Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #1

V&H question

I recently purchase a 1600 with V&H exhaust. The previous owner told me that he put quite baffles in. My question is, how do I take them out? I want to see what makes them "quite baffles" and I want to reverse it.

I've been riding a 900 with cobra speedster exhaust and they were loud. I really like the sound. These sound like stock with the quite baffles in them.

How can I get the best, loudest sound without loosing any power.

Also, I have a FI2000 fuel possessor, what setting should I have it set on with the stock intake and V&H exhaust? Thanks!

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #2

V&H question

If they are stock baffles , you just remove the two screws on the bottom of each pipe and pull the baffles out. The stock V&H baffles have a fiberglass packing wrapped around the baffle. I have read here that there are several ways to change the sound with these pipes , like removing the packing , cutting the baffle in half and a few other ways. I dont know how any of those ways sound as i still have the stock baffles in mine.I am sure the experts will chime in here and tell you more.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

V&H question

Road House is the only maker I know that offers a "quiet baffel". V&H so far as I know offers just one baffel whichj can be moddified many different ways. At the rear bottom of the muffler cans are 2 bolts where you use a 1/4 inch allen.

The baffels may be carboned in pretty tight, so pad a set if large vise grips to assist in pulling.

As soon as you can grab the baffels in gloved hands do so.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #4

V&H question

That make sense. I'm sure they are just stuck in there with a little carbon crap. I'll pull them out today and see what they look like and are wrapped with.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

V&H question

I finally got them off. I think the previous owner must of just pack more wrapping. That is why they were so hard to get, the pipes were stuffed with the wrapping stuff.

If I just pull the wrapping off will I loose any back pressure or have any issues?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Advanced Member

V&H question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
I finally got them off.
If I just pull the wrapping off will I loose any back pressure or have any issues?
Yes you will lose back pressure & as a result low end torque. Do a search for V&H BAGGER EXHAUST MODS & read a compresensive thread on how to modify the baffles....

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ad=7970&page=2

Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #7

V&H question

Really? Even if I reinstall the baffles? Just without the wrapping?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Top Contributor

V&H question

YES, V&H only makes ONE baffle. its pretty loud IMO. but you can change it and make it quieter/louder depending on your hearing loss. Remove too much and you lose back pressure and perf. goes down.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Top Contributor

V&H question

Utah,
For a really great sound on your V&H Baggers....remove the fiberglass...then wrap the baffle (about three wraps) with aluminum flashing, secured with three 3" hose clamps. You can get the stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Then put one wrap of fiberglass back over the flashing (or not, but that will eliminate the tinny sound) and put'em back in the pipe. This mod will not only improve your sound, but your back-pressure and low-end torque as well.

Take that for a spin and tell me it don't sound WICKED.... !

PS...Read through the link Redeye gave you above for a more detailed benefit list....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 03-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

V&H question

Now these are out clean them, clean inside where they go and before you stuffem back in antiseize them.

Then you you can play around and wrap your with things no one else has, and make the sound a custom fit to you.

Mine are probably naked since the packing blows away, so you can stuff em in naked and try it.

Cloth wrap has been tired, wood stove door glass rope has been tired and lots of folks like it. All kinds of sheet metal has been tried, cutting the baffel in 1/2 and assorted other things have been tried..

being lazy by nature if I do anything it will be wood stove glass rope and maybe add some sheet metal with 1" holes everywhere in it because I want my very own ever so special secret custom baffels The Mac baffel, which works because I baffel the hell out of everyone I come in contact with... Oh well....

Every day I talk to rusted seized broken bolts and none of them ever do what people do. Sooner or later all those nasty broken parts come around to the idea I am the Boss.

So far not one person has seen fit to succum to my demands!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #11

V&H question

I have tried a lot of different things, and for now, what giges me the most performance and sound is here........

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ay&thread=9599

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #12

V&H question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
I have tried a lot of different things, and for now, what giges me the most performance and sound is here........

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ay&thread=9599
That mod does look like it would be great, but how would someone like myself get a hold of some of those baffles?