Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
VBA Founder

Nomad Horn

Well, it appears that the Utah trip did my horn in....it no longer works.

Anyone else have this problem with their Nomads? Did you replace with a stock horn or use third party??

Also, I seemed to develop a healthy rattle in the front of the bike. While on the trip, I could here a loud rattle in the front. After getting back, I checked it out. It turned out to be inside my light bucket. Had to really tighten the wiring harness down.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Nomad Horn

Hey Trip, another member recently had the horn quit on his wifes bike. Turned out to be corroded connections and all he had to do was unplug and plug in the leads to the horn.

Gotta tell you though that I really like the Stebel air horn. very, very loud.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-17-2007, 03:12 AM   #3

Nomad Horn

If you have to buy a new horn, just switch to the Stebel. I don't know how long they last, but installation was easy and the sound is great. People in cars actually seem to hear it.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Nomad Horn

Also vote for Stebel. Got a chrome one off ebay.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Nomad Horn

Anybody got any clear wiring diagrams on the Stebel since you have to use a relay and all that stuff/ What do you do with the two wires going to the original horn now? Wiring is not my forte.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #6

Nomad Horn

I also, heard of a couple of instances where the horn button contacts inside became dirty and they just took it apart and cleaned them, checked ok after that.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Nomad Horn

I've noticed a rattle too, but the stealership claimed they didn't hear anything. Glad to know I'm not alone in this...either that or we have the same rattling in our heads. I'll check that out too. Might have loosened something when I changed the bulb.

<marquee>SMITE ME</marquee>

Quote:
Well, it appears that the Utah trip did my horn in....it no longer works.

Anyone else have this problem with their Nomads? Did you replace with a stock horn or use third party??

Also, I seemed to develop a healthy rattle in the front of the bike. While on the trip, I could here a loud rattle in the front. After getting back, I checked it out. It turned out to be inside my light bucket. Had to really tighten the wiring harness down.

Trip
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #8

Nomad Horn

Forgot to say if cleaning the connectors at the horn doesn,t work, hook a voltage meter or test lamp between the wires an hit the button to see if your 12volts is making a complete circuit through the horn button. If the connector cleaning doesnt work and if you have a good circuit through the horn button and the fuse is ok. Probably got a bad horn. (caution) one wire to the horn is hot all the time, when the key is on, don't let the wires slap against any metal parts or together.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #9

Nomad Horn

yeah my stock OEM horn went tits up about 5 months into owning the bike. I have heard of othernomad owners stock horn going bad fast as well. I just went to harbor frieght and bought a good loud cheap horn that works. But I want a horn like Idaho has which is LOUD!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #10

Nomad Horn

Doc, I have the Stebel Air horn. It's loud, easy to install and now,
you can get it in chrome :'( which they came out with right after I
got mine. Had mine for a year now it's never failed to get a cagers attention.
Ride safe,
Dano

Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #11

Nomad Horn

First of all, thanks trip and to all the above for the helpful comments about the noise in my bike. Second of all, I am on my second Nomad and both horns went out within the first year. I rode in the rain with both of them and I think that is what killed the little guys.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Nomad Horn

Quote:
Anybody got any clear wiring diagrams on the Stebel since you have to use a relay and all that stuff/ What do you do with the two wires going to the original horn now? Wiring is not my forte.
Hey Doc, Wiring really is very easy. A relay comes with the Stebel. Look at it to determine which two posts are the relay coil and which two are the normally open contacts. With the key off pull off the two spade connectors from the horn and plug then onto the spades on the relay coil. Then turn on the key and hit your horn button, the relay should click. Now you will need to run battery positive to one side of the open relay contact either with a fused wire from the battery post or from one of the hot aux connections under the seat. You will need the same type of spade connectors that are on the end of the original horn leads. Then run a wire with connectors on each end from the other side of the open relay contact to the positive terminal on the air horn. Then run a wire with one spade connector and one ring terminal from the negative terminal on the horn to a convenient ground on the MC frame. Turn on the key and mash the horn. Oh, I forgot to tell you to plug your ears. Sorry.

By the way, for general knowledge, the horn button on our bikes applies a ground to one side of the horn. the other lead on the horn is always hot with battery positive. That is why my instructions state to turn off the key when you pull the leads off of the horn. If the hot lead contacts the frame, which is grounded, you will blow a fuse, somewhere.
Idaho
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Nomad Horn

Thanks IDaho for the instructions!!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Nomad Horn

Quote:
Doc,

I actually have a document somebody wrote up specifically for installing a Stebel on a Suzuki Volusia/C50. The install on a Vulcan would be similar. It's at home, but I'd be happy to email it to you this evening, if you're still interested. If you buy your Stebel from BikerHiway, it includes almost the same documentation.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #15

Nomad Horn

Doc, look a these sites:
http://www.ridethatbike.com/NOMAD%20...air%20horn.htm
http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/stebel.htm\
Hope this helps.
Dano