Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #1

Just cant seem to pull the trigger

Ok I want to replace the stock seat on the Nomad but everytime I think I am dialed in with a certain seat, I read a bad review and shelf the plan. I thought I was down with the Mustang seat. I had one on my Honda Sabre and loved it but read reviews from some folks who think it was not much better than the stock seat and others were disappointed that it seemed to move them closer to the tank, further cramping them, true? Does it lower you also? I was looking at the Ultimate seat. Anyone have one of these?
Would love to hear anybodies experiences with ANY aftermarket seats.

I know this has been talked about a lot but did we ever come to a consensus on which of these seats was more comfortable than the others for the money?
'01 1500FI Nomad, traded 9/12
Also '02 Honda Sabre
Kawanow #826

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Top Contributor

My brother went with the Mustang on his Nad and loves it. it does raise you up about 1 inch but worth the comfort. I will soon pull the trigger on a Mustang too.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #3

The 1500 seat is as good of a seat I have ever had. I had to put a Mustang on the 800 tho. I might be able to ride that 100 miles now without it feeling like a cinderblock. I guess I'm old enough to be loosing my butt so need to buy padding. Something you can look forward to.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #4

This guy redoes stockers and has been on the Vulcan forums a few times,, a few there used him,, I may try him if my modded seat doest work out... I added a gel pad, 1/2" foam... and cut the wedge out last year,, after my big trip.. so I have done 150/200 miles on it and not bad,, Several guys redo seats on line,, Ill hunt the links down,, they had good review as well.. BUTT I hate to spend 700$ on a Seat as well....Rich

Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #5

I had a Mustang but my old spine needed something harder so I now have a Corbin. Liz put the Mustang on her Nomad and loves it. But she is 5' 5" and the Mustang lowered her a bit and moved her forward which was what she needed. On the other hand my Corbin lowered me some and moved me back a little. Which was worked great for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Seats are very subjective. What works for me may not work for you. I had a Mustang seat on my previous bike and after the first 250 mile ride on my Nomad, I knew the stock seat wasn't going to cut it. We were coming back to Phoenix and I couldn't get comfortable on the stock seat. If I'd had a gun I would have shot myself to end my suffering. When you are so preoccupied by something like that, riding becomes dangerous. The next day I ordered a 3-piece Mustang seat and have to say it was money well spent.

It's too bad that you can't test ride an aftermarket seat before you buy one.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Seats are very subjective. What works for me may not work for you. I had a Mustang seat on my previous bike and after the first 250 mile ride on my Nomad, I knew the stock seat wasn't going to cut it. We were coming back to Phoenix and I couldn't get comfortable on the stock seat. If I'd had a gun I would have shot myself to end my suffering. When you are so preoccupied by something like that, riding becomes dangerous. The next day I ordered a 3-piece Mustang seat and have to say it was money well spent.

It's too bad that you can't test ride an aftermarket seat before you buy one.
I have to agree with every word CJ just said
+1

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Top Contributor

true, +1

Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #9

I bought a spare stock seat and had it sent to Mean City Cycles for re-working.

The longest I've been on it is two hours, but those two hours were a lot more comfortable than two hours on the stock seat would have been. My butt actually hurt after a ride on the stock seat.

With the Mean City Cycle seat, I don't mind getting off and stretching after a couple of hours, but my butt doesn't hurt like it used to.

For $140, it's a vast improvement and a lot cheaper than a replacement seat.

I could not handle being moved forward on the seat like the Mustang is supposed to do. I guess if I ever have big bucks to waste, I might look at the Russell Day Long seat.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #10

If I remember correctly you can return either a Mustang or Corbin seat within 30 days if your not happy with it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #11

Well I don't know why you would spend money on a seat when the original seat seems good to me. But I must say when I travel long trips I do have a woven sheep skin I sit on :) Its great to keep you warm and also to keep heat away, Oh and mn cruiser I really like the colour of you're bike LOL

Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Hi, I bought a Mustang seat for my last bike (Virago 1100) and while it was 50 % better than the stocker it was still only good for about 2 hours. When I bought the Nomad I did not want another Mustang for that reason and had heard nothing but good things about the Daylong seats. With the Daylong I can now ride as long as I want and use the Nomad to its full potential. I have done 500 mile days on the Daylong and feel the same as 2 hours on the Mustang. If comfort is a priority over cost get the Daylong. They are custom made while Mustangs are generic. Having said that a Mustang might suit you just fine at a little less money. I am very happy with my decision and will probably recoup a good portion of the Daylongs cost if I sell the Nomad. I still have the original seats which will go on the bike if I decide to sell.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #13

I had mine redone here locally. The guy took some of the stock foam and installed high density foam instead on both the rider and pillion seats. The total cost of the job was $125. My wife and I like the change and it is a ton better than the stock. I have looked at the Mustang, Corbin and the Daylong but I don't want to spend that much money...although the Daylong would be my choice if I did.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Top Contributor

I too have a Mustang and while I can't compare it to anything other than the stock seat....it is one hell of an improvement over that... ! What I really love is the backrest part of the three-piece ensemble. It is really solid and makes riding a very joyous occasion. I am curious to see how I like it after a few 400 miles days...but one 400 mile day on my stock seat was more than enough to convince me a change was in order. This summer will be the real test... !
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay
Hi, I bought a Mustang seat for my last bike (Virago 1100) and while it was 50 % better than the stocker it was still only good for about 2 hours. When I bought the Nomad I did not want another Mustang for that reason and had heard nothing but good things about the Daylong seats. With the Daylong I can now ride as long as I want and use the Nomad to its full potential. I have done 500 mile days on the Daylong and feel the same as 2 hours on the Mustang. If comfort is a priority over cost get the Daylong. They are custom made while Mustangs are generic. Having said that a Mustang might suit you just fine at a little less money. I am very happy with my decision and will probably recoup a good portion of the Daylongs cost if I sell the Nomad. I still have the original seats which will go on the bike if I decide to sell.
This pretty much echoes my experience. My last bike was a Honda Shadow. I replaced the stock seat with a Mustang and it was a big improvement. When I bought my Nomad, it already had the Russell Day-Long on it, so I can't really compare it to the stock seat. I will say it is the most comfortable seat I have ever ridden on. I especially like the width of it. It supports your entire butt so you're not just sitting on your tail bone. My wife agrees that the passenger seat is much more comfortable than the Mustang too.