Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toogun View Post
Apparently Ponch really wanted a BWM.

"2009 BWM R1200RT because my shit doesn't stink. "
Not completely true. Before I bought the BMW, I did test ride a Voyager, Vision and Ultra. In terms of performance, handling and features, the other bikes weren't and aren't as good for the most part. If they were, I would have bought one of them. The mentality at all the dealers involved were different too. HD made me sign my life away to take a 5 mile test ride following a salesman. They were nice enough, but I got the feeling it was more about religion than anything else. If I only believed and bought into the HD mantra I would have my dreams fulfilled. Odd. Kawasaki made me sign my life away too and gave me a short route to take, which I ignored as I was by myself. The Voyager isn't as spread out as the Nomad and for me, that isn't good. I also felt that for a 1700, it was pretty tame. No snappier than the 96" HD I rode. The Vision is a better bike than the previous two with one exception: The brakes suck. Well, suck is harsh. Not up to the task at hand. Like two wooden blocks and a dinner plate. Also, the luggage capacity is a lot less than it looks, but a quality bike. With the BMW, the owner of the dealership handed me the keys and said have fun. Totally different mindset. A test ride on a BMW sells itself. It does everything well, stops, goes, handles, has range that can't be matched and if you are used to cruisers, light. So there you are.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Not completely true. Before I bought the BMW, I did test ride a Voyager, Vision and Ultra. In terms of performance, handling and features, the other bikes weren't and aren't as good for the most part. If they were, I would have bought one of them. The mentality at all the dealers involved were different too. HD made me sign my life away to take a 5 mile test ride following a salesman. They were nice enough, but I got the feeling it was more about religion than anything else. If I only believed and bought into the HD mantra I would have my dreams fulfilled. Odd. Kawasaki made me sign my life away too and gave me a short route to take, which I ignored as I was by myself. The Voyager isn't as spread out as the Nomad and for me, that isn't good. I also felt that for a 1700, it was pretty tame. No snappier than the 96" HD I rode. The Vision is a better bike than the previous two with one exception: The brakes suck. Well, suck is harsh. Not up to the task at hand. Like two wooden blocks and a dinner plate. Also, the luggage capacity is a lot less than it looks, but a quality bike. With the BMW, the owner of the dealership handed me the keys and said have fun. Totally different mindset. A test ride on a BMW sells itself. It does everything well, stops, goes, handles, has range that can't be matched and if you are used to cruisers, light. So there you are.
Well you sure did your homework, I'm sure there are lots of us that have that deep desire to own a HD, for me it's the Road King. I just got back on 2 wheels last summer after a 31 yr hiatus, figured I'd start with the Nomad and if I get back into riding as much as I'd like to maybe then move on to something else, like a Road King, although the new Indians are nice. Then again I'm digging the Nomad and it'll likely suit me for quite some time.

However I think you missed the intent of my previous post, maybe you should read it again.

Cheers.

2009 BWM R1200RT because my shit doesn't stink.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toogun View Post
Well you sure did your homework, I'm sure there are lots of us that have that deep desire to own a HD, for me it's the Road King. I just got back on 2 wheels last summer after a 31 yr hiatus, figured I'd start with the Nomad and if I get back into riding as much as I'd like to maybe then move on to something else, like a Road King, although the new Indians are nice. Then again I'm digging the Nomad and it'll likely suit me for quite some time.

However I think you missed the intent of my previous post, maybe you should read it again.

Cheers.

2009 BWM R1200RT because my shit doesn't stink.
I just figured it was a misspelling.

As far as the Nomad, it was bike #4 for me and while there's nothing wrong with the Nomad per se, I wanted something more. I wanted ABS, cruise control, etc. I wish I could have kept the Nomad for a second bike, but such was not the case and in my mind, the 1700 was a departure from a proven and unique brand and made to a price point. Now, the Vaquero wasn't available when I was shopping, but didn't have ABS until this year anyway, but somehow they ran out of good colors anyway…and there was no Polaris Indian then too. A Chieftain might be a nice bike too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11