Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthWest Group

Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #1

question

to those of you who have the usa map showing which states you
have riden,where do you find it and how do you add it to your page????thanks.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #2

question

Here is the link to the answer

http://www.kawanow.org/forumfaq/profile.htm
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 11-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #3

question

And, for the direct link....

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

question

thanks guys for the info.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #5

question

John,
How are you liking that 2000 in comparison to the Nomad?
Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #6

question

The two are so different. Hard to believe that they are both Kawasaki cruisers.

I love the looks and handling of the Nomad. It is light, lithe, agile and just a little under powered. I can pull out of the driving lot and just flick her around like nothing (HA!) Comfortable with plenty of room in the bags. With the big Clearview shield there is a little bit of hunt inthe front end when cruising over 70 or 75 indicated. Still, it is a very comfortable ride.

The VN2000 is just a brute horsepower machine. Feels a little heavier. 739 lbs for the Nomad vs 884.2 lbs for the V2K, so, yea it is a bigger heavier bike. This is most noticable at start up and low speed handling. It also shows up at speed bacuse it doesn't want to change direction as quickly as the Nomad will. On the highways and freeways this is a good thing. the wind blast from simis and busses isn't as noticable as on the Nomad.

The ride is very comfortable. The 2K just glides over most of the imperfections in the highways. Teh suspension is very compliant. This, combined with the extra weight makes for a very comfortable highway tourer. In handling, this thing is no slouch, either. It takes a little effort to start a turn, but once in it, it will follow you lead and wants to do what you tell it to do. Yes, I have drug the boards a couple of times. Never did that on the Nad and it scared me silly. Was not expecting that.

Fuel milage is very good. I'm averaging around 40 MPG. Have gotten almost 50 while cruising at relativley low speeds on the back roads. When Kris and I did Oyster Run I averaged a little over 48 MPG - 40 to 50 MPH on the back roads most of the time, gentle on the throttle, nice pleasent day. On the trip to Denver in September I got as low as 35 MPG on parts of I-80 (95 indicated for several hours at a time). Yep, higher power settings take more gas. I do like the larger fuel tank, especially in comparison to my Nomad. My Nomad can only cary about 4.2 Gallons vs the 5.5 of the VN2000. In reality, I think that you can squeeze in a lot more than 5.5 Galons. 5.5 is to the bottom of the filler tube. I push it to the top of the tank lip.

The real difference between the two is in raw power. The Nomad (with the 1500) had adequate power. I thought that the Caddman mod added more, and it did. About 5 HP more. The additional 550 cc just about doubles the power and torque. The motor pumps out 119 HP and 149 lb-ft of torque. I swear, this thing will accellerate vertically carrying my wife, full saddlebags, me and hauling the trailer. The power is just aweinspiring. It reminds me of when I made the jump from my KZ400 to the Z1B back in '75. Really big eyes looking out of the helmet.

Unlike the Z1, the V2K power pand is much more gentle. With the Z1 you had to have the revs up to around 2000 before the power actually started to come on. With the 2000, the power is there at much lower revs and it builds very linerally. There is no need to do a hard launch, unless you just like purchasing rear tires. A "gentle" throuttle will usually out run anything except a screaming eagle or some of the crotch rockets. Then, you can light 'em up and smoke 'em, 'cause you got 'em.

I only see two or three down sides to the 2K.

1. The seat is harder than a stock Nomads. I got a terminal case of sore butt on both of my long rides last summer. On the Denver trip I did manage to scroe some high density foam to sit on, which helped some. I'm looking into alternative seating arangements before summer.

2. Storage space. I confess, the Nomad spoiled me with the bags. The bags on the 2000 are trully, LT, as in Light Touring. Darned light. If I don't pull a mold off of the Nomad, I'll go with these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MU-SI...Q5fAccessories

3. I'll have to part with the Nomad. I love that bike, but Momma says I can only have one big toy at a time. So, the Nomad will have to go at some point. It didnt' sell on fleabay last week, so I got a short reprieve. Might have to hold on to it until spring when prices go back up.

And, that's my story and I sticken to it.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Advanced Member

question

....nice writeup bigjohn. I certainly would like to test ride a v2k to feel all that horsepower. But I will stick to my trusty Nad for another year or two and wait for the Voyagers. Having the touring ammenities like the big bags and trunk are a real plus. I have seen the v2k with Nomad bags and a trunk and it looked great. Maybe that is something you will do?

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #8

question

One of the things that I have always liked about the N'ad is the exhaust on both sides of the rear tire...I think that mod would look good on the 2K, and then would allow for larger storage. I appreciate your review; it was well written and thought out.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #9

question

Thanks, guys. I have seriously considered pulling a mold off the bags and making a set for the 2K. Rolf did that for his in Norway and widened them by almost 2 inches. Moster bags that look super. Just don't know if I have the talent to pull it off. That is why I'm considering the MU bags as an alternative.

I love the bagger exhaust system onthe Nad. unfortunaly, there are a few problems in creatign a dual system for the 2K. The major one is the location of the belt drive. Also, there just isn't enough room on the left for the rear exhaust to emerge and not burn up your leg. Kind of frustrating.