this thread, as I've done more work on the bike this year. I've been able to ride quite a bit over the last 6 months, riding out to San Diego, another ride to Laughlin and even one up to Ely, NV.

Since the last updates, here are some of the things I've done:

- Swapped out the front wheel for the 18" HD Street Glide wheel (see the thread on that if you're interested.. Very nice upgrade. I love the look and the ride is great.

- Scrapped the Shinko tires and put on Commander II's. Great decision.. This is a much better tire. The Shinko's are still fine for the price, but ride feel of the Commanders is more to my liking.

- Installed a Baron's Big Air Kit and removed all of the reed valves, emissions crap, etc. GREAT upgrade. I already had a right side air cleaner on the stock intake, which was great, but the Baron's is a noticeable improvement over that setup. Love it.

- Installed cam chain extenders... Man, that was way easier that it looks. I did them at 37k miles on the bike & the extenders were all the way out.

- Did a complete drop of the swing arm & drive shaft, Lubed everything, shimmed the swing arm (there was a lot of play).. BIG improvement in the handling.

- Almost forgot to mention: the two tubes at the back end of the tank that used to connect to the separator/emissions crap, are now just connected together instead of being capped off. Surprisingly, the nagging pressure build up issue in the tank is gone! I rode earlier in the week in 100 degree weather, stop and start, for a good part of the day. No issues.

- Installed new Cobra True Duals Billet Tip.. Looks & sounds great. Got a great deal on eBay.

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 08-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #75

Good result mate.Did you re-jet the carb and fit some straight through pipe's while you were at it.Noisy is good..Despite what that old fart TC has to say.