Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #16

Ultimate Baffle Install HELP!!!

I used torque cones for backpressure but what did you do to get these shower screens to fit and stay in? very interesting subjet! very inventive!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #17

THe backside of the baffles are drilled and tapped for the 3 screws in the shower drain. They are also inside so you don't see them.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Did you try the marijuana smoke test? You roll a fattie, and light it up, then hold it near the head flanges seeking bright colors and illusions, I mean disturbed smoke.

No screens on mine and no whistle either....I'll have to redo the smoke test as I don't seem to have written down my previous result ;)

Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #19

Cabby, you may have the same problem I do, that is you may have one of your pipes that is not round and exhaust is coming out around the UB. One of my pipes is damn near oblong.
I got some very high temp sealant from Deacon Products (can probably find more info if U need), tried to seal around the baffle by using the sealant and many layers of tin foil.
Helped but can't get it sealed all the way around. Now I just live with it.
One other point; the screens do also help. The bar seems to make the noise worse.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dk dixie"
Cabby, you may have the same problem I do, that is you may have one of your pipes that is not round and exhaust is coming out around the UB. One of my pipes is damn near oblong.
I got some very high temp sealant from Deacon Products (can probably find more info if U need), tried to seal around the baffle by using the sealant and many layers of tin foil.
Helped but can't get it sealed all the way around. Now I just live with it.
One other point; the screens do also help. The bar seems to make the noise worse.
I machine mine as per the plan that was originally posted, but verified the measurements of the pipes before.

Can't recall how much tighter i did the clearance but I've tested them without the screws holding for a 15 mile ride and they didn't even moved.

It does make them harder to install as they are a very tight fit. But I prefer tighter then loose

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #21
Advanced Member

My bike doesnt rattle or whistle but I think I will go try the "mac" test anyway, just to ensure proper operation

Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #22

I haven't had a chance to pull mine back out yet, but mine make a chirping sound on decel!!! My wife says it sounds like a vibration, but I swear its a chirping/squeaking sound. Now if I give just a little throttle on decel it stops. It just chirps when I let her talk to me while slowing down. I'm going to pull them back out and make sure the bar is tight, but I don't know why they are doing it!!! Also, I can't find a set of screens I like to put behind the baffle. Where did you guys buy yours from and what to they look like? Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnomad08
I haven't had a chance to pull mine back out yet, but mine make a chirping sound on decel!!! My wife says it sounds like a vibration, but I swear its a chirping/squeaking sound. Now if I give just a little throttle on decel it stops. It just chirps when I let her talk to me while slowing down. I'm going to pull them back out and make sure the bar is tight, but I don't know why they are doing it!!! Also, I can't find a set of screens I like to put behind the baffle. Where did you guys buy yours from and what to they look like? Thanks in advance
You can get the screens at Home Depot but Lowe's should have them as well. Go to the plumbing section and look for 4" shower drain screens. Some are heavier than others.
Would suggest stainless with round holes. You will have to cut or grind down the screens to fit.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider