Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 05-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

RACNRAY's 2011 Vaquero SOLD

Sad to say it's time for my baby to go. 5 years and one month of , well, just so much. Got me thru 2 break-ups, helped me to meet some really fine peeps and allowed me to continue learnin bout skoots. I am grateful for our time together. It has been virtually trouble free, I did replace the fuel pump at 95,000 miles. Skoot now has 100,031 mls.

Don't be put off by the mileage as this skoot has been well maintained and I have a maintenance log book documenting it's servicing.

Bike is stock except for these additions....

Kawasaki's auxiliary running light kit.

Kawasaki's Gel seat

Chrome tank bib with integral fan switch and LED "fan on" lights.

Extra LED light bars on back of saddlebags, operating as running and brake lites.

Flashing brake lite module.

Klockwerks "Flair" shield mounted onto stock windshield, very sporty lookin but much better wind protection than either shield alone.

My custom made 2-1 air fill system for the stock shocks, has an external filler valve so seat removal not needed to fill the shocks.

DP brand HH front brake pads, EBC brand V series rear pads.

Kuryakyn Hiway foot rests

Has some very nice pin striping applied by Reed, I had that done for it's 3 year birthday!!!

NADA average retail as of 5-21-16 is $9814, low retail is $7453, neither includes price consideration for the auxiliary lite kit.

The skoots is just over 5 years old and with the 100,000+ mils on it has it's blemishes. Chips in the front fender and front cowl paint, but mechanically sound and does not burn a drop of oil...AT ALL.

So all this being said and my realization that the mileage is somewhat of an anomaly, some peeps scoff at a skoot with 30,000 miles...

SOLD

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 08-13-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Good Luck with the sale Ray

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #3

Good luck on your sale. Looking forward to those grips :-))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2006 900 Kawa Classic
2007 1600 Nomad
2013 Voyager

Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

What are you getting to replace it?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

End of an era ... sniff, sniff

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
End of an era ... sniff, sniff
YEP...certainly a fun and educating era..how many miles on ur skoot Jerry?

Old 08-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

I have a buyer for my skoot which will be pickin it up tomorrow mornin. I was hopin I could adapt my custom made "FRANKENRACK" to the new skoot but the dimensions are too great.

I have offered it to him and he will let me know tomorrow if he wants it or not. If he does not want it i'll list it for sale, but here's a heads up on it.

RACNRAY

Old 08-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

What's the new scoot?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 08-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Indian Roadmaster ?

Old 08-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
What's the new scoot?
Indian Chieftain Dark Horse

My buddy (who owns a Vaq) put the text in this pic as a joke...

Damn fine machine...it has it's flaws but had it 3 months now and 4900 mls and still smiling!!!

RACNRAY

Old 08-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #11

Nice looking machine Ray

Glad you like it

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
...(SNIP)...
Damn fine machine...it has it's flaws but had it 3 months now and 4900 mls and still smiling!!!
RACNRAY
Glad you are enjoying her! Another 100K machine?
With that said: What refinements are on the horizon for your Dark Horse? We are curious about your observations and mechanical insight.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #13

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Glad you are enjoying her! Another 100K machine?
With that said: What refinements are on the horizon for your Dark Horse? We are curious about your observations and mechanical insight.

Ride safe,
Smokier
Killin some time this morn b4 I get to werk and figgered I'd respond to this thread.

First, I do miss some aspects of the Vaq that are better than this Indian. I miss the capacious saddlebags, the Indian's DO NOT hold anywhere near what I had in the Vaq's bags. I miss those nice glove boxes in the fairing, they are a very well thought out convenience item. The fairing on the Indian is mounted to the forks, and as compared to the Vaq's frame mounted fairing the Indian suffers. Where the Vaq would "plow" thru heavy winds, gusty winds and turbulence off other vehicles the Indian is very nervous and moves around a bit more. Nothing I have not gotten used to, but I do miss that extra stability of the Vaq. Of course that 1700cc engine is a jewel and with intake/exhaust mods and proper tuning it was an even better "jewel".

