Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #16

Winterizing Assistance?

Its just like Momma taught you..............Its good to share!! LOL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Winterizing Assistance?

Clayton, Watch the wheels... if salt gets under that clear, it is real bad news. And both my fenders are undercoated too. I really packed it in the seams and crannies, but my ft fender is damaged from hitting a jeep that hit a moose last year. Might have no choice but to ride it that way this year. $$$ are pretty tight here.

I could hammer it out amd fix the spot welds easy enough, but the paint is more than a fender in paint.

I saw, well heard, a bike today, but i won't be out till a rain, washes the roads mostly clean of sand and salt. I live pretty rural, with 1/2 miles driveway just to Hell Bump town road, then every where around here is inches deep in sand and salt. The State roads are white in salt.

The last thing I need is a early season wreck on sand and salt. In New Hampster cagers forget things like bikes too, and I like a few eager beavers to go let em know a lot of bikes will be out soon.

My drive way is a sheet of ice, and pretty hard to just stand up and walk on.

If that ends up being delayed I can trailer the bike a bit and leave the van and trailer at a buddys house, but that is a ways a way too.

The Mts in NH are a lot colder thn even down state.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #18

Winterizing Assistance?

I ride year round here in GA. Coldest days this year were 18 and 17 degrees. Not a long trip to work but my work clothes are polyester uniforms that offer no protection from the cold. We had 4-6 inches of snow yesterday. The roads look pretty clear today. All those pictures of snow covered sheds with Nomads inside are not so funny now!!! No salt used much around here. More used in the mountains along with sand so we usually wait for some rain to wash it away before we head up there.

Our last long ride was MLK Day on Jan 18. About 200 miles to and from Barnesville, GA., the buggy capitol of GA. (In the day).

Take care and stay warm, ya'll.

Steve

Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #19

Winterizing Assistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
What is this "Winterizing" you talk of? Dave and I have no idea what that is??
Come on Brad, you know what is is. That's when, it so cold, we have to wear a jacket to ride.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Winterizing Assistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Clayton, Watch the wheels... if salt gets under that clear, it is real bad news. And both my fenders are undercoated too. I really packed it in the seams and crannies, but my ft fender is damaged from hitting a jeep that hit a moose last year. Might have no choice but to ride it that way this year. $$$ are pretty tight here.

I could hammer it out amd fix the spot welds easy enough, but the paint is more than a fender in paint.

I saw, well heard, a bike today, but i won't be out till a rain, washes the roads mostly clean of sand and salt. I live pretty rural, with 1/2 miles driveway just to Hell Bump town road, then every where around here is inches deep in sand and salt. The State roads are white in salt.

The last thing I need is a early season wreck on sand and salt. In New Hampster cagers forget things like bikes too, and I like a few eager beavers to go let em know a lot of bikes will be out soon.

My drive way is a sheet of ice, and pretty hard to just stand up and walk on.

If that ends up being delayed I can trailer the bike a bit and leave the van and trailer at a buddys house, but that is a ways a way too.

The Mts in NH are a lot colder thn even down state.
Mac,
Thanks I will be sure to keep the rims clear of any build up.
On the note of Clean...
I use the following Armor All cleaner on my wheels...
Thoughts?
http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ry_index=wheel

Thanks

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Winterizing Assistance?

Clayton, Yeah go ahead but don't let it get to near the used sidewalls, where you show sign of cornering. I use a rag in the other hand.

Well that is their tire stuff I am talking about.

Armorall is good stuff IMO. I call their stuff for paint, Paint Food LOL

The wheel cleaner is good stuff too. The only product they make I don't like is the vinal stuff for seats. That stuff is killer slippery on car seats and would be worse on a bike.... No good on steering wheels either..

IMO the very best of the very best stuff for real chrome and or numba 1 alloy is Lusterlace.

I saw that stuff at Laconia Bike Week and planned to mock the guy selling it out. Oh boy was I ever WRONG, but that is NOT for paint. There is a site.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
Advanced Member

Winterizing Assistance?

Thanks Mac,
Yea I normally take a rag and buff up only the sides and stay away from the edge of the lip.
I'm glad the cleaner is good to go because it works magic on dirty wheels....virtually no scrubbing at all...spray on and let it set for a few and then spray off with water hose...
Less work more play...thats my moto... :)

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332