Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Just finished the clutch spring replacement.

I followed Gadgets fix it instructions and it took me about 2.5 hours total.
My Nomad has almost 38,000 miles on it. I've only owned it a couple of years and only put a couple thousand miles on it each year. I didn't notice the slip until after I had ridden in several parades last year. I'm hoping it's been slipping since I bought it. That would explain the poor gas mileage it gets.

By far and away removing the old gasket took the longest amount of time. The old gasket was really stuck. I ended up using a dremel tool with a stainless steel wire wheel to get it off.

The only other thing that stood out was figuring out what the "rectifier" was. I knew it probably had something to do with the electrical system so I looked for wires. ;)

I couldn't reach The Judge so I didn't get the washers, but I'm okay with that. I did the bad downshift once when I was 18 and had the rear wheel lock up on my 850. I don't want to experience that again.

I couldn't find my grease so reassembling the bow washers was a little rough. I had to "stab" at it three or four times before I was comfortable that they went together without falling off.

My torque wrench only goes to 80 pounds, so I took note of exactly where "The Nut" was before I started and used my impact gun to try and put it back exactly where I found it. More art than science, but I suppose we'll see how she holds up over this summer's riding.

Now that I've said all that, let me say that it has been thunderstorming with tornado watches here for about four days, so I haven't really put it to the test. I have bounced it a few times in the garage, but nothing with any sort of load.

Thanks to everyone for their support. If you take the time to collect everything you're going to need before you start, this is really an easy repair.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Congrats on a good job. Things I know I will be needing in the future, I like to go ahead and get them and put them up on a shelf, where when I need them, I will already have them. On my shelf I had the Yuasa YTX20CH-BS (bought dry without the electrolyte added), cam tensioner extenders the MT-25 Barnett clutch spring and new cover gasket. Last year I had to do the extenders, and earlier this year I had to install the Yuasa. The clutch spring and gasket and other various parts are still waiting......

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

I held the stock spring and the barnett spring in my hands. I couldn't put my finger on it, but the barnett spring just had a better feel to it.

It may have all been in my head, but there seemed to be a quality difference.

My old spring was really ground down. because of the shape, I wasn't able to get my caliper style micrometer to the bad area to get a reading. My father-in-law has one that I think will get a proper reading. I'm going to see just how many thousandths that thing was worn down before it gave out.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

The Barnett spring is made of a slightly thicker material, so is the Meanstreak spring.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

Faxxxy, my cover gasket came off with the cover and wasn't stuck to either side. In fact, I could have probably re-used it. I had grease and stabbed mine 3 times also before I felt confident that the washers stayed in place. One thing I noticed when going back together was the slave cylinder piston had crept out some. I couldn't get spring clip back in the groove on the round cover plate until I pushed the rod pretty hard. It slowly crept back in while I was holding pressure on it. I didn't put Judge's washers either with the MT-25 spring. I really don't think they are needed with the Barnett. The clutch lever is much stiffer than it was. Got home too late tonight to install the torque cones and head pipes. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

Good job getting the clutch spring done. I used the Judge washer and really liked the way the clutch grabbed and hooked-up to the pavement. But I've heard good things about the Barnett.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

When I did mine, half the gasket stuck to the cover, the other half to the case. It took longer to scrape that off than it did to change the spring.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Oh I forgot................. you used to have a Nomad until you KILLED IT!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Oh I forgot................. you used to have a Nomad until you KILLED IT!!
I hope nobody else here kills theirs.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

:( :( :( :( :( :-/ :-/ :-/

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005