Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #1

Cut baffles off VnH ?

My bud at work says I should cut off some of the baffle in my VnH pipes. I wouldnt mind if they were a little louder but it really sounds ok to me.
I dont like those real loud sounding pipes some people have. It just sounds trashy to me. But thats just my preference.
Mine sound a little like the sound a helicopter makes.

What do you guys think ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #2

Cut baffles off VnH ?

I'd say it is just a matter of personal preference. No right or wrong to it. Although I have read of communities seeking to outlaw motorcycles due to noise, which should concern us all. My preference is the stock pipes. They are plenty loud for me and I like the sound. I think more noise gets tedious on a long ride. But to each his own.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #3

Cut baffles off VnH ?

Don't do it. Cutting off the baffles results in no back pressure and It hurts your low & mid range performance ( thats were we do most of our riding) I've seen the DYNO results were a stock pipes out performed DE-baffled pipes.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #4

Cut baffles off VnH ?

I would not cut them off. At the very most, take the screw out that holds the baffle in and take the wrapping off of them and see if that is load enough. You already said you don't like load pipes, and as the wrapping around the baffles burns out over time, they will get loader on there own. Do what YOU want, and let your buddy do his thing.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #5

Cut baffles off VnH ?

My philosophy is "If it's not broke don't fix it". I thought I needed loud pipes on my shadow and they drove me nuts doing 75mph for 2 hours. I like the stock sound just fine - it may be quiet but it doesn't annoy me. If I had a bar-hopper I would choose loud pipes. For me I'll go with comfort when I'm cruising. To each his own - I have 1 friend who wanted louder pipes and spent almost $1000 on some Rineharts and ended up taking them off because they bugged him. Another friend of mine has Bassani pipes, personally the loudest pipes I have ever heard. He pulled up next to me one day at a stop light and his bike was so loud I couldn't hear or feel mine running and I thought that mine had stalled. He'll ride all day long on his and they don't bother him at all. Do what YOU want its your bike. Keep in mind if you cut them and don't like it you'll ended up buying new baffles. I would start with RB's suggestion and take some of the wrapping off and see if you like that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #6

Cut baffles off VnH ?

Thanks for the replies, good suggestions. If anything I'll try the unwrapping idea. But I think most likely I'll leave them as they are. I remember not long after I got the bike I went for a ride and passed by a cemetary where they were having a graveside service, I just backed out of the throttle and coasted by and they probably didnt know I was there. Nice to know I can do that when I need to.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #7

Cut baffles off VnH ?

Try removing the baffle and fibreglass packing , then wrap the baffle with sheet metal and secure it with 2 or 3 gear clamps and reinstall. It has a nice rumble when you get on it and there not to load when driving normal. Ive tried a couple of variations and like this setup best.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Cut baffles off VnH ?

Well I'll tell you, MINE are cut in half, I first off took off the insulation,(sounded ok) Next I took out the baffles (way to load except at a rally) Then the next step was I took a band saw to them and cut them in half. ( THE BEST SOUNDING V&H's around).

My bike is a 2002 I've been running it like this for the last 3 and half years. Look if you don't like it take it to a welding shop and they can weld it back together.

I have never had my bike DYNOed and probably will never have it done unless I change heads and piston to the thunder kit and really hop the motor up. I still get around 38 to 42 mpg unless I'm running bike harder listening to the great sound.

The main thing is it's YOUR bike do what make YOU happy.
VBA #00077

Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #9

Cut baffles off VnH ?

As most of the folks above have said, It is your bike, do as you wish, but I have a friend who took his baffles out and I had to make him ride behind me and stay away from me at the stop signs.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #10

Cut baffles off VnH ?

First off I like loud, rumbling pipes. I have the V&H baggers which for me are just right. I ride with a group...The Goldwingers think my bike is really loud, but they wear full face helmets so it doesn't bug them on the road. But There are a couple bikes with Thunder headers and no-one wants to ride behind them. Man they are painfully loud. They are OK for short rides, but most of our rides are 200+ miles. They get so many complaints they ride in the back of the pack.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #11

Cut baffles off VnH ?

Our great state of Virginia has a exhaust code that in summary states that, "the exhaust system on any motor vehicle must meet the original manufactures specifications for emissions and noise." Therefore, it is best to stay with what the manufacturer put on your motorcycle on the day it was assembled. This topic has caused considerable controversy in our area.

They are "all" fads or popular "cool" trends. For example, when the movie "Fast and Furious" came out people started putting unapproved lighting, dark window tinting, and all sorts of loud aftermarket exhaust pipes on their vehicles....aka: "fart" pipes. We were told "zero tolerance" and we have been aggressively enforcing the law on all of these vehicles. I have written many tickets on weed eater sounding cars. Many are subsequently dismissed in court for compliance with the law because they re-install or install something in-line with the standard factory style equipment.

A question has since been raised by many offenders and also attorneys about the accepted or lack of enforcement of unauthorized or loud exhausts on pickup trucks and "Harley Davidson Motorcycles". The reality is that our data supports that we do aggressively enforce loud aftermarket exhaust systems and excessive alterations of suspensions or lifts on pick-up trucks. It is just another fad.

However, the fad of loud pipes on motorcycles has been virtually left untouched. In part, because some of these guys literally assemble their bikes in their garage or back yard. Officers question how can we tell what is manufacture spec and what is aftermarket? This has been brought to the attention of the State Police who enforce the safety inspection laws. I for-see a huge problem gaining compliance with the law on motorcycles in the future. It may end up resulting in these motorcycles failing to pass the annual inspection and then not being permitted on the roadway.

It is a great argument and has been a debate among many police officers....but consider this, the manufacturer of a Harley Davidson cannot legally sell a product unless it meets the strict manufacturing requirements of the government. The dealers cannot legally sell any "new" motorcycle (regardless of the make or model) that is louder than those restrictions. People put a lot of their own $$$$$ into aftermarket exhausts to make their bikes "loud" and sometimes, frankly, "annoying." A good question is "Why are they aloud to sell stuff in states where it is unapproved for use on the roadways in that state?" The only winner is the after-market manufacture who is taking lots of money to the bank. What is the difference between middle age Johnny Biker breaking the law and young Fast and Furious Timmy breaking the law? I say none. Guys, I am really interested in your thoughts on the subject.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #12

Cut baffles off VnH ?

I think in our country there are too many overly mandated laws to "protect ourselves from ourselves" that we're losing some of our freedom. I'm not saying we have a right to have loud pipes, or to not wear a helmet. But why should the government decide? They just passed a law here that says you can't park a boat or RV in front of your own house for more than 3 days. Man I'm 52 years old. I know a few things. I should be able to decide whats best for me...as long as I don't infringe on someone elses freedom. AAHHH there's the problem, who's freedom gets protected. Who decides...I say it's the guys with the most money that can sway lawmakers into passing laws and statutes that benefit themselves or their constituents.
Ah forget it...my man Brownback (pres. quiz winner) just dropped from the Pres. race, so we're all screwed anyway.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #13

Cut baffles off VnH ?

Utah is the only state in the west that requires a safety inspection. Many people would like to get rid of it because statistically Utah's roads are not any "safer" than any of the other sates. To me its just a waste of money to take my vehicle in so they can either #1 pencil whip the inspection like most places do or #2 try to find things wrong with your car that aren't even in the safety inspection. It obviously brings in a lot of revenue for the state which is why I think they do it. In utah gambling/lottery is illegal so they have to find any way possible to raise our taxes through state income tax, tax on food, or whatever they possibly can like "safety inspections" Utah is in the top 10 for states with highest taxes.

I don't think a law should be passed against a fad or a trend. Usually a fad or trend will pass. Loud pipes on bikes will always be around but it seems like highschool kids are the only ones who think fart pipes are cool. I haven't seen too many responsible adults driving around with fart pipes. I would guess the highschool kids will eventually replace their mufflers when they grow up or sell their car to another high school kid. I just can't see passing a law against it because there is such a small percentage of drivers who put fart pipes on their cars. Is it bad for the enviornment? is it unsafe? or is it just annoying. I would love to pass a law against everything that annoys me but thats just unamerican. I think people should do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. My new neighborhood is full of stupid rules like no rv's and no street parking etc, etc, etc,etc......... People think any little variation of personal expression is going to diminish their property values when in reality your neighbors yard does not affect your property value and even your own yard doesn't affect your own propery value very much - $5,000 MAX around here. But now extremists are taking over and making rules for us like "no satelite dishes" I'll tell them what...... They can suck my toe! WHERE CAN I GO TO BE LEFT ALONE?!?! SERENITY NOW!!! SERENITY NOW!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #14

Cut baffles off VnH ?

Right On Wolfman!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #15

Cut baffles off VnH ?

"no satelite dishes" Sounds like the cable company in your area has the local officials in their pocket
My uncle lived in a retirement community in florida and put up a Basket Ball hoop for the kids when they visited Man you can't do that, they made him take it down.
It's getting to where you have to get a permit to do anything on your own land.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]