Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 AM   #1

Checking the lights

Have not been home too much recently, that coupled with the 100+ temperatures the incentive to ride has been at a minimum. Decided to do a night ride after the sun went down at least the temperatures would be in the mid 80s. Besides the poor Nomad has been sitting too long without being ridden.

When I fired up the bike the first thing I did was go through all the light switches. Bright light, dim light, turn signals all worked. Even the tail light worked until I pushed the brake. Nothing. Crap, and do you think I could find the spare bulb I keep around for it, NO! Lost 30 minutes going to the store to get replacement 1157s. Took less than three minutes to replace it after I got home.

I usually carry at least one of the headlight and taillight bulbs in the saddle bag along with the right size screwdriver. No idea when the bulb disappeared. In this case I was a little surprised usually the taillight burns out rather than the brake light. The extra bulb went into the saddle bag.

Overall once I got out of town it was a nice pleasant ride. No wind, not too many cars and I was able to run the bright light most of the time. Took my time and enjoyed a 115 mile ride.

One other habit is to check the horn after I get away from the houses and not too many cars around. At least I know it honked instead of gurgled at the beginning of a ride. Several people I know found out the hard way the horn did not work because they had never pushed the button.

Besides the tires did you check your lights today?
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads