Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #1

Wash/Wax Vulcan

As the weather warms up, one of the first things I want to do is clean up my bike. I'm new to motorcycles so I'm not sure what I should use to clean mine. I'm leery to break out the the garden hose and start spraying for fear of getting water into the electrics.

What are you using to wash/wax yours? What's good for cleaning and protecting the chrome? Do I need anything special for the "fins" on the engine?

Sorry for all the questions!

Gary

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Nomad1500 View Post
As the weather warms up, one of the first things I want to do is clean up my bike. I'm new to motorcycles so I'm not sure what I should use to clean mine. I'm leery to break out the the garden hose and start spraying for fear of getting water into the electrics.

What are you using to wash/wax yours? What's good for cleaning and protecting the chrome? Do I need anything special for the "fins" on the engine?

Gary

S-100. Follow the directions. Does an excellent job

Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #3

turtle wax car wash water and a hose. Just don't turn the hose on full blast. Use a leaf blower to dry it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Nomad1500 View Post

Gary
You most certainly can wash it with a hose, just like a car. My bike has gone through hundreds of miles of rain at 70 mph. That is far worse than anything your hose can do.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

Yes, Always, Always, Always rinse it well with a hose. You want to get the Grit off before you start any rubbing on the paint or chrome. The soap acts as a lubricant to Move the dirt around and reduce scratching. Most people use standard car wash liquid and a sponge, or even just dishwashing soap diluted well ( Dawn is a very good product but harsh on the paint if mixed to strong) .
*Using a sponge can pick up loose dirt or particulates missed in the initial rinse and cause scratches as they’re pulled over the paintwork. I usually use Micro fiber cloths, especially on the windshield. But rubbing is rubbing. Windshield (NEVER use paper towels on it) with Micro fiber towels wipe only up and down, This way it will reduce the light refraction at night as the windshield gets older ( Scratched)
I use a bottle brush on the wheels First and all other heavy grime a tooth Brush (usually the wife's, but only sometimes) and work my way up the bike, rinsing areas that I have cleaned as I work up the bike. I use car wax 2 times, Pick your favorite. I can Not recommend a good Chrome polish (Not Qualified) I just use Turtle.
The Leaf Blower is the best to dry it off.
When your done if it doesn't run well then you found a problem at home and not on the road. Great news, Fix it and your good. If a bike Cant work in the rain get rid of it or fix it. Because they should work well in the rain.
Generally I only do this once a year, the rest of the year I ride, And Let the rain do its Magic. I bought it to ride Not fuss over and Let it sit in the garage. I Park the Truck and Ride every day. Every where.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #6

I'll answer that you can you whatever car type clean or polish you normally use but DO NOT use a high pressure washer. You don't want to force water pass a seal and into an area that needs to stay dry. Remember that a bike is designed to withstand riding in the rain.

You can also use a blower to dry it, yes some will say you are forcing dust across the paint causeing scratches and you should only use a filtered air etc but again bike gets hit with lots of dust, bugs etc going down the road.

So go out and wash/clean your ride then go for a ride and enjoy it.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

I once did an "emergency" wash at my grandparents using the garden hose, bucket, sponge, and liquid laundry detergent. To my complete amazement the laundry detergent did an incredible job. I have not switched over to it, but it works really well in a pinch.

2006 Vulcan Nomad
2003 Road Star Silverado *SOLD*

Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #8

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I don't currently have a leaf blower, but this gives me a reason to buy one! :)

Old 03-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #9

Over the past 14 years and 225,000+ miles on the highway I have tried a lot of products to clean my bike. The best product I have found by far is McGuire's Gold Class. Hose your bike off, mix some in a bucket with water and go to town with a microfibre sponge or towel. It'll shine when your done.

It is ok to use dish washing liquid in a pinch but I wouldn't make a habit of it, it will strip the wax from the painted surfaces. Wax paint every once in while with a quality wax (I use McGuire's) use something like mothers chrome polish on the chrome as it is fairly gentle. Usually I don't have to wax paint and polish chrome too often because the McQuires Gold Class has wax in it, after you wipe it down with a microfibre after washing it leaves a durable shine.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
Advanced Member

I get caught in rain more often than I'd like, so one other suggestion would be putting some treatment on the windshield. I like to use Stoner's Invisible Glass, but Rain X works well too.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
I get caught in rain more often than I'd like, so one other suggestion would be putting some treatment on the windshield. I like to use Stoner's Invisible Glass, but Rain X works well too.
Stoners and regular RainX contain solvents that will damage plastic windshields over time. You may not have noticed any affects yet, but eventually you will. RainX has a version for plastic (I don't believe that Stoners does) . I would recommend switching to that.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #12

Been seeing people using a product called topcoat f-11... going to pull the trigger on it from what I'm seeing from others that have.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Stoners and regular RainX contain solvents that will damage plastic windshields over time. You may not have noticed any affects yet, but eventually you will. RainX has a version for plastic (I don't believe that Stoners does) . I would recommend switching to that.
Thanks, I'll check into that.

I know the rainx bug stuff they sell for cars will eat the the clearcoat off a car. Learned that one the hard way.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda15Vq View Post
Been seeing people using a product called topcoat f-11... going to pull the trigger on it from what I'm seeing from others that have.
I saw a video of that too. Looked impressive on that.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 03-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
I saw a video of that too. Looked impressive on that.
$60 for 16 ounces pretty high priced stuff.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"