Now for the Indian, lets see. The technology Indian put into the frame and the much higher quality suspension components has the Indian out handling the Vaq by a huge margin, and that is comparing this Indian in stock form with my Vaq which had MAJOR suspension mods including revalved forks with Garry's brace and custom Works rear shocks. That Vaq with all those mods was a HUGE improvement over a stock Vaq and was an absolute joy in handling and suspension, but with it's old school frame design just did not have the stability like this Indian does.
The adjustable windshield is a God send, low for around town, and high for hi-way. The stereo is so much better than the Vaq, and due to having a stock speaker fail, I installed speakers from a local audio shop, nothing else needed. The cruise control is better as the c/c on the Vaq always "hunted ", not always holding a steady speed.
The engine is nothing special as it is a somewhat old design and somewhat de-tuned to meet EPA regs, but once uncorked and tuned is a fun engine. We are finding ways and means to extract power, cam swapping is easily done and I am currently werking with a set of cams that has turned this skoot into a monster. DynoJet has the Power Vision CX that allows us FULL access to the Bosh ECU with the ability to alter every aspect of engine performance. Just altering the pathetic RBW settings make HUGE improvements!

The Indian has received some of the same mods as the Vaq did...Corbin seat, better windshield, and I warped the first set of rotors, the replacements seem to be holding up whereas I went thru 2 sets of rotors on the Vaq.

My skoot will be 3 years old in June and even being off the skoot last year due to one month with the flu and 3 months recovering from 4 surgeries the skoot now sits with 52,842 miles, er...SMILES. Every time I ride this skoot or just look at it, I fall in love with it, and within the first 6 months of owning it I got more compliments than the 5 years with the Vaq.

Sometimes in life the opportunity to experiencing a "change" of some type comes along, and this Indian has provided changes that have been positive and inspiring. Until it's replacement comes along, this skoot fills in gaps no other skoot ever did.

Indian has coming down the pike a liquid cooled big twin with frame mounted fairing, features found on our beloved 1700's for YEARS!!!

RACNRAY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2557.jpg (72.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 04-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Couple questions. Looked at these and a couple things I wondered about maintenance. The manual states drive belt replacement at 30K miles. That seems short to me. Also, 20W-40 oil? It didn't list other viscosities. Sounds like they want riders to be tied to the dealership. Just wondering what your perspective is on it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Couple questions. Looked at these and a couple things I wondered about maintenance. The manual states drive belt replacement at 30K miles. That seems short to me. Also, 20W-40 oil? It didn't list other viscosities. Sounds like they want riders to be tied to the dealership. Just wondering what your perspective is on it.
Nobody on the forums have replaced belts, and many such as myself have ALOT more than 30,000 miles.

20-40 is the "RECOMMENDED" viscosity just like 10-40 is Kawi's recommended vis for the 1700, yet that does not stop peeps from running 20-50 in their 1700's does it? The oil vis I would be worried about would be anything with a upper vis rating of 30 or below, otherwise anything werks. The Scouts recommended oil is 15w-60!!! And on Indians website that oil is also oked by Indian for the 111's.

There are many aftermarket oil companies that have been making 20-40 for those wanting/needing to stick with that recommendation, so ain't gotta go to the dealer for oil. As a professional tech I see no need to stick with what the manufacture says as those are always "recommended" viscosities. I have been runnin 15-50 BelRay. The guys out in Texas and those parts have found 20-50 to be "more gooder" (as my ole man would say) when they have temps like 105+. And a few have even used the 15-60 which I plan on using for the next oil change, tho it is Torco oil.

The Indians do come with better OEM tires than the 1700's, mine were Dunlop E3's. The original rear tire was replaced b4 it was completely worn out at about 13,000 miles, and the original front tire last 28,000 miles!!!

RACNRAY