Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

Bow Hunting??

This guy is faster with a bow than most with a gun.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

I have to wonder what the draw weight is on the bows he uses. None of the shots are far. It's like the cowboy action shooters that use very low power loads. It makes it easier for follow up shots. Just saying. A lot of the shooting sports has become so specialized that it costs a fortune to compete or even participate. It might be more interesting if competitors had to use out of the box guns/bows and ammunition/arrows. Nothing special at all. I am sure they would do well, but not quite at the same level.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

I seen that video the other day on my gun forum, that fella does have some skills regardless of how his equipment is setup.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I seen that video the other day on my gun forum, that fella does have some skills regardless of how his equipment is setup.
Of course he does and I never said any different, but I would find it more interesting and impressive to see the experts use their skills au natural as it were, meaning without any customization. Then the it stands out even more.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Of course he does and I never said any different, but I would find it more interesting and impressive to see the experts use their skills au natural as it were, meaning without any customization. Then the it stands out even more.
Ponch, I've done some competition shooting in both archery and guns. Not at a serious level but more for fun. What I have found out is that the shooters who have everything customized are just flat out good shooters. Hand them an out of box gun and everyone has the same gun, they will still kick your butt.

The reason for the customization in most high level shooting is the fact that they are going after 1/10ths of a point better.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Ponch, I've done some competition shooting in both archery and guns. Not at a serious level but more for fun. What I have found out is that the shooters who have everything customized are just flat out good shooters. Hand them an out of box gun and everyone has the same gun, they will still kick your butt.

The reason for the customization in most high level shooting is the fact that they are going after 1/10ths of a point better.
That explains why you're a shitty motorcycle rider!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
That explains why you're a shitty motorcycle rider!
Brad always likes to upgrade his motorcycle. He sent me a picture after his latest upgrades.

http://www.motorcycle.com/blog/wp-co...yson-Perry.jpg
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

I agree, but how would I compare? If I see them using the same hardware I do and they are amazing, I think that speaks even more to their talent.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I agree, but how would I compare? If I see them using the same hardware I do and they are amazing, I think that speaks even more to their talent.
Odds are they were amazing with no add-ons. Generally you don't spend the money unless you are that good and want to compete with the best of the best. The add-on's don't add major points to your scores, they add those 1/10ths that are needed to top them.

I can attest to one individual in 3 position shooting sports. He was darn good for his age. In prone, he was typically a 100 (10 shots, 10 points max) point shooter. The tie breaking was how many X's you had (dead center shots). He would be in the 8 or 9 X range. He upgraded something on his rifle and went to a 10 X shooter. He was already one of the top shooters even with the same rifle and equipment that we used and he was 8 years younger than me. But to go to the next level, he needed the add-on. He eventually went to Xavier University (one of the top shooting sports universities on scholarship) and then competed in several Olympics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_P...ort_shooter%29

Nebraska used to have a Summer Games for anyone and everyone. I wasn't at the event but a friend was. In the Trap shooting, one of the best in Nebraska at the time cleaned everyone. One of the people way down the line was talking about how much better gun he had and so-on so forth. Well he heard about it and challenged the guy. Same gun and he would shoot 2 positions back to "make it even" in his opinion. Still cleaned his clock. Good is good in shooting sports. The equipment doesn't make the individual because so much of it is mental rather than physical. The one coach we had for our college club said shooting is 90% mental and 10% physical.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Last edited by waterman; 01-28-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #10

He does have a lot of skill but I can't see him prancing over logs and shit after one of these guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown Bear By Bow.jpg (73.3 KB, 5 views)
VBA #02217
06 Nomad
Buy the ticket, Take the ride.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:44 AM   #11

I am impressed,but i just cant see an arrow splitting another oncoming arrow,the shape of the tip is tapered to a point, so even if you could hit it,and despite this video i am not convinced of that, it would just slide past it.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
He does have a lot of skill but I can't see him prancing over logs and shit after one of these guys.
Damn, you got close enough to kill that beast with a bow? You Crazy man.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
You sure mate !

Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Bud you know I might be crazy in some respects, but not that crazy. I've only ever hunted with a rifle. I've got a couple of friends that have taken black bears here in Alberta and I've shot their good compound bows, but at targets only. I wouldn't mind taking it up if I had more time but I would start with deer for sure. That picture was a young fella that got his brown in Northern BC. Here's an interesting link with a guy from Chicago with balls of steel enough for big bear bow hunting.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/big-gam...ear-video.html
VBA #02217
06 Nomad
Buy the ticket, Take the ride.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #15

I am sure what i say will go down about as well as a fart in a wet suit, but what was that all about,and why do people think there is something clever about luring an animal in with the cries of another in distress, and then killing it, for no reason other than to satisfy the ego of the hunter, the bear never even saw his killer, and never had any chance of challenging him. Hunt for meat if you have to, but dont try and glorify it